• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by themaritimegirl

1. T

Need help choosing a VGA card for turbo XT system

Hi - I have the opportunity to choose one of three different XT-compatible 16-bit ISA VGA cards, to put in my Epson Apex Plus turbo XT system. All three cards have been tested to work fine in an IBM PC, but I thought I would just post here in case someone knows one card to be better in some way...
  2. T

Norton Utilities vs PC Tools?

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions regarding which suite you prefer, and why. I've always used NU on my DOS machines (8.0 on the 486 and 6.0 on the XT), but I would like to try PC Tools sometime.
  3. T

Wanted: ATI EGA Wonder

Specifically one of the ones with the IBM 5155 monitor header on the card. If you're not sure, just send me a pic. :) Located in NB, Canada. Thanks!
  4. T

No luck getting third RAM bank working in AST Six Pack Plus

(EDIT: The title should say *sixth* RAM bank, not third.) My IBM 5155 has 256 KB of memory on the motherboard, and 256 KB on an AST Six Pack Plus card. I recently bought 18 DRAM chips to fill the last two banks on the card to get the full 640 KB. I installed the chips and set the card's DIP...
  5. T

Mixing RAM types in an AST Six Pack Plus?

The AST Six Pack Plus (long version) in my IBM XT has four of the six banks populated with 4264 chips. I would like to populate the remaining two banks, and have the opportunity to purchase some Fujitsu 8264 chips - which are listed as compatible in the SPP's manual. Is it okay to mix the two...
  6. T

Configure IBM 5155/5160 for one floppy drive

My IBM 5155 originally had two floppy drives in it, but I disconnected one of them when it failed. It works just fine with the one drive, except it seems to think it still has two physical drives. If I try to copy a file from one floppy to another, using copy a:[file] b:, instead of prompting to...
  7. T

IBM 5155 mouse TSR driver woes

I've just discovered something really odd. I was idly looking through the list of software interrupts in Norton Utilities, and I notice that software interrupt 10, which is supposedly called "video," is assigned to the mouse! Does this seem kosher?
  8. T

Wanted: HH 3.5" to 5.25" drive bay adapter, with bezel

I need something that will allow me to put a 3.5" hard drive in a half-height 5.25" drive bay. Something with a bezel, so it can be installed where a 5.25" floppy drive or optical drive would normally go. Something stripped from an old 3.5" hard drive that has an activity LED in the bezel would...
  9. T

IBM 5155 mouse TSR driver woes

I'm having a heck of a time trying to get a TSR mouse driver to work right on my IBM 5155, running MS-DOS 5. I have a 90's Microsoft serial mouse plugged into the serial port of an AST SixPackPlus card. It's the only serial port in the system, and so the card is configured as such - COM1 and...
  10. T

Global Pets 2002

Okay, so this game might not exactly be vintage, but it's definitely long forgotten as of ~12 years ago. That and it is 16-bit (although it requires Windows 95 or higher, which is odd). Did anybody ever play Global Pets 2002 back in the day? Or it's apparent predecessor, Global Pets 98 (which...
  11. T

Surge protector neon lamp replacement

I've always wanted one of those generic pizza box-style surge protectors (the ones that look like this), and I'm thinking of getting one on eBay. Knowing that at least one of the six neon lamps in the switches will be burned out, I ask, has anyone ever replaced a neon lamp in one of these...
  12. T

Wanted: Display for Compaq Evo N600c or N610c

I've got an otherwise mint Compaq Evo N610c laptop with no display (LCD spontaneously cracked while I was transporting it one day). If you have a replacement display to fit it (or an entire laptop with a good display), I'd love to make mine complete again. I'm located in New Brunswick, Canada...
  13. T

Wanted: Epson ActionNote 4SLC, 4SLC2, or 500C (for mobo)

I'm looking for one of the three laptops listed in the title. Condition doesn't matter - can be trashed, missing parts, etc - just as long as the motherboard is good. I'll consider an untested unit. I'm located in New Brunswick, Canada. Thanks!
  14. T

IBM CGA adapter, warped composite video

I've just discovered that the IBM CGA adapter in my IBM 5155 Portable PC can't seem to handle graphics modes and high-resolution text modes very well, such as in the MS-DOS shell. When the display is filled with stuff, it results in very warped video (see the attached picture). But in the...
  15. T

Macintosh PowerBook 180C & 190CS, parts/repair

More pictures. Last one is an example of the knurls in the plastic.
Back