• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

a forth portable

I know of several computers that run CP/M on smaller sized screens, including my beloved Epson PX-8, so it not only can be done, it has been done. In fact, I can't think of any reason why CP/M could not be made to work on one of those machines. If they got it to run on a TRS-80 Model III, then it should run on any machine with the right hardware.

--T

Maybe some applications assume 80 column output. I guess installing an external video board would give you any resolution, but it would be major cheating. The ZX Spectrum had at least software solutions to give 64x24 in a 4x8 pixel resolution, whether that is readable or not.

Speaking about handhelds and CP/M, I notice the Gameboy uses a 4/8 MHz Sharp processor similar to Z80, and that it can do 160x144 pixels. That would make 32x18 characters if using a 5x8 matrix (or 32x24 with a 5x6 matrix). I wonder if there has been any attempts making a homebrewn CP/M cartridge... :lol:

carlsson said:
Maybe some applications assume 80 column output. I guess installing an external video board would give you any resolution, but it would be major cheating. The ZX Spectrum had at least software solutions to give 64x24 in a 4x8 pixel resolution, whether that is readable or not.

CP/M apps don't make such assumptions. CP/M "assumes" that all I/O will be thru the BIOS routines, one of which defines your terminal type. Programs which overlay the BDOS (and thus the gateway into BIOS) must define thier own terminal type rather than using the standard (for that machine) I/O. WordStar is one such program. During the instalation you have to tell it what kind of terminal to use.
Speaking about handhelds and CP/M, I notice the Gameboy uses a 4/8 MHz Sharp processor similar to Z80, and that it can do 160x144 pixels. That would make 32x18 characters if using a 5x8 matrix (or 32x24 with a 5x6 matrix). I wonder if there has been any attempts making a homebrewn CP/M cartridge... :lol:

<whining...>I still wanna see CP/M brought up on a Model 100...!!!
</whine>

--T

"Terry Yager" wrote:

> CP/M apps don't make such assumptions. CP/M "assumes"
> that all I/O will be thru the BIOS routines, one of which defines
> your terminal type. Programs which overlay the BDOS (and
> thus the gateway into BIOS) must define thier own terminal
> type rather than using the standard (for that machine) I/O.
> WordStar is one such program. During the instalation you
> have to tell it what kind of terminal to use.

Some of my earlier CP/M-86 programs were made to use 80x50
resolution of the VGA display. Of course it's no ordinary program,
it accesses the hardware directly (a technique which most frown
upon) - though it saves writing something like an FIDD, which I'm
guessing is using routines the OS, or programming a new BDOS
routines which address newer hardware.

CP/M-86 itself only knows one or two displays either 80x24 (the
25 line is used by the statusbar), or 40x24 (I think but I've never
tried it). You can get 80x50 text in CP/M-86, but the command line
only goes down to the 24 line (since that's all it knows). A text
editor called TED (originally from DOS), can also use 80x50, but
the same program remains in having the cursor past the 24th