• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Tr3vor

1. T

Unknown Quadram memory board

So I got this memory board and I'd like to use it in my AT. It came in the mail with all the dip switches off, and through my pleb tier google-fu, I was unable to find any sort of manual or any information on this board. After a while of goofing around with it, I was able to get it to fill...
  2. T

Slowing down an IBM AT

So I just recently got an AT, the 8mhz model and I was wondering if there was a possible way to slow it down. I see on minuszerodegrees.net that the BIOS checks the speed of the CPU before booting to make sure there is no overclocking, and I would assume the bios would also throw a fit if there...
  3. T

IBM PS/Valuepoint 6387 software?

I've recently acquired another 486 computer, because I definitely don't have enough of those, and I've been struggling to find any software or drivers for it. The couple of sites that I've seen that had the drivers only linked to an FTP server that no longer exists from what I can tell, so I...
  4. T

Help with a Compaq Deskpro 4/25is

So I found a couple of Deskpros at a thrift store for $5 and bought both of them. One is a deskpro 4/25is and the other is a 4/33i. Since They were labeled for parts only, I bought both so I could possibly have a working computer out of the two. Both of them worked right away, which was sweet. I...
  5. T

AST Premium Exec 386SX/20 missing power supply

I found an AST Premium Exec 386sx laptop at a thrift store for $5. Judging from the sticker on the back, its got a 20mhz 386sx, 2mb of ram, 40mb hard drive and a 1.44mb floppy The problem is that I was unable to find its power supply there. The power for this machine is a weird 8 pin mini din...
  6. T

Replacing my 486's CMOS battery

So my 486 had one of those standard canister style batteries in it. It was removed when I got it so I spent the year having to enter all my settings in the BIOS every time I started it up. I'm getting bored of that. So what can I use to replace that battery? I was thinking a AA holder type deal...
  7. T

SB16 freezing P75?

I got a pentium 75mhz machine from a thrift store two days ago. It had Windows 98 Plus on it. That was far too slow so I installed DOS 6.22. So the problem here seems to be that the PnP bios is choosing parameters for the SB16 Vibra card I have that conflicts with other stuff. Every time I take...
  8. T

Looking to find some L2 cache for my 486

I was looking around inside my 486 machine when I took a closer look at the cache area of my motherboard. I saw the jumpers and they were set to 256k of L2 cache. I thought that maybe the empty sockets were for more and that 256k was built in or something, but when I turned on the computer and...
  9. T

1.2mb 5.25" Floppy drive price check.

How much should I expect to pay for one of these, I'd like one to go in my 486 machine. Hopefully its under $20 :P
  10. T

a new AT&T 486SX computer that I may have toasted..... :(

you see, that one pin that was toasted and that one hole that was blackened, and I don't know why, but that blackened pin is now slightly bent. it was giving me a beep code without a video card and garbage with a video card before I accidently rotated the cpu and roasted it, and I don't know...
  11. T

a new AT&T 486SX computer that I may have toasted..... :(

so, I plugged it in and turned it on and it didn't work, so I took it apart, and this is the situation. up by the keyboard port there was a place for one of those infamous batteries that usually end up leaking everywhere, but it wasn't there, and there was no corrosion, so someone was on top of...
  12. T

My first free computer :D

I walk into this computer selling/repairing store and saw this stack of various computers. Most were scrapped out P4 systems, and then I saw the back of this one and saw an AT keyboard port. It was the only computer with all its innards and expansion cards in it. I asked the guy whats up with...
  13. T

Western Digital Caviar 21200 going bad?

Well, I have a WD IDE hard drive, a caviar 21200. its 1.2GB and I have MSDOS 6.22 on it. It's my favorite drive, just because of how it looks and sounds, its just cool... but lately when it does its start up seek test it makes a clink noise and the seek test goes longer. The first time that...
  14. T

IBM 5150 model A (not mine just found it)

Yeah, I just saw this on ebay, and thought you guys would like to know about it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/170829415626?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_11242wt_1185
  15. T

Is it possible to have a shared network folder on vista that windows 98 can access?

Exactly that. My Pentium's USB support is not that great and crashes a lot when I use my flash drive. I want to send files back and forth between my windows 98 pentium computer and my windows vista laptop via network.
Back