• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. tom.storey

CF cards and changing PIO modes (enable IORDY)

Hi all. I cant quite decide if this should go in the hardware or programming forums as it straddles the lines of both in certain ways, but I feel its more appropriate here. Im trying to enable the IORDY signal on a CF card. The capabilities word obtained from an "identify" command states that...
  2. tom.storey

Home-made memory expansion board prevents booting from floppy disks?

Hi all, Ive made my own memory expansion for an XT that brings it up to 640KB and gives me a further 128KB to play with as upper memory blocks. The memory expansion seems to work fine, and I can run the machine from it all day without any issues, including with the upper memory blocks. But it...
  3. tom.storey

How does DOS detect the presence of an RTC?

Hi all, Slightly obscure question, but how does DOS detect the presence of a real-time clock in the system? I read in a document of DOS interrupt calls that from DOS 3.3 onwards, the calls that it implements that set the date and time will also update the RTC if it is present. I spent some...
  4. tom.storey

Tandon floppy drive no longer wants to read any disks

Hi all, The Tandon drive in my XT was working (seemingly) beautifully up until I just tried it today. It has been probably several weeks since I last tried using it (Ive been plodding along nicely with the XT-IDE in the mean time). In that time "that inductor" burned up along with "that...
  5. tom.storey

A000/B000 and E000 segments

Hi all. I've been designing a RAM expansion board to go into my XT. It has a 4Mbit (512Kbyte) SRAM chip on it of which only 384K would be used to expand conventional memory, leaving 128K crying out for something to do. Studying the memory map of the PC and XT I determined that it is possible...
  6. tom.storey

Option ROMs and interrupt vectors

Hi all, Sorry if this isnt the correct place to post, please move if there is somewhere better. Im planning to build a card for my XT that will contain a bunch of stuff, and part of this will be to include a socket for an option ROM that I can use for development purposes. But I have a...
  7. tom.storey

Looking for "Digital Innovations File Transporter 1.3"

Hi all, Does anyone happen to have a copy of Digital Innovations File Transporter version 1.3 floating about? The filename is xport.exe. I happened across this software on a 5160 that I bought recently, and if I could get this working then I would have a means to copy files on/off until I get...
  8. tom.storey

IBM 5151 display - toasty inductor

Hi all, While dismantling my 5151 for cleaning today I noticed that there is an inductor which looks like it has been quite toasty at some stage. Maybe its still working(ish) because the monitor itself does work and displays an image (although there is an ever so slight "wobble" from time to...
  9. tom.storey

DS DD 360K 5.25" floppy disks - good vs bad brands?

Hi all. I recently picked up an IBM XT, but as this is my first vintage machine I am lacking most peripherals and accessories needed for day to day use. Something I'd like to pick up are some floppy disks. I'll build our buy an XTIDE type adapter to sort out some more modern bulk storage. I...
  10. tom.storey

PS/2 keyboard on an XT?

Hi all, new member. I picked up an XT recently, its dead in the water so Im doing a refurb/repair on it (holy heck is it dusty inside...!) If people are interested I will start a thread and document my journey bringing it back to life? Anyhow, someone mentioned that a PS/2 keyboard should work...
Back