• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Another New Gaming PC

I'm supposedly (and have been for some years) retired. Just never got around to not working. I confess that the prospect of sitting around watching Teevee or playing computer games does not appeal to me--seems more like punishment.

I am not a TV addict. Never have been. My brother though can't seem to watch it enough. I'd rather toy with old computers or emulators as I am a retired programmer. But astrophotography is something I am trying to get into.

Pffff, I have 256 GB in my HP DL369 G9 dual CPU machine.

OK, now the serious stuff. I'm not a hardcore gamer but I like to play games from time to time. My favorite: Freelancer using the Discovery mod. But what I wonder about: would m

I don't know where people find the time to play games. Right now, I'm waiting for a load of tapes from Fedex...

Last edited:
I don't know where people find the time to play games. Right now, I'm waiting for a load of tapes from Fedex...
For me it's when ever I get the urge, but mostly late at night. Also, I'm not gainfully employed anymore.

Only 32GB RAM? Rookie numbers 😛
Sorry for the delay. When the 1st DDR5 modules appeared last fall, there seemed to some performance issues if all four slots were filled. This was, I think, mainly due to young BIOS problems, at least on the AMD type boards. So, the consensus was to only fill the A2-B2 slots. Now, I went through 2 Asus boards that had major BIOS issues in that they wouldn't POST. So, I opted for the ASRock board and it is working out just fine. However, back when I was on a buying rampage, trying to round up everything at once, the only DDR5 RAM listed on my boards' QVL is what I bought. I had 64Gb on my last X570 board and I'm not sure it's worth the effort, but I probably would have went the 64 had it been approved. ;)

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay. When the 1st DDR5 modules appeared last fall, there seemed to some performance issues if all four slots were filled. This was, I think, mainly due to young BIOS problems, at least on the AMD type boards. So, the consensus was to only fill the A2-B2 slots. Now, I went through 2 Asus boards that had major BIOS issues in that they wouldn't POST. So, I opted for the ASRock board and it is working out just fine. However, back when I was on a buying rampage, trying to round up everything at once, the only DDR5 RAM listed on my boards' QVL is what I bought. I had 64Gb on my last X570 board and I'm not sure it's worth the effort, but I probably would have went the 64 had it been approved. ;)
Not to mention back around that time DDR5 prices were out the wazoo. Wouldn't blame you for getting 32GB haha.

Back