• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anybody here actually collect Unix stuff?

I'd have thought that someone would mention Cromemco's Cromix UNIX clone (versions for Z80 through 68020) or Cromemco's 'real' 680x0 UNIX versions...

This is about as old-school feel as you can get, with the only editor in the system being ed. I think I have more binaries built for UZI280, but I don't have my CPU280 fully operational yet.

Not sure where you're located but I have a 10000 that runs but has seen better days if you have any repair parts I can use them. I have a lot of spare Indy parts already.
I have been working on an Octane lately, this at the moment is my favorite SGI.

Just saw this. I'm 15 miles south of Toms River, NJ. If you could tell me what you need Bill, I will earnestly take as much of your money as I can :)

Yes. I like very much old non-intel UNIX servers/workstation (and different UNIXes). I have Sun Ultra 60, SGI Indy and IBM RS/6000 Model 380 (the two latter need to be resurrected).
And, I don't like that Intel took over everything in this world, including Mac.

I am searching for Indy power supply because mine looks to be broken... but I think it's hard/expensive to send it from America (I am in Berlin, Germany, EU, sometimes I travel to Zurich and Moscow).

Man you get around. I was in Zurich when I was 4. I still don't think they want me back. If you think it's more affordable to send it to Moscow or Zurich, we can look into that together.

Maybe they didn't appreciate me calling the place Zur-itch. I'm not exactly itching to go back either ... I did like the blinken light board in the lobby of Bristol Hotel though. Not sure what it was for even, just liked staring at it.

I've been interested in UNIX for a little while and while I don't have anything in which to really get into it but if I could collect anything I'd like to get my hands on an Apple Network Server with AIX, but I certainly don't have the space in this tiny efficiency apartment and double certainly don't have the money to buy one if I did find one.

I used to own a DEC5000 series box in 5 floorstanding cabinets, but it had to go when I changed job unfortunately. Prior to that it lived in the admin space of the ISP I worked for. The boss was quite happy to have it there because it looked really impressive to visitors even though the actual ISP was running off a couple of 486 machines and some routers and bits - and which really looked quite boring. The SGI had to go for the same reason. I've still got PA-RISC, Alpha and Sparc boxes.

I also have A/UX for my Mac LCII but it's more of a Linux system although the way A/UX integrates mac look and feel (and many apps) was way ahead of it's time for Unix GUI.

I've got my eyes out for a few Unix systems though. I really want an Altos 8600 or similar (I should be so lucky). I've also got some more modern era but interesting hardware designed for that job, including a Pentium M era bladeserver from the days before virtualisation where you wanted to get as much physical system as you could in one rack. It's a bit tricky to play with because I have to turn most of the other stuff on the rack off or it blows the trip.

For all the 8bit stuff there wasn't a suitable Unix clone so I'm working to fix that with Fuzix.

Alan

I'd like to get my hands on an Apple Network Server with AIX, but I certainly don't have the space in this tiny efficiency apartment and double certainly don't have the money to buy one if I did find one.

At least in my experience, it's been shipping, not purchase price. The ANSes tend to be terrible white elephants because they're the size of a small refrigerator. (I have three, a 500, a 700 and a non-working prototype Shiner.) The 500 was "work for us for the summer and we'll throw that thing in too." The 700 was literally "come and get it." The Shiner was $50 and a pickup in Marin county. They're getting rare enough to have some collector cred, but they were never very common to begin with.

They were pretty great AIX machines in the day, though, I thought. I liked it a lot better than the RS/6000s we had and it has excellent binary compatibility. My experience with AIX on both the RS6Ks and the ANS is why it was succeded by a POWER6 running a more contemporary AIX, which runs www.floodgap.com and gopher.floodgap.com now.

I just realized I never posted the rest of the Un*x machines that lurk here. Limiting it to what's set up and/or turned on and not counting Macs running OS X,

Raptor Talos II (8-core/32-thread POWER9)
POWER6 p520 Express
SGI Fuel (900MHz MIPS + V12 DCD)
SGI Indy (with R4600)
AlphaPC 164LX
Apple Network Server 500/"200"
Cobalt RaQ 2 (MIPS)
Solbourne S3000 (SPARC KAP) running OS/MP

RISC laptops:
Sun Ultra-3
RDI UltraBook IIi
RDI PrecisionBook (160MHz) -- practically a carbon copy of the SPARC Books
IBM ThinkPad 860
IBM ThinkPad "800" (Type 6020), still refusing to boot from SCSI

Does the BeBox count? :p

In the honourable mention category is a Mac IIci server running NetBSD and a Q800 running A/UX. The Dreamcast boots Linux sometimes; the Jornada boots NetBSD sometimes.

My IBM 3270 PC AT GX has a NS32016 Opus card that boots ATT SysV Unix. It was for running Valid GED, which traditionally ran on a SCALD station (68000). Later, Compaq forced Valid to port GED onto (3 guesses) the Compaq 386 PCs running SCO Unix.

Off the wall question: Does anybody with a SparcStation have a copy of the flight simulator that was on it? Some guys at Sun created it as a demo, then tried to make a go of it as a company, Artificial Horizons. They didn't last. The scenery packs you could load with that flight sim were outstanding. They were LandSat based.

My IBM 3270 PC AT GX has a NS32016 Opus card that boots ATT SysV Unix. It was for running Valid GED, which traditionally ran on a SCALD station (68000). Later, Compaq forced Valid to port GED onto (3 guesses) the Compaq 386 PCs running SCO Unix.

Off the wall question: Does anybody with a SparcStation have a copy of the flight simulator that was on it? Some guys at Sun created it as a demo, then tried to make a go of it as a company, Artificial Horizons. They didn't last. The scenery packs you could load with that flight sim were outstanding. They were LandSat based.

It was called "Aviator"

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a289271.pdf

One of the engineers who worked on the flight simulator was Curtis Priem, a founder of NVIDIA. He ported it to the first NV chip and used as a demo to show off the capabilities of the NV1. Unfortunately the NV1 used quadratics as its graphic primitive that didn't map the perspective calculation properly and would cause the ground to swell up and "hit" you if you got too low. The simulator would limit how low you could fly to avoid this anomaly.

One of the engineers who worked on the flight simulator was Curtis Priem, a founder of NVIDIA. He ported it to the first NV chip and used as a demo to show off the capabilities of the NV1. Unfortunately the NV1 used quadratics as its graphic primitive that didn't map the perspective calculation properly and would cause the ground to swell up and "hit" you if you got too low. The simulator would limit how low you could fly to avoid this anomaly.

That's really silly! Actually, there was a major bug in Aviator on the Sun. A friend at LSI found it. He was in the Air Force Academy, so he knew what he was talking about. He washed out for being too tall. What he found was that they were not accounting for loss of energy when the plane (or a missile) was in a loop. You could literally put the FA-18 into a loop and shut down the engine, and it would continue to loop! He tried to explain it to them, as well as his credentials as a pilot, but they never fixed it AFAIK. Same for the Sidewinder.

The other Unix flight sim we used to run was the one on the SGI systems. In Aviator, we would do combat, and team dogfights. On the SGI what we did was the zoom climb contest. You would take the F-14 up to just below its service ceiling, run it up to max speed, then go vertical. The trick was to come down and land on the airfield dead stick. Supposedly, the SGI flight sim was used as the "mission planner" console on the B-2 flight simulator. Not the actual pilot's controls, but the mission supervisor and planning station.

I'm also curious as to how you can get A/UX running on an LC II.

Sorry to dissapoint but I have it in the sense of having a set of media etc. Having finally tried to install it even with a real 68040 I still have a set of install media and not much else. It's still running Linux. I shall have to find something else to install A/UX on because I liked A/UX for its UI, even if the internals sucked somewhat.

Unless anyone else knows how to persuade it to install on an LCII with upgraded CPU ?

It just won't, on a LC II, which is why we were all surprised. It doesn't support the hardware IIRC. The IIci makes a nice A/UX machine and isn't too hard to come by, though I run it on a clockchipped Q800 and it flies at 40MHz.

No LCs will run it. No AV Mac will run it either. I've had A/UX on a IIci, Quadra 610 and SE/30. I'd like to find a Quadra 700 to run it again but may settle on my SE/30 which I still have.

Back