• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Floppies_only

1. F

A place to find calculator enthusiasts on the web?

Gang, Of late, I've gotten into collecting scientific calculators as I said. Now I need help with the software for a TI-59 (the instructions for it, specifically). Does anyone know of a place besides Yahoo groups where people who are into this flavor of collecting congregate? I found a Yahoo...
  2. F

Crypto-Journalling

Gang, I was thinking it would be fun to encrypt and publicly post things like journal entries or fiction that I was writing. I got to thinking about using the mathematical functions and large arrays permitted by the implementations of BASIC I knew about (as it turned out, I had been looking at...
  3. F

HP-8X series 5 1/4" disk cross-platform compatibility

Gentlemen, I finally managed to come up with something mathematical I'd like to do using vintage computers. I'd love to do it on an HP-86, but it involves getting text from a word processor into the HP, manipulating it with BASIC, and then getting it back out again for use with a modern USB...
  4. F

"The Sunday Morning Puzzle" on NPR

Gang, Does anyone use one of their machines to solve "The Sunday Morning Puzzle" on NPR's "Morning Edition"? I think that would be so fun, and not cheating at all. Sean
  5. F

[FA] (Not mine but it looks nice) HP-86 on eBay, item 191690842086

Gang, The seller reduced the price on eBay item 191690842086, "Hewlett Packard HP 86" when it was relisted. It has the large monitor, a 5 1/4" floppy drive, a printer, and paper. Just the thing for a person who likes to do math a lot - you can save your programs (I think it takes disks that...
  6. F

Sam's Photofacts for the IBM 5154

Gang, It is for sale by Sam's here: https://www.samswebsite.com/en/photofact/details/index/id/72953 Sean
  7. F

Does the HP-86 need a proprietary composite monitor?

Gang, Someone is auctioning an HP-86 w/o the monitor. I am wondering if it is possible to use it with a Commodore 64 monitor or a TV, even though I am not going to buy it. Another general question, since the auction house told me the seller disposed of the monitor after he tested the machine...
  8. F

Printed circuit board software?

Gang, Is it still possible to obtain software for the C64 that allows you to draw a printed circuit board like on AutoCAD? It seems that you can get disks for the machine well enough, but never the manuals, and I would think this program wouldn't be one that you could figure out intuitively. Do...
  9. F

Load high DOS into expanded memory

Gang, That 5150 I posted about FA with the DOS 5.0 disks made me wonder if there is a way to load DOS high into expanded memory. They didn't have extended memory until the 80286 models, right? Thanks, Sean
  10. F

[FOR AUCTION - not mine] IBM 5150 complete system except the printer ends 4/10

Hi All, EBay item number 231523054220 is a complete 5150 system with a hard drive that is claimed to be in working condition. It comes with DOS 2.1, diagnostics, "Exploring the Personal Computer", and DOS version 5.0 - probably on 360K disks but it would be better to ask and make sure. As I...
  11. F

Any ideas on how to find a computer to play Flight Simulator 2004 with?

Gang, I'm having trouble, because I don't know much about computers, in finding something that I could use to play Microsoft's Flight Simulator 2004 with. I'm trying to upgrade to something with a 3-D video card and a fast processor. I've heard that FS9 ("2004 version") can't make use of a...
  12. F

WTB: Ultimate computer for Flight Simulator 2004

Gang, It seems to be slim pickin's for used desktops that can do a really good job of running FS9 from 2003. One thing I'd like to add (out of many things you can add to FS9 to make it better) comes from here: http://www.blueskyscenery.com/index.html I was hoping to be able to get a system...
  13. F

[FA] (Not mine) TRS-80 Model 1 Computer Orchestra-85 Stereo Music Board

eBay item number: 161457195393 Looks nifty. Anyone know how to remove a post in this forum after auction ends? Do I only have a certain amount of time to do it? Thanks, Sean
  14. F

"Catch your children being good"

Gang, I heard about a device that assists blind persons in navigation on BBC radio. Microsoft developed it and the story made it sound quite helpful when used with a guide dog and once the user has gotten used to it. I see that there is an article on the device online here...
  15. F

[FA] IBM 5162 XT-286 on the place, ends Nov. 4th.

Gang, Well, I tried to find the person who said he was looking for a PC XT-286 in his .sig, but I coudn't. So I'll just let everyone fight it out. There is a machine like this located in the USA state Pennsylvania, and the auction ends 11/04/2014 at 1700 CDT, that being 2200 Zulu. It appears...
Back