• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. G

Why Can I Not Delete Certain Registry Keys

Hi Guys, I tried to install an HP printer (using the supplied CD) on the Windows XP x64 side of my machine as the software said it was good for Win98, Win2000 and WinXP. Turns out it apparently doesn't work with WinXP x64 as it could not even identify the correct OS (it thought the OS was...
  2. G

A Puff of Smoke and All is Well

Thanks guys. I looked at the MB and I do not see any caps with mushroomed tops so if there is a blow/damaged capacitor it must be inside the power supply. I'll have to remove a couple CD drives to get at it. I kept the machine running yesterday for about an hour and there were no other signs...
  3. G

A Puff of Smoke and All is Well

Hi Guys, I have a P90 computer I do not use very often. The other day I went to boot it up and it went on for about a second and then off. I tried a couple more times with the same result. Today I took the cover off and unplugged the power supply from the motherboard and the machine stayed...
  4. G

Win XP x64 Hard Drive Limit?

You guys are correct, it let me activate online. I guess the phone system works different as it would not let me activate. In searching around I found two updates which allow Windows Update to function. Those were KB3020369 and KB3125574. So I've applied a bunch of updates and now need...
  5. G

I have a legitimate, legal product key, I just need to do the activation. An easy way to do this may be to disable the Software Protection service. With this service disabled no updates can be applied. But then again, I think I have all the updates I need.
  6. G

One more thing...and this question may be out of line for this forum. Is there a simple way to turn off Win 7 activation once the phone system method no longer allows you to activate? It's not as if Microsoft is going to provide me any more help. Thanks...Joe
  7. G

It has always been my belief that computers should never be kept near an open window....the temptation is just too great! Now if I can only find a driver for the only device under Win XP I have been unable to locate. If anyone knows where I can find a "6 series /c200 MEI controller #1" let me...
  8. G

Wow...I wish I understood even a small percentage of that article. Who actually knows all this stuff? I seem to have gotten around the problem. In looking at the article a couple simple things I could try stood out. Remember I am working on the Win XP x64 side of the machine. Here are...
  9. G

Hi Guys, After making the changes provided to me in earlier posts, it looks like the internet is running far better than I have ever experienced before. I would say the two key changes were the installation of uBlock Origin and changing the DSN addresses. Hopefully I will remember these next...
  10. G

I just got around to doing the above steps tonight so I will have to see how they work over the next day or so. When I got to the page where I could enter the DSN addresses, I put in the two numbers above and then hit OK. A popup came up saying I needed to supply an IP address. I changed the...
  11. G

Thanks guys. Is there any chance this has to do with network settings? As I said previously my knowledge of networking is quite minimal. Still the greatest mystery to me is how one browser can tell me to wait an hour while the other browser lets me get in right away...while the first...
  12. G

Hey, I am willing to try anything at this point. Here's the latest. This afternoon I used the machine for a couple hours under Chrome with no hiccups at all. Then around 9pm I started the machine again and used Chrome to try to sign into my Yahoo e-mail. Once again I had to hit the reload...
  13. G

Thanks for providing me with the location of the ublock icon. Now I can see how many things get blocked. The next step will be to understand all the options...there are a ton. Yeah I have to consider moving my e-mail to another provider. But what a nightmare that would be as I'd have to...
  14. G

Let me first clarify I get the "wait one hour" or "wait xx minutes" message out of Yahoo (or my ISP?) not when trying to bring up the home page but after I enter my user ID trying to get to Yahoo mail. Interesting comment on seeing that message because it may be the wrong password was used. I...
  15. G

Just an update...after the hour was up (I was online the entire hour-plus), Yahoo worked just fine and fast using either browser. I changed nothing, I just went on Youtube for more than an hour. Makes no sense. Meanwhile I will look into your other suggestions. Here's a wild thought...could...
  16. G

I did a couple things yesterday on the Dell. First I installed the uBlock extension onto Firefox leaving all the defaults in place. I then downloaded and installed Chrome, once again adding uBlock to this browser as well. I left all the uBlock defaults in place since my knowledge of all this...
  17. G

As mentioned above, I am not using the XP side to access the internet on the Dell. I have two machines set up for the internet. The old computer is an eMachine running Win XP x64 and Win 7 X64. The replacement (newer) machine is a Dell running the same two OSs. I can access the internet from...
  18. G

By the way, I hooked the Dell back up and I am writing this from the Dell. No issues with access to this site but access to Yahoo is not working fully, and sometimes not at all. I did not set up the XP side on the Dell to access the internet although I can do that either later today or...
  19. G

Thanks guys for the help. I have to first state that I am a complete novice when it comes to networking. I have always hoped that after I load drivers the connection to the internet just happens. Up to now it has. The old machine has no wireless ability whereas the the Dell does, although...
  20. G

There are a few different internet issues but they basically come down to certain sites hanging and getting messages, usually through Youtube, that I am offline (which I am not). I have to constantly hit the "stop loading" and reload buttons to get some websites to finally display. Another...
Back