• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by bhtooefr

1. B

SCO Xenix 86 System V compatibility with RLL drives?

I suspect I already know the answer to this, but I'm trying to install SCO Xenix 86 System V Release 2.1.3 (I know at least 2.2.1 exists, but the newest disk images I've found are 2.1.3) on my IBM 5155, which has a WD1002-27X controller and a Seagate ST-277R drive, and an existing DOS partition...
  2. B

WTB: IBM PS/1 2121 4MB RAM card (92F9694 or compatible)

Looking for a PS/1 4MB RAM card - I was going to try my hand at making my own, but the 2011 techref isn't being quite as clear as I'd like, for this. Even a 2MB card would be useful, if it's a design that can be converted to a 4MB card (I know the Paragon card is) - I could upgrade it, or I...
  3. B

Are there going to be 301 redirects from the old forum to this one?

From a quick look, it looks like URLs stayed the same, just with the base URL changing from http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/ to http://www.vcfed.org/forum/. Any reason why the old vcforum can't be 301'd to this one? It'd make it easier to, for instance, reply to old threads that are on...
  4. B

Bootstrapping an IBM PC with only blank media and no tweener machine

So, I've been thinking about how someone could bootstrap an early IBM PC with a 5.25" drive (so, 5150, 5160, 5155, 4860, and 5170) without using a tweener machine (to install the drive into), without installing a 3.5" drive, and with only blank media. A machine that comes with a 3.5" drive (of...
  5. B

Forcing REMM.SYS to not probe for cards, instead specifying I/O addresses?

Got an interesting issue, where REMM.SYS 4.70 is wiping out my SMC 8003WC ethernet card's RAM base address (moving it from CE00h to 8000h - yeah, nasty) - apparently its probing for AST EEMS cards is not actually compatible with the SMC 8003WC's EZSetup protocol. None of the docs I've found say...
  6. B

Trying to figure out how the U44 PROM is set up on my XT board

I've got a U44 PROM that is non-stock on my XT 64-256K board, and am wondering if this is someone's one-off custom ROM (and therefore would require dumping the ROM or lots of experimenting to see what settings are available on it) or one that's documented somewhere and I haven't found the...
  7. B

Proper parking utility for a WD1002-27X?

I just put a WD1002-27X in my 5155, and am looking for a suitable parking utility for it. I've got an ST-238R connected to it, properly LLFed to 615/4/26, and the parking utilities I've tried that state the parking cylinder (PARKIT.COM and DMGPark) say it's using 614, and DMGPark refuses to...
  8. B

Warning for owners of VIP TXM/10-II and TXM/8-II motherboards

If you get one of these motherboards, or a system with one installed, be careful with the speaker wiring, as they don't use the XT speaker wiring pinout! I found this out the hard way when putting an original XT motherboard in my 5155 that came with a VIP TXM/10-II, and almost got burned...
  9. B

5155 CGA not outputting color on composite

Just got a 5155, and noticed something weird when trying to use an external composite monitor (a Dell 2001FP). Text-mode software that's supposed to display in color isn't displaying in color, even after issuing a MODE CO80 manually to be sure. Haven't gotten a chance to run any graphical...
  10. B

Help me identify a toy computer from my early childhood - circa 1993?

Trying to remember what *MY* first computer was (I had used the family Apple //c before this, but it wasn't mine until 1994). I want to say it was around 1993, could've been earlier, but no earlier than 1991. Laptop form factor. Yellow lid, grey bottom. Want to say it ran on C batteries. Think...
  11. B

Google is failing me... anyone got a C.Itoh 386 or later? (Most likely in Europe)

This is mostly a repost of my last post in the PCs and Clones section, but it looks like the 286 is too early, and the keyboard would've been sold with a later machine in Europe. A bit of an odd request, but if you've got the keyboard that came with it, can you post pictures? C.Itoh sold a...
  12. B

Anyone got a CIE Systems CIES/286, or any other C.Itoh PC?

A bit of an odd request, but if you've got the keyboard that came with it, can you post pictures? And, if you've got a computer that has the same kind of keyboard as linked below, and it's NOT a CIES/286, can you post what it is? C.Itoh sold a keyboard with their machines that was based on that...
  13. B

Thought I'd go ahead and post my collection...

Some of this might be too new for the "vintage" cutline, yell at me if it is. (The stuff from 1995 on is what I'm shaky on, although the PC Server 500 does use a motherboard that is used by some late 486 PS/2 9595s, and the original RiscPC came out in 1994 and is designed to run a 486 as a...
  14. B

Wanted: GRiDpad 2050 SL power supply

I just got a GRiDpad 2050 without the PSU. Obviously, I'd like to fire this thing up. Anyone got a PSU for it that they'd be willing to part with? I'm in 43055. Thanks!
Back