• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Doug G

1. D

Texas WTB: Hazeltine 2000 terminal, working if possible.

There were H2000A, H2000B and H2000C models of the Hazeltine 2000, and the C for sure and I believe the B models used semiconductor memory, not core. The 2000C was a major re-design of the electronics, instead of a logic rack with 15-20 smaller circuit boards plugging in horizontally, the 2000C...
  2. D

Does an external scsi drive dock with usb to computer exist?

I've been unsuccessful in my poking around looking for some external enclosure that will accept a scsi disk, and connect to a computer via usb. Anyone know if such an animal exists? I have a few old loose scsi disks that I'd like to see what their content is.
  3. D

California fire

Yes, some of your mates are (or were) here enjoying the Southern California heat & smoke. I've been here 30 years or so, and watched the mountains burn a number of times. This particular area of the mountain hadn't burned in 40-50 years and was a fuel-rich environment. I think I read that...
  4. D

California fire

This was the view from my driveway on the 8th Yep, it's a 747 in the picture.
  5. D

Dual 1218 Turntable refurbishment

I have a Dual 1218 turntable that I purchased new in or about 1970. It's been kicking around for a long time unused, unboxed, gathering dust, and probably nowhere close to working any more. I'd like to get it refurbished, and I'm wondering if anyone here messes with vintage audio equipment...
  6. D

Bluebird SuperDOS

Just curious, anyone else ever work with/on systems using Bluebird Systems SuperDOS? It was a multi-user more-or-less DOS. The company that used their systems was running on 80386/80486 systems with usually SCSI disks. It was pretty expensive, licensed per user and needed a licensing dongle...
  7. D

Can the session timeout be lengthened?

Can you increase the php session timeout? I read forums by opening a forum in a new window and look for new posts, but if I wander away for 5 min or so new posts are no longer identified as new.
  8. D

Old Univac TV commercials

To help me waste time, we just got a new cable channel BUZZR that shows old TV game shows. For example, tonight on a "What's My Line" episode a contestant was the executive officer of "our atomic submarine" (the Nautilus). But later in the show was the best part for me, a Remington Rand...
  9. D

Triple Crown

I was servicing state-of-the-art PDP-11's and CDC SMD drives, Hazeltine terminals and Centronics printers last time there was a triple crown winner.
  10. D

Spotted a PDP-8/E

Just saw this, it's over in a few hours http://www.ebay.com/itm/171195246919?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
  11. D

Toshiba 1960cs hard disk interface

I have an old Toshiba 1960CS laptop that's not working, but I'd really like to get the data off the hard drive if it's still there. If I extract the hard drive can I use an IDE external case to get the drive connected to another computer?
  12. D

I've been in the hospital

If anyone noticed my absence for the last few weeks, I was in the hospital but I'm back in the home office now and more-or-less back in business. I can start catching up and seeing all the interesting stuff I've missed. It's nice to be able to type on something besides a smartphone! :)
  13. D

Data General Nova Clone

Back in the 70's I serviced a mini system that printed MICR numbers on check. The system was run by a Data General Nova clone, but I can't remember the company that made it. IIRC DG ended up suing this company out of business. Anyone remember these?
  14. D

The most interesting use of a PDP-8/E system

I used to service PDP-8/E systems in the 70's. Once, when I was in Atlanta for some corporate training on soime PDP-11's, one of the DEC instructors invited me along for a side trip with him to visit a PDP-8/E system he maintained. It turned out the 8/E ran the scoreboard at the Atlanta...
  15. D

Computers in Novels

Anyone else ever read the excellent book "The Adolescence of P1"? It was a book from the late 70's, I read it in the 80's and just found a copy on EBay and I'm looking forward to re-reading it.
Back