• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by pcm2a

1. P

Using a sidewinder in dos games with win95?

I just got in the mail a exp multimedia pcmcia card which has a midi/gameport connector. I fired that bad boy up in a Libretto 50ct with windows 95. I installed the sidewinder software and in windows I can calibrate and see everything working as expected. Obviously the next thing I did was try...
  2. P

Any generic card services for dos that work on "all" laptops?

I'm on the hunt for some dos card service drivers for an IBM 760ED. The IBM site only has them for Windows 95. I took a stab at trying the IBM 755 drivers but they did not work. Are there any generic card services that can be installed and used in dos?
  3. P

Create a drive image on dos/win95 machine?

One of my old vintage laptops is a IBM 760ED. It was uncirculated and has a copy of win95 with all of the stock IBM goodness untouched. I thought it would be great to make some kind of image before I mess with it too much. Backup media: I have access to both a parallel zip 100 drive and also a...
  4. P

IBM 5140 Won't power on, best and worst day ever.

I picked up this 5140 the other day and man is it one awesome old machine. I was bummed that it didn't have the adapter for the parallel/serial. Today I picked up the IBM bag and in the front pocket was the adapter! I got my Xircom and mTCP files onto a floppy, plugged the adapter in, powered...
  5. P

Picked up a IBM 5140, noisy lcd screen?

I picked up a pretty sweet IBM 5140 for a big $20! Came with the bag, psu and a non IBM printer. No extra parallel/serial adapter which is a bummer but it does have 640k of ram. Both floppies work and you can see the application selector running in one of the photos. The battery still holds a...
  6. P

EDO ram help 64mb recognized as 32mb

I bought a pair of IBM EDO laptop ram modules that are each labeled 64mb. I have two IBM laptops that I tried them in, a 560E and 380ED. Both of those laptops have one ram slot and in both the ram reads as 32 and not 64mb. I tried both modules in case one was bad. In the below photo on the...
  7. P

8GB SSD for 486 and pentium laptops?

Has anyone had any experience with 8gb or smaller 2.5" SSD IDE drives in old laptops, specifically 486 to pentium 1 era? Normally I replace dying drives with a CF to IDE adapter and a 2-4gb CF card. It's faster than a hard drive and costs me about $20 on amazon. There is some 8gb SSD's up on...
  8. P

Xircom Rex software?

I picked up a Xircom Rex Pro-5 for a few bucks. Works great but after a thousand hours I have not been able to find any site that still has the True Sync software for it. Back in the day it looks like there was software for Win95,98,NT,2000. The intel site no longer has the software for it...
  9. P

Wanted: PCMCIA Sound Card

I'm looking for a 16 bit pcmcia sound card that has drivers for Dos/Win 3.11/Win95. In all of those environments I would want sound blaster emulation and both sound effects and music. It's ok if the music can't be soundblaster and has to be one of the other choices.
  10. P

Replacing CMOS battery with a different size in a laptop?

CMOS batteries are dead in every vintage laptop I have...obviously. Today I pulled the battery from an IBM and it had a wire going to the positive and negative side. The battery was a rechargable VL2020, 3V 20mAh. I have a big pack of CR2025 3V 160mAh batteries (not rechargable). I slapped one...
  11. P

PCMCIA cd-rom & dos how to?

Might be some silly questions that I'm about to ask. I'd like to be able to use a pcmcia cd-rom on a few vintage 486 laptops. The pcmcia slots work with card socket services already and I have network and wifi (wavelan) cards working great. My question is, is adding a cd-rom as easy as including...
  12. P

Can upper memory go bad?

I just got this IBM 755c laptop configured to have 600k of free memory and then everything has gone into the toilet when I turned on the laptop this morning. For example running any DJGPP games (tried Doom, doom2, duke3d, descent) all give an error "DOS/16M error [2]: not a DOS/16M executable"...
  13. P

How to see free memory areas on a 486 in dos or win 3.11?

I have been playing with a IBM 755c laptop for a few days. I got sound and video working and also a Xircom parallel network adapter. The last thing on my list is the pcmcia slots. My wifi or lan cards are recognized but the drivers never load. For example on the lan card I get an error that the...
  14. P

How to open pcmcia on IBM 755c laptop?

I ran across an amazing find this week, a IBM 755c laptop. The retired man was the original owner of it! It is in amazing condition and still has whatever "stuff" on there that he would have been using such a long time ago. What I cant figure out is how to get into the pcmcia slot on it. I've...
  15. P

NEC Versa 4050c laptop

I picked up this sweet NEC Versa 4050c 90mhz pentium laptop off ebay for $25 shipped. It has a 2.1gb drive, 40mb of ram. It came with a docking station thing and both floppy and cdrom drive although the floppy doesn't seem to work. Also came with a modem with 10meg lan adapter! I have...
Back