• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. H

Smoke Signal Broadcasting Chieftain (SS-50 Bus SWTPC Clone)

Picked up a really ratty one that I'll be bringing back to life. Chatting with some folks over on the https://www.facebook.com/groups/SS50BusComputers FB group (seemed the most active), but posting here also if anyone has manuals or other info for this. Not a whole lot out there at the usual...
  2. H

New project, Altos ACS8000-6

Took a chance on a local auction site Ended up with an ACS8000-6 and Winchester drive unit with a Shugart 400B hard drive. Other than disintegrating foam and the usual dust build up, looks to be in pretty good shape. Going to leave the hard drive alone for now and work on getting the...
  3. H

New Z80 CMOS NMOS Tester

Created a new Z80 tester PCB to sort through my stack of China sourced remarked chips. Unlike a simple NOP tester, this one loads code from an EPROM, can test at multiple frequencies, and distinguishes between CMOS and NMOS versions of the chip. Designs are available at...
  4. H

SBC6120 "Mini" Front Panel

After designing the mounting plate this weekend I couldn't leave well enough alone. I need my blinken now! Behold a mini version of the FP6120 front panel scaled down to fit on the SBC plate with the cheap Chinese CF adapter, sorry, no IOB6120 option here. Using sub-miniature toggle switches...
  5. H

SBC6120 RBC 3D Printable Mounting Plate

Someday I'll go full blinken with switches, but until then something a little nicer than standoffs with the connectors flapping around. :) Design files and STL's at https://github.com/djtersteegc/sbc6120-rbc-mounting-plate if you're also in need.
  6. H

Building the world's (currently) smallest RX02 emulator

Yet another spin on AK6DN's RX02 emulator project. This was my original idea that I shelved after deciding to build the standalone LCD/button version. After seeing AK6DN back at it with his new SMD design to optimize of automated assembly, I decided to finish this one up and add a couple more...
  7. H

New PCB based on AK6DN's RX02 emulator, now with an LCD menu

Just in time for VCF Midwest, ThisPostContainsComputers and I finished up initial testing of a new PCB based on AK6DN's excellent RX02 emulator design, with the addition of a display and buttons so it can be run without the serial terminal. Still some work to do on the menu system and further...
  8. H

Replacing the power supply in a Commodore PET 8032

Picked up a CBM 8032 with a bad transformer a few years back. Posted about how to fix here http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?65594-Converting-CBM-8032-PET-to-switching-power-supplies and finally got around to cleaning up the wiring and permanently mounting the parts. Here's the parts...
  9. H

Recreating the Ferguson Big Board

As part of a recent estate sale, my son and I ended up with two Big Boards, one built, and the other almost completely bare. Stripped the bare one down, took a couple of scans on a large format flatbed and started doodling in Sprint Layout. Doesn't look to bad to replicate if anyone is...
  10. H

At VCF Midwest, dragged along some SBC6120 RBC full kits and FD50to34 Adapters

Everything you need to build one, including the HD1-6120 chip and preprogrammed ROM's and GAL's. https://www.retrobrewcomputers.org/doku.php?id=boards:sbc:sbc6120-rbc-edition:start The ultimate Adventure game platform. $120 Also have some of NF6X's excellent 50 to 34 pin adapters (8 inch...
  11. H

Converting CBM 8032 PET to switching power supplies

Picked up a 8032 with bad transformer a while back, my son posted about it here. http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?55630-Commodore-CBM-8032-Transformer-Problem&highlight=8032 Primary winding is open circuit, didn't see a thermal fuse anywhere. Bottom line is fixing the transformer...
  12. H

Troubleshooting a Kaypro II power supply

Picked this up from a neighbor awhile back, didn't power on at the time and the 12V line showed 0V under load, no load it showed almost 12V. Unplugged everything except for the logic and video boards, did a quick check on the boards and didn't find anything pulling the 12V line down, so just...
  13. H

Zenith Z-90 repair log and schematic request

My son recently acquired a Z-90 that would start-up, but only displays a cursor, no H: prompt. Seems like the CPU board is not starting. A quick tear down and right away here's a problem, blown tantalum cap and lifted traces all the way back to the power input on the +12V area of the CPU...
  14. H

Model 4 Screen Brightness Issue

Once the CRT on my Model 4 warms up, this is what my screen looks like, even at minimum brightness. The front brightness 500K pot tests OK, and it appears minimum brightness happens at the zero ohm end of the scale. Sprayed it with contact cleaner and even jumped the contacts to force zero...
  15. H

Issue with FreHD Boot ROM in Model 4 Student Station

I've got a Model 4 Student Station (Model 26-1059) that's a diskless 64KB machine. It has an 8048364 in U68, so I'm using the Gen 2 ROM image from Ian's page. http://ianmav.customer.netspace.net.au/trs80/downloads.htm Without the FreHD connected, I'm getting garbage screens on boot or...
  16. H

Success creating new Model II disks with ImageDisk 1.18 and an FDADAP adapter

Just wanted to share my experience with this. Things went better than expected and my son now have a number of new disks to play with in the Model II. I have the later rev drive controller card, so I simply unplugged the 50 pin connector from the TRS-80 card, and plugged in into the FDADAP. I...
  17. H

New Model II Owner, couple of questions

Picked up a well worn example from the original owner (tax preparation) for $100. Came with the unit, expansion chassis with one drive, and about ten disks (including a VisiCalc original). After cleaning out all the mice nests and re-seating of the cards, got it to turn on (yeah!). Next had...
  18. H

Greeting from Minnesota

My 13 year old son has decided vintage computers are cool after dragging my old TRS-80 Model I, TI-99/4A, Apple IIc, and Mac SE out of storage. Now through the magic of Craigslist we've added a couple of Commodore 64's, a Commodore 128, more Apple II's, more vintage Macs, a Kaypro 2, and the...
Back