• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A reset button for the 5160

I will see if I have pictures of how I made it. But I only added the two wires on the P8 power connector which goes to the motherboard. The pins are GND and PG as shown in the picture.

When i put those 2 wires on P8 connector side by side with the normal, i get nothing when i press the button, with multimeter i see voltage drop to around 2.2v from 5 but 5160 continues to run normal ;)

I will see if I have pictures of how I made it. But I only added the two wires on the P8 power connector which goes to the motherboard. The pins are GND and PG as shown in the picture.
When i put those 2 wires on P8 connector side by side with the normal, i get nothing when i press the button, with multimeter i see voltage drop to around 2.2v from 5 but 5160 continues to run normal ;)
What voltage reading do you get on the PG line when you press and continue to hold in the button ?

hehe as i wrote: with multimeter i see voltage drop to around 2.2v from 5v but 5160 continues to run normal ;)
could be i should try other resistor ? think i choose a 100k resistor as the initial poster had.

hehe as i wrote: with multimeter i see voltage drop to around 2.2v from 5v but 5160 continues to run normal ;)
I asked because if you had just quickly pressed-and-released the switch, your multimeter may not have shown you the lowest voltage value reached (unless your multimeter has min/max functionality, and even that has limitations).

The voltage needs to drop to about 0.5V or lower.

could be i should try other resistor ? ...
Yes.

... think i choose a 100k resistor as the initial poster had.
In post #1 is "100R". That is 100 ohms.

Last edited:
with the 100r it works perfect, just me who read that wrong. thanks a lot for the hints and tips. next up create 3dprintet frontplate and incorporate the button.

@Roland Huisman how did you, or can ppl recommend a way to get the cables put together safest way? i dont really want to cut the wires on the ibm power supply or destroy/ruin the connector.

Personally, I'd just jam the end of a 100R resistor in the wire side of the PSU (female) connector. In this case, a half-watt job should be better than a smaller one (bigger, stiffer, wire). If it doesn't make solid contact, no harm to the system--it just won't work.

I think that card is also part of the Professional Debug Facility. It may have shipped in multiple packages.

Today, while going through the Windows 1.03 SDK documentation, I found a reference to this card (and the use of NMI in general) in the SYMDEB.EXE usage guide:

Code:
/N

Permits use of non-maskable interrupts on non-IBM
computers . To use non-maskable interrupts, you must
have a system that is equipped with the proper hard-
ware, such as the following products:
 * IBM Professional Debugging Facility
 * Software Probe (Atron Corporation)
The symdeb utility requires only the hardware pro-
vided with these products ; no additional software is
needed . If you are using one of these products with a
non-IBM system, you must use the /n option to take
advantage of the break capability . Using a non-
maskable-interrupt break system is more reliable
than using the interactive break key because you can
always stop program execution regardless of the state of
interrupts and other conditions.

I don't recall the professional debug facility. This was very early on, as it's on a wide 5150 bracket. Could have been a package deal; I don't recall.

Back