• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. T-Squared

Compaq Portable III: Using multiple drives/storage devices on IDE controller possible?

All right. I have had success in using XT-IDE on the Compaq Portable III, thanks to a patched BIOS ROM from VOGONS: https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=62482 The problem I am having now is that I have a dual-plug cable, but it only reads and accepts one CF card. The other one is read as...
  2. T-Squared

XT-IDE AT/x86 version: Unable to configure ports and addresses?

Since I have my Compaq Portable III in easy working order again, I want to try using XT-IDE as a pair of option EPROMS (note the missing "E") in the extra chip sockets provided on its motherboard. (That is, if it has the capability to do so.) The only problem is, I can't configure anything for...
  3. T-Squared

Logic Analyzer Software Preserved! (Borge Instruments)

I was able to get a 24-channel, 50MHz Borge Instruments logic analyzer for older systems at a nice price. It was a bit expensive at $50 grand total but much cheaper than what you can find on eBay nowadays. Also, considering how much technology comes from China now, I'm not taking a risk on them...
  4. T-Squared

Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Joystick Thumb Handle PCB photos? (Need specific parts)

I was wondering if anyone could take a photo of the PCB for the thumb area of the Sidewinder Force Feedback Joystick's handle. I'm trying to make a new PCB that can replace the original, given that the buttons used on it and the hat controls may have lost effectiveness over 25+ years, and those...
  5. T-Squared

Is there a way to test a logic gate in-circuit without removing it?

I tried using an XGecuPro tester wired with a chip clip, but when I start the test, it trips the overcurrent protection, which I'm assuming means that whatever electrical power goes out to test the chip doesn't come back in. Does a tester exist where a logic gate IC can be connected through a...
  6. T-Squared

Texas Macintosh 128k/512k Motherboard-Floppy Drive Frame: $30

I have a Mac 128k/512k frame that I don't need. Be warned, I don't know if it's my particular Macintosh's plastic casing, or if this frame seems to have a subtle factory defect. The floppy drive sits ever-so-slightly off-height, making it hard to put floppy disks into the drive. You might need...
  7. T-Squared

Toshiba T3200SXC Restoration - An effort 6 years in-progress...

Urgh. This is one of the best computers I have ever seen, but the worst deteriorating system. Curse the capacitors! Despite that, I have made efforts, and progress, thanks to an idea that Adalbert from Hackaday and Youtube brought forth. I'm planning on putting a bit of a spin on his work, to...
  8. T-Squared

XT-IDE for Toshiba Expansion Port Not Working

A while back, I bought Conventional Memories' special XT-IDE card for Toshiba's proprietary laptop expansion port, for my T3200SXC. Recently, I haven't been able to get it to work, and I'm not sure what the cause is. I know it could be any number of factors, but the problem I'm facing is that...
  9. T-Squared

Needed: Photos of Okidata ML-192 Platen Guide

I gave up after 5 years and decided to buy a new logic board for my vintage printer. Unfortunately, It's sat so long that I've forgotten how two springs attach to the platen guide/tab delineator. I need someone to take photos of the two ends of the platen, where the two levers for adjusting the...
  10. T-Squared

A possibility for A Load-Diode/Resistor version of the Dallas RTC replacement?

I have a Compaq Portable III, and unfortunately, I wouldn't know where to get the special battery that powers the real-time clock. I figured that using Glitchworks' RTC replacement was easy enough, until I started having problems with it keeping time and settings, or even just starting up...
  11. T-Squared

Asus P3B-F needs IRQ/DMA Resources refreshed at every power-on for DOS-in-Win98 applications/games

I've run into a weird problem with Asus boards... It seems that to make Doom, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, Epic Pinball, and a host of other games to run with Sound Blaster 16 sound and music properly, the IRQ and DMA resources need to be refreshed in Windows 98 (i.e. changing "Basic Configuration...
  12. T-Squared

Can a heat gun kill an IC, even if it was never directly in the path of the heat?

I covered this partially in a different topic, but I put it here, given its connection to all electronics. I think, last year, during my attempt at upgrading the memory of my Macintosh 128k, I accidentally killed the 68000 CPU. My reasoning is that the system no longer gives me the bell tone...
  13. T-Squared

Oddity with Monotech-Blue Lava XTIDE Card

After the previous card I used failed, I got a new one, but I'm running into another oddity. My XTIDE card assigns the Primary CF drive as E: instead of C:, and I'm not sure what letter the Secondary CF is assigned as. (I have 2 CF media cards on the XTIDE) Do I need to adjust the IDE Address...
  14. T-Squared

Does a vintage system have a limit as to the fastest RAM access time it can use?

I am working on restoring my Game Gear, and I seem to have zapped its SRAM by accident. The system began giving me badly-placed tile images, and when I clipped out its video SRAM, it gave me gibberish. No biggie. Floating pads with no inputs? That's expected. However, when I bought some new...
  15. T-Squared

Sanyo MBC-##5 (675, 885) manuals and/or service documentation

Okay, since I have conclusive evidence that the MBC-775's memory was intended and able to be upgraded, I need a reference for how that is done. Unfortunately, Google, despite controlling our very lives, doesn't have any information or documentation about how the system was laid out. If anyone...
  16. T-Squared

XT-IDE (Blue Lava Systems) Card Failure...

Somehow, the XT-IDE card that I use in my Sanyo (yes, I'm still working on it) has failed. I have checked multiple factors including: *Card-To-ISA Slot contact (Even moved it to a different slot to check if it worked, and used contact cleaner) *ROM Integrity (My XGecu reader reads and shows the...
  17. T-Squared

A simple, but important replacement for Analog Board Capacitor C1 in 128-512k Macs

Since C1 is a unicorn for many people (3.9uf, 25v), on a whim, I decided to figure out what to replace C1 with on the analog board. (I was recapping the analog board to make sure that the startup problem I've been having is not related to it.) It turns out that a 4.7uf 450v non-polar capacitor...
  18. T-Squared

Loss of Colors/Color Contrast on CGA monitor...

One thing I've noticed with my Sanyo MBC-775 is that the internal monitor does not show the proper CGA palette. I know I've been saying this in multiple threads, but I found it has gotten worse. The colors affected are Cyan, Magenta, and White. (I want to say there's one more, but I can't be...
  19. T-Squared

Memory Speed Requirements for IBM 51x0 series?

I'm just trying to figure out what speed of memory I need for my Sanyo MBC-775 (5160 clone) system, just to be sure it won't conflict or brick my system. (The bad memory I have already does that... >.>) I'm thinking that everything to make the 640k memory upgrade work is already in place, just...
  20. T-Squared

Memory Structuring in Vintage Computers: Where does Row 1 begin?

In my recent adventures in getting my old systems to work with increased memory (My Sanyo MBC-775, and my Macintosh 128K), I've been having a bit of a problem trying to figure out where the start of memory begins: Which is row/column 1? Does it start closest to the CPU, farthest from the CPU...
Back