• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Twospruces

1. T

8250 serial port speeds on XT, AT

I have 2 machines displaying very different speed capabilities on RS-232. 1) Z-171, 80C88 4.7MHz, 8250 UART with 1.8432MHz crystal --> works well at 9600baud, but receiver cannot keep up at 19200 baud 2) Sharp PC-6220, 80286 6/12MHz, unknown serial hardware --> supports 115200 baud obviously...
  2. T

Laplink- transfer between modern PC and MS-DOS 3 PC?

I suppose I did the linux version of what is posted at minuszerodegrees.
  3. T

Well, I have some news to report. I have a (so far) got a working solution which turned out to be pretty simple. - using Laplink III (bundled with my PC-6220) Laptop end: Zenith Z-171, Laplink III, MSDOS 3.3, 9600 baud PC-6220, Laplink III, MSDOS 4, 115200 baud remote end: - fairly modern...
  4. T

I don't think Kermit meets what I think would be convenient. Probably why Laplink existed. Kermit might provide excellent transport for a single file, it isn't a convenient UI to browse a remote directory structure. If I understand Kermit correctly, it would provide a command line for which...
  5. T

Yeah... thanks. I feel like a real tweener machine that, on the one hand can mount a network share and on the other hand can run Laplink over serial would be good. The question is... how to build that on modern kit? Qemu? PCem? 86box? DOSbox? Linux? Windows? Honestly I'm surprised this isn't...
  6. T

Tweener machines are a challenge if you don't already have one. I have a feeling this little journey is eventually all about the mismatch in performance between new hardware and old software. Maybe fast Lynx is the answer, but I don't really like that you control the process from the new...
  7. T

Thanks for these very useful replies! I got started today on one approach, as follows. Using Ubuntu on a modern pc Running VirtualBox on ubuntu Running msdos3.3 in VirtualBox Running laplink III in msdos 3.3. Transfer via serial cable Vintage machines zenith Z171 8088 with msdos 3.3. sharp...
  8. T

hi, I am contemplating using Laplink to make transferring software over to my old Zenith Z171 (5.25 floppies) a bit easier. I believe you need to run Laplink software on both ends of the transfer serial cable - the target Zenith laptop and my PC sitting nearby. I think it is clear that I can use...
  9. T

Safe to open up an mfm hdd to try and fix it?

hah! managed to spot-weld that metal ribbon with two sharpened nails and a car battery ;). A bit messy and a touch shocking. but it works! So the parts drive is reassembled but alas still cannot find track 0. I blame it on the visible flake of coating missing from the top platten in the...
  10. T

Ontario Wanted: Kyocera KC-20B MFM drive for parts

Hi I am interested in a parts donor KC-20B. Or also a KC-30B. DM me if you have one and are willing to part with it. Thx
  11. T

hey Famicomaster2 - any chance you have a parts drive? I kinda wrecked the flexi steel band by being a bit too rough. I think my chances on spot welding the little plate back onto the end of the band are slim to none! ;)
  12. T

track -1! exactly. I think it has to see a specially marked track on the disk that is one notch out from what is intended to be track 0.
  13. T

for fun, I decided to move the stepper from the good drive to the bad drive. that did not work. same problem. So I moved the stepper back to the good drive. I had a really hard time getting it to find track 0. eventually,.. by playing with the placement and mounting of the stepper, and the...
  14. T

Rk06 disk packs

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other/hamilton/vintage-new-rk06-memory-disk-packs-now-99-ea/1539581953 Thought this might be of interest..
  15. T

The metal stop bang is so loud... I find it a bit hard to believe. So I tried the following, to take the lash out of the adjustment. . Let the drive spin up, bang around and settle at the last step that it can muster. . Drive spins down . Leave powered. This locks the stepper . Adjust stop so...