• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Showing off at school

I didn't. I had to start again. Luckily the main part that took the most juice was formatting, installing was easier on it and I only had to swap out twice in total. Windows did NOT like that, heh heh. I can't WAIT to get the adapter!

vlad said:
Your Joking right?

Also Try this http://www.dictionary.com/ It helps with spelling things correctly.....

Win 98 is based on DOS, Just like 95 was. The only Windows Os's that are based on the NT kernel are NT it self, the 2k series, ME, the XP's, and Server 2003. The rest were based on DOS and Win32. Also you only need an Install CD to reset the HAL, you can't do it from inside the OS.

Try knowing what you are talking about before arguing.......

Actually Windows ME is based off of DOS, it was the last DOS based version of Windows. That's half the reason it was so problematic, it was really a DOS version of Windows trying to be an NT version of windows from my understanding.

Although it is true that Win98SE and ME borrow a few items from the NT and following 2000 hierarchy, like the WDM device model. From a programmer's perspective, all Win95 up to XP use the same Win32 API, with some differences when it comes to lower level programming, something that normally should not be needed other than for very special programs.

It is also said that XP - or if it is the upcoming Vista - merges a good part of the older Win9X with the NT. NT itself was based of some other OS if I recall correctly - maybe a bit of VMS kernel?

Vista is still based off the NT kernel, I have seen it. The major change in Vista is it no longer uses explorer.exe for the GUI shell anymore. It uses a new one called Aero Glass. Its a well guarded secret, but with the stuff I do with Microsoft, I have found out in a round about way, that they are making a new operating system completely from scratch. New Kernel, GUI shell, new every thing. I forget its code name, but this one is not related to Vista or Server "Long Horn" in any way.

MadMike:
True, I never used ME. (thank god) But 98 still isin't based on NT...

The command prompt in Win 9x is truly DOS, the prompt you get in any NT based system in a NT prompt. It IS NOT dos, its a compatibility prompt to run legacy programs. To see if its NT or DOS just open a command prompt and type the VER command. If its DOS it will tell you the version of DOS it is running, if its NT, it will tell you the NT OS Version. If its 9x, it will tell you the 9x version. Like if I type it into my Windows XP pro laptop I get "Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]" The 5.1.2600 is the version of the NT kernel it is using. If I type this into Windows NT, I get "Windows NT Version 4.0" and in Win 9x I get "Windows 98 version 4.10.2222" Or if I type bash --version into my Tower I get "GNU bash, version 3.00.16(1)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc."

See? The NT ones tell you the NT kernel version, and 9x tells you the win32 kernel version. And DOS simply says what version of DOS it is. Like DOS 3.30 is all it would say. But thats only if DOS is a stand alone OS. And in Bash it tells you the Version of the Bash Prompt.

-Vlad

I'm afraid a brand new system will need a fair bit of legacy support for all the (by then) old software people will want to run. Thus, the current Win32 interfaces as well as old NT kernel calls and whatever will live on at least a few versions into the new system, whenever it would be ready for sale - probably not prior to 2008. Whether it is meaningful to cut away the last Win9X support while maintaining 2000/XP legacy support, I'm not qualified to say, but even with an all new operating system, "memories" and modules which hamper the new system would possibly hunt us a bit well into the next decade.

The Experimental Operating System is no more than a name at the moment. It may even never see the beta stage. It may go no were. Or it could revolutionize the OS world. Who knows? I'll try to find a link to a web site that mentions it.

-Vlad

Heh. Yes, Microsoft have revolutionized the computing world a few times, but often in form of recreating (some would call it copying or even stealing) another technology and put their own patent stamp onto it. They're good at sniffing up and refine - maybe not always improve - technologies so people will buy and use it.

The power supply came in today (yesterday, actually) and not having to switch batteries every now and then is a great thing. Well worth the price.

About M$ stamping their patent on everything, one thing that they didn't get was the 802.11a wireless standard. I'm using the old proxim stuff, and it is really a neat thing. It uses frequency hopping instead of static frequencies (spread spectrum) and that is very secure and can be encrypted very easily. I really don't see why it got canned, even if it was a licensing or paperwork thing. It's a neat concept and resistant to the interference of say, a microwave oven or coffeemaker (very noisy electrical device). And isn't Centrino a 'coveted' idea?

Anyway, the laptop is humming along with win2k and loves its proxim card. Next step is to strip out all the junk, and I'm gonna do it the easy way: litepc.com. I'm not gonna fiddle around with those internal settings since I don't know that much about it. I'll hack 98 or below, but I'm still new to the NT scene.

Awesome, powersupply and 802.11a. Sounds like you really got a great project going. Your right though, I don't know why 802.11a didn't last too long for some reason..... Have you seen the upcoming Pre N wireless? Google 802.11N for the new standard about to come out. Its speed is on the ridiculous side, but it seems good. As for security, I encrypt my 802.11G AP with 128-bit encryption, or I could use MAC Filtering. But you can spoof a MAC address. Its a lot harder to break encryption than it is to spoof a MAC address......

-Vlad

EDIT: I looked it up, 802.11N is suppost to have 200Mbps+ transfer rates. While 802.11A and G have 25Mbps. It will be intresting to see if it really reaches that high of speed under normal conditions......

NathanAllan said:
I really don't see why it got canned, even if it was a licensing or paperwork thing.

I wasn't aware that 802.11a had been "canned". It just happened that the IEEE's "b" standard was ratified before the "a" standard was completed (two different committies), which gave the b-standard a market advantage, with devices hitting the shelves several months ahead of the a devices. The 802.11b standard is also closer to the old (original) "legacy 802.11" standard, so existing devices could be quickly & easily modded to the new standard, but 802.11a devices had to be developed from the ground-up, another setback time-wise. 802.11a has been playing ketchup ever since.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11b

As for lawsuits, Proxim has settled thiers:

http://www.bbwexchange.com/publications/newswires/page546-1238539.asp

But AFAIK, the Symbol < vs > Intermec suit/countersuit is still pending:

http://www.symbol.com/news/pressreleases/intermec_ip.html

--T

vlad said:
MadMike:
True, I never used ME. (thank god) But 98 still isin't based on NT...

I never said 98 was based on NT. Heck, I use 98 SE every day and know darn well that it's DOS based. I was only saying that someones grouping of ME in with NT/2K/XP was wrongas ME is just a bloated version of Windows 98 trying to be just like NT on the DOS kernel by hiding the DOS prompt and having all the fancy icons.

I figure this is on topic cause it involves my school laptop.

Is there a small server program out there that runs like an application? I want to turn my big machine into a file server to service the other two computers, the P150 and the laptop over the wireless proxim stuff I got. All it needs to do is be able to send files through the ethernet card that is there and receive them, as the ethernet is hooked to the proxim base station. But there's no traffic from the station to the computer it's hooked to.

Anyway, is there a server that will run as an application under windows?

carlsson said:
Maybe Millennium Edition is the transvestite of operating systems?

That is one of the greatest things I have ever heard....

As for Servers running as programs, I don't think I have ever come across something like that..... There may be a floppy based Linux distro that does something like that. But I don't know.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays Every One!

-Vlad

DSL (Damn Small Linux) runs on a Single CD

There are Linux distros that run inside of Windows. Never tried it though.

Small update about the network. The laptop's doing okay though. The Proxim stuff is good but my machine didn't like the usb adapter, so I boxed the stuff up. I tried several different configurations of drivers, hardware setups and even changed the topology. If the drivers wouldn't go, then the program wouldn't do right or the machine would keep restarting (solved that one). I can still use it with the laptop but it isn't connecting to anything, since it's meant to be hooked to a server or some kind of high speed something. So when I get a connection like that or a server I'll break the stuff back out. I think it was a windows issue. Whatever. I'll just scrape my pennies and get the 802.11b/g stuff later.

But the original project of the laptop is still running strong! And I still wanna do the linux thing. That damnsmalllinux sounds neat.

Back