• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. J

Two new memory modules for TRS-80 PC_2, Sharp PC-1500

In this video we introduce two new memory modules for the Sharp PC-1500 (TRS-80 PC-2) . The CE-1638 features 8x 16K RAM banks. The CE-163F also has 8x 16K RAM banks + 8x 16K FLASH banks. Both come with backup batteries for the RAM and firmware that runs behind the scenes which makes bank...
  2. J

CE-158X, a more modern replacement for the Sharp CE-158 (and TRS-80 version)

For months a friend and I have been working on a replacement for the Sharp CE-158 RS-232 serial/parallel interface for the PC-1500 (TRS-80 PC-2). I just put the finishing touches on the enclosure, PCB are on hand and parts will be arriving next week. Note that the case is red as I was using up...
  3. J

The truth about Retr0brite – busting myths with science…

The truth about Retr0brite – busting myths with science… One of the situations we are often faced with when restoring an old computer is a yellowed plastic case. You have probably heard of Retr0Brite, few things in the retro community have caused as much controversy, rampant speculation and...
  4. J

Kaypro 2000+ DOS boot disk image

AS I understand it the original boot disk for the Kaypro 2000+ boot disk (DOS 3.2?) had a few Kaypro specific utilities on it. I"m not sure if this was a different disk that the original Kaypro 2000 which had a smaller screen (DOS 2.1?). I think I may have found the Kaypro DOS 2.1 image if I can...
  5. J

Surface mount soldering magnification with a used $50 document camera?

Working on old computers with equally old eyes can be tough, working on SMD boards with old eyes is even tougher. This document camera was recommended to me by someone on Twitter and I was surprised how well it works. In this this video we take a look at repurposing a second-hand document...
  6. J

Build an Arduino based vintage SRAM tester for TRS-80 M100, open source!

In this video we build an Arduino Mega based tester for TRS-80 M100 SRAM modules. We learn about the unusual SRAM modules the M100 used, a little about RAM testing and then we test some bad modules and attempt a repair. While this tester was made for a specific purpose the ideas presented can...
  7. J

Oops, we did it again…New DB23 connector hoods preorder open

Thanks to the wonderful Amiga community we were able to successfully reproduce the Amiga DB23F connector and bring it back to the market. Supplies of new Amiga DB23F video connectors are now winging their way across the globe. What’s next to come from the partnership of RetronicDesign and...
  8. J

NEW Amiga DB23F videos connectors, Newly manufactured

When the Amiga computer was produced the engineers decided to use a unique D-Sub connector variation with only 23 pins for the video cables. This made sense at the time as it was just a slight variation of a well proven and popular connector design. Now, 30+ years later it is a different story...
  9. J

Acid Test!! Chemicals for cleaning up after leaking alkaline batteries.

Damage caused by leaking batteries is something we are faced with on vintage computer gear. I hope this video is helpful if you face such a cleanup effort in the future. In this video we play amateur chemist and take a look at how to clean up PCBs that have been damaged by leaking alkaline...
  10. J

Epson HX-20 Technical Manual

Freshly scanned and OCRd. Epson HX-20 Technical Manual: https://archive.org/details/epson-hx-20-tech-manual-ocr_202011
  11. J

NEW Alps printer/plotter mech pinion gears

In the 80s Alps made a 4pen printer/plotter mech that everyone used. For Commodore it was the 1520 printer, for the Tandy is was the CGP-115. The picture here is from a Sharp CE-150 printer/cassette interface. They all now suffer from broken pinion gears. After searching for 2 years I think I...
  12. J

MOS8701 clock chip replacement kit or assembled - open source -

I borrowed an 8701 out of a C128 and wanted a replacement that would nicely fit in the same area. There are other replacements available but I wanted one that was small, easy to build, inexpensive and 'just works', i.e. you can plug it into an NTSC or PAL machine and it will just work. There are...
  13. J

Resistance is futile - Rejuvenating vintage computer keyboard key contacts

I don't normally post about my videos but this one pertains to many different systems that have keyboards with conductive rubber key contacts. We take a look at a method to rejuvenate the keyboard key contacts on vintage computer keyboards that don’t work anymore due to having too high of a...
  14. J

NEW Amiga DB23 Female videos connectors will soon be available!

Let us introduce ourselves. We are Francis Gradel from Retronic Design and Jeff Birt from Soigeneris. For months we have been working on getting Amiga DB23 Female video connectors reproduced. We started working separately on this project, but then through a twist of fate we joined forces to...
  15. J

C64 ‘Case Saver’ repair kit update!

C64 ‘Case Saver’ repair kit update! Earlier this year we came up with the ‘C64 Case Saver Repair Kit’ The kit includes repair parts for the screw posts, PCB standoffs and the three rear tabs on the top case. The post sleeves and PCB standoffs are CNC machined out of natural ABS. The three rear...
  16. J

Commodore 1520, Alps mechinism part

I have a printer that uses the same mechanism as the Commodore 1520. This is the four color pen plotter mechanism made by Alps that many companies used back in the day. Typically the gears break on these but on this mechanism the arm that goes from the solenoid to the bar the pushes the pen...
  17. J

WTB: Amiga external floppy drive (does not matter if drive works)

I'm looking for an Amiga external floppy drive. I'm really only intereted in the case, cable, internal PCB, etc. It does not matter if the floppy drive itself works as I'll replace it with a Gotek, but the case, etc, need to be in decent shape. I'm in the USA and am in interested in a purchase...
  18. J

What a treat, 30 year old NIB Amiga 500's!

A few weeks ago I bought a couple of Amiga 500's at a warehouse liquidation auction. The only photo was of two original boxes propped up against a shelf. I paid a bit more than I wanted speculating that maybe, just maybe, since they had saved the boxes that they had taken care of the machines...
  19. J

C64 Case Saver Repair Kit

Hopefully, this is OK here. I'm not a 'commercial' Commodore vendor but do offer a few things through my website that are Commodore related. After a great deal of trial and error, I came up with a ‘C64 Case Saver’ kit. The kit includes repair parts for the screw posts, PCB standoffs and the...
  20. J

WTB: 1700, 1750 or 1764 REU for C64

Looking for a REU for a C64. I'm in the USA. Thanks, Jeff_Birt
Back