• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. N

PC XT with 2 RLL hard drive controller cards

Hi, Is it possible to install 2 RLL hard drive controllers in the same PC? I know one controller can handle 2 drives, but I'm curious to know if I can install one hard drive in each controller. It seems like it might be posible. I've read someone used 2 controllers, one was MFM and the other...
  2. N

Does Turbo Assembler or MASM come with an IDE?

Hi, What type of integrated development environment do you guys use when coding assembler in DOS for a PC-XT? it seems like neither TASM nor MASM comes with an IDE. Are there any good IDEs I could use or am I stuck using MS-DOS edit? Thanks!
  3. N

Read/Save MFM hard drive contents to modern PC

Hi, I would like to backup the contents of the MFM hard drive to my modern PC and also I would like to create a hard drive image and then send it to the XT. My idea would be to use either the serial or parallel port because those are the only ones avaliable that I have. I havent been able to...
  4. N

Modify XT BIOS to replace monitor and keyboard using UART port

Hi, I recently bought an XT with no monitor or keyboard. Where I live hercules monitors and XT keyboard are very difficult to find and therefore very expensive. So I'm thinking about modifying int 10h and int 09h so that any text that is displayed on screen is sent to the UART port. Do you guys...
  5. N

DOS Sound Card Drivers for AsRock N68-S Motherboard

Hi, I have a AsRock N68-S which I want to use for DOS gaming but the board doesnt have any drivers for DOS. Is there any workaround to make the onboard sound work on this board? Thanks!
  6. N

DOS 2D Game Engine

Hi, I'm looking for a simple 2D game engine for DOS. I found this one: https://www.drdobbs.com/parallel/your-own-two-dimensional-gaming-engine/184410057 But its not possible to register to download the files. Does anyone know some similar project I could use? Thanks!
  7. N

Booting DOS from an 8086 simulation with Proteus

Hi, I've been trying to make an 8086 system with Proteus that would boot DOS. The system has a timer 8253, interrupt controller 8259, PPI 8255, and 2 USARTs 8251 (one is used as a video and keyboard). Software is loaded into memory using 2 ports (I used one port as input and the other one as...
  8. N

How to load memory when BX register wraps around in 8088 CPU?

Hi, I need to code a routine that will load up to 65535 (FFFFh) bytes into memory location pointed by ES:BX. The problem that I'm facing is that I will have to change both ES and BX depending on their values. If ES=0000h and BX=4000h and I want to load FFFFh bytes then I have to modify ES when...
  9. N

Whats the bare minimun to boot DOS?

Hi, I need to develop a system that will be able to boot DOS with the absolute minimum. Since I haven't been able to find a project like this I'll have to develop both the firmware and the board. My guess for the hardware would be: 1Mb of static RAM CPU 8088 UART1 (used as both monitor and...
  10. N

pdp8 MAINDEC Memory Test Results

Hi, I'm trying to run MAINDEC-8E-D1AA-D on a pdp8. It seems like the upper core test is successfull but the lower one fails. Here is a video of the upper test: https://youtu.be/y5M5JD5Q9V4 I get a single character after 5 minutes on the upper test, but not the number 5 character as the manual...
  11. N

OS8 Disk Server Console TTY Baud Rate

Hi, I would like to boot the machine using the OS8 disk server program but I'm not sure how to set the console TTY baud rate. Where are these settings located? Thanks!
  12. N

What Programs can I Run on the pdp 8/e?

Hi, Is it possible to run BASIC, FOCAL or FORTRAN on the pdp 8 whitout having the machine to boot OS8? I would like to test something else before atempting to boot OS8. Thanks!
  13. N

How to upload test programs to the pdp 8/e

Hi, I would like to start executing some test programs like D0AB, D0BB and D0CC but I'm not sure how to do it. I'll be using a PC with serial port and Tera Term. Is this the correct way of uploading them? 1- Key in RIM loader (there seems to be 2 versions, high speed and low speed? not sure...
  14. N

Questions About the TU56 Tape Drive

Hi, I would like to start testing our TU56 drive, but I have a lot of doubts about how to operate it. What I did so far is to turn it on and connect it to the M868 board. Here is a list of questions: 1- Is it necessary to boot the machine in OS8 to test the drive? or is it possible to make...
  15. N

How to test M8655 serial board

Hi, I'm trying to test the M8655 board but I can´t make it send any character. This is my configuration: Jumpers: FIL - open TTY - open SWD - closed W2 - closed (9600 baud) W5 - open SB - open (no stop bit) NP - open (no parity) EVN - open (even parity) NB1 - open (8 bits per char) NB2 -...
  16. N

I Need Help Restoring pdp 8/e

Hi, We have a pdp 8/e system in our museum. The system is currently dissasembled (there are no cards in the main card cage). I was able to locate the cards but since I have no experience with this kind of system there are a lot of things I'm not sure how to do. Here is a list of issued I need...
  17. N

Apple Lisa 2 Keyboard not detected

Hi, I'm trying to restore a Lisa 2. But Im getting a keyboard not detected, two hi tones followed by a low one and the keyboard icon with a question mark on the screen. I found this website: http://john.ccac.rwth-aachen.de:8000/patrick/KBDtester.htm and it says that after reset (hold the data...
  18. N

Whats was the pdp8 and pdp11 used for when they were new?

Hi, I would like to know what type of problems these machines were used to solve when they were new. Is there any kind of source code out there? because I cant seem to find information about this. Thanks.
  19. N

I need the Operative System for AS400

Hi, I need to install an OS for this machine. Where can I get it from? Thanks!
  20. N

Toshiba Libretto 100CT DC Connector Name

Hi, I have a Toshiba Libretto 100CT with a missing DC power connector. I would like to know if posible the name of this connector so that I can find it. I think I was this same connector used on different things a while ago but I'm not sure. Thanks!
Back