• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anybody here actually collect Unix stuff?

...Also there was UZI, UZI180, UZI280, and UZIX for the MSX, all Z80-based.

As Paul Harvey would say, in our 'for what it's worth' department, the following:
Code:
SMC IO chip identified (FDC37C665GT): configuring                               
ROM v5.7 Dated: 01 Oct 2014  CPU clock: 16.000MHz                               
RAM available: 1024kB. From 00000 to FFFFF                                      
        ROM shadowed into 1st 32kB                                              

Z80 Series ROM-Resident Debugger V1.06: D-X Designs Pty Ltd  1997               
Special P112 Version: Interrupts Supported                                      
Type '?' for help                                                               

=                                                                               
=Z                                                                              
Loading UZI...                                                                  
UZI180 version 1.6.2 built Sun Feb 4 21:02:09 CET 2007                          
Copyright (c) 1998-2002 by H.F.Bower, D.Braun, S.Nitschke, H.Peraza             
1024kB total RAM, 960kB available to processes (15 processes max)               
Mounting root fs: OK                                                            
init version 0.9                                                                

Welcome to UZI180 on /dev/tty1 (Z180)                                           

login: root                                                                     
Password:                                                                       

Have fun!                                                                       

Sun Jan  8 19:46:16 2017                                                        
/root # ls                                                                      
life                                                                            
makedevs                                                                        
red                                                                             
/root # ls /bin                                                                 
cat                                                                             
chgrp                                                                           
chmod                                                                           
chown                                                                           
cp                                                                              
cut                                                                             
date                                                                            
dd                                                                              
df                                                                              
echo                                                                            
ed                                                                              
false                                                                           
fsck                                                                            
kill                                                                            
ll                                                                              
ln                                                                              
ls                                                                              
mkdir                                                                           
mkfs                                                                            
mknod                                                                           
more                                                                            
mount                                                                           
msh                                                                             
mv                                                                              
passwd                                                                          
pwd                                                                             
reboot                                                                          
rm                                                                              
rmdir                                                                           
ssh                                                                             
su                                                                              
sync                                                                            
touch                                                                           
true                                                                            
umount                                                                          
/root #

It's more than a bit gratifying to watch a Unix-clone booting (off of a 1.44MB 3.5 inch HD floppy drive!) on hardware you built yourself, even if it is a kit like the P112. A real joy to build.

Last edited:
That's pretty cool. TCP/IP off that floppy too? Reminds me of that nifty QNX demo disk that was released back in the mid 90s (TCP/IP, GUI and all off a single disk).

That's pretty cool. TCP/IP off that floppy too? Reminds me of that nifty QNX demo disk that was released back in the mid 90s (TCP/IP, GUI and all off a single disk).

No, no networking in UZI180. I haven't built fuzix yet, but when it gets networking it will get really interesting. I'm waiting on a D-GIDE from Terry Gulczynski before I attempt a fuzix install.

This is about as old-school feel as you can get, with the only editor in the system being ed. I think I have more binaries built for UZI280, but I don't have my CPU280 fully operational yet.

Actually, I felt a whole lot like I was back on the Tandy 6000 with Xenix. Xenix System III on the T6K (8MHz 68K with 1MB RAM) was about the same speed as the P112 (Z80182 at 16MHz and 1MB RAM), and also text-only.

Hello,

I just signed up to ask about a laptop I found in a box. It is a Tadpole Sparcbook 3gx. It does not have a battery or hard drive. I also found a battery charger (empty) and a Series 3 User manual. Is this thing worth anything or useful to anybody? It is heavy duty and looks like it was not used very much. I am doing an office clean-out and trying to determine if I should just recycle it with the old NT machines. Thanks.IMG_2627.jpg

I'm not a Sparc fanatic (more into HPUX and AIX machines), but just getting to a few websites and finding this has a microSparc processor, makes me think that it would be of use to someone here. I found this by accident and I am thinking that you should offer it on the marketplace page to get a wider circulation among those in the know. I would NOT just scrap it. I would pay you a little more than the shipping, packaging, just to save it and like I noted, I'm not into Sparcs, someone that is might be able to do better.

Oh, and if you come across an IBM RISC laptop, I would be VERY interested in that!
Thanks for posting this unique opportunity for the Solaris folks.

Thanks for the feedback. I just also found two Sparcstation10 machines, GDM-1962B displays, keyboards/mice, and cables. Damn those displays are heavy. Where would I list them to find a home. My dock full of old stuff is getting picked up on Tuesday the 28th.IMG_2742.JPGIMG_2741.jpgIMG_2740.jpgIMG_2738.JPGIMG_2737.JPG

This thread seems to be idle, but I'll give it a shot... Somebody here mentioned owning an SGI Crimson: any idea where I can get a spare GE8? Mine died. Kinda makes the whole thing pointless as a server... :(

Thx for any info,

--GT

Not sure where you're located but I have a 10000 that runs but has seen better days if you have any repair parts I can use them. I have a lot of spare Indy parts already.
I have been working on an Octane lately, this at the moment is my favorite SGI.

It's interesting how beloved the Octanes are. My personal favourite is the Fuel (and the Indy purely for nostalgia, since I actually used one back in the day, mostly for a lot of sgidoom), but I'll be the first to acknowledge its deficiencies.

I don't know, I find it difficult to like the Octane. It has a lot of capability, sure, but the form factor kind of sucks. I think my favorite is the Indigo.

Aside from SVR4/386 which runs on several dozen machines I have:

AT&T 3B2/310
AT&T 3B2/400 (x4)
AT&T 3B2/600
AT&T 3B2/1000-80
AT&T PC7300
Tandy TRS-80 Model 16B
Sun Enterprise 3500
Sun Enterprise 420R
Several pizza box and IPC/IPX Suns
Sun Ultra 10

I guess technically the Tandy runs XENIX and the Sun's originally ran SunOS/Solaris derivatives (and still do).

Still looking for a 3B2/500 or 522 to round out the set. As I sort through the 400s, I'll probably sell the extras. Also looking for a nice Alpha machine and any DG Aviion machine.

Last edited:
I don't know, I find it difficult to like the Octane. It has a lot of capability, sure, but the form factor kind of sucks. I think my favorite is the Indigo.

I do agree that you can't put anything on the Octane without it sliding off, and the on-off switch sucks.

The "Un*x" machine I'd really like is a Commodore 900. And then to see if there's some way I can put a terminal server in front of it or something and have it host Secret Weapons of Commodore over a serial port.

Yes. I like very much old non-intel UNIX servers/workstation (and different UNIXes). I have Sun Ultra 60, SGI Indy and IBM RS/6000 Model 380 (the two latter need to be resurrected).
And, I don't like that Intel took over everything in this world, including Mac.

I do not. I do own 2 Indy's and most of an Impact 10000. Anyone need parts?

I am searching for Indy power supply because mine looks to be broken... but I think it's hard/expensive to send it from America (I am in Berlin, Germany, EU, sometimes I travel to Zurich and Moscow).

Back