• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone Had Cataract Surgery?

bobaboba

Experienced Member
So I've had cataract surgery and simple lens replacement which means I can't focus on anything nearer than about an arm's length away. Reading glasses work but with a progressively narrower focal range the stronger they are. So close up work to replace ICs etc. is getting a bit beyond me. I know there are quite a few no-longer-young decheads like me on here so what do any of you with similar issues do? I'm sort of thinking of packing it in and just getting rid of all my pdp8 stuff which is a shame.

How about a USB camera/microscope that displays on a monitor positioned where you can view it?

Yes (as you may have already surmised), I've had cataract surgery. I keep reading glasses of various strengths scattered around the house (you can purchase lots of them cheap). For PCB and other work, I also have several pairs of Optivisors (don't get the cheap plastic lenses--they're worthless). I also keep an inspection stereo microscope handy.

A good strong light source will improve your depth of field vision.

Stubborn persistence and appropriate invective will save the day. On the other hand, my distance vision has been better than it was when I was wearing glasses. So, in balance, it's been a good thing.

In at least half of patients who've undergone cataract surgery, the rear of the lens capsule clouds up over a few years. That's remedied by simple procedure that uses a laser to punch a hole in the rear of the capsule. A simple operation requiring no anesthetic.

In at least half of patients who've undergone cataract surgery, the rear of the lens capsule clouds up over a few years. That's remedied by simple procedure that uses a laser to punch a hole in the rear of the capsule. A simple operation requiring no anesthetic.

Yes posterior opacification or some such expression, I've been warned that the odds of that are quite high. That's tomorrow's worry. I've got 2, 3 and 3.5 dioptre cheapo spectacles just now but it's a real drag swapping and misplacing them all the time. But like you say I can see the golf ball on the green (if I'm lucky) a couple of hundred yards away without specs so a bit of a gain there.

Ah well!!

I'm continually amazed by the stuff I learn on this site. I'm developing cataracts in both eyes and was looking at getting that squared away before the Covid-19 pandemic frenzy changed everything. Now the virus has to be factored into any decisions as well. I appreciate the heads up about long term post op complications of lens replacement.

I had Lasik in 2012 and opted for distance vision over what I had. Many years lated I had a cataract in my right eye, and got the lens replaced. After the Lasik I found I could not
focus on much closer than what you stated (arm's length). Made electronics stuff much harder like soldering components and such. Also made it very hard to make new Ethernet cable
plug ends and forget fixing fiber. So I just lived with it for most of the time but many of the kits I bought are still not finished. I did buy one of those magnifying lights which helps.
And of course the reading glasses (many pairs scattered around the house). I've never tried some of the suggested things. I would not give up your hobby though.

These things are what I was talking about. I figure if they're good enough for the docs in the ER, they'll work for me--and they do. Most often, I use the #10 ones. They're comfortable enough that I'll put a set on, but swung out of my vision and I'll forget that I'm wearing them. Indispensable for me for electronics work. Amazon and eBay both sell them. For very close work, I tried a set of those telescopic spectacles like a dentist or surgeon uses. Weird--and too narrow a field of vision.

One thing that I splurged on this year was a set of bifocal glasses made with real glass, not plastic. Very clear and no problem with scratches. I never could get used to the progressive vision lenses--after a couple of hours, I wind up with a headache.

I purchased my first set of progressive lens glasses last year and I don't mind using them EXCEPT for staring at a monitor. Drives me nuts having to move my head so much to focus on what I am reading (instead of just moving my eyes) so I just use my old glasses and they work out well.

Real glass is nice but I have up on those lenses because of weight and I like thin frames with no bottom and you need plastic for that.

So far no matter what glasses I use soldering just sucks.

I have no cataracts, but I'm long overdue to see an optometrist as dad had glaucoma (and cataracts, so did mom). He took drops all the way up to the end. Kept his eyes in good shape, in that regard. And he was about the age I am now when he was diagnosed.

Haven't had cataract surgery yet but I'm a candidate. I'm thankful I can still see at all: With myopia, astigmatism, presbyopia and cataracts it's a wonder I'm allowed to drive. Or ever made a living as a photographer. But we're an adaptive lot, inventing devices to extend our abilities, as others have pointed out.

If I were you I wouldn't give up your DEC hobby. The computer doesn't care.

-CH-

I purchased my first set of progressive lens glasses last year and I don't mind using them EXCEPT for staring at a monitor. Drives me nuts having to move my head so much to focus on what I am reading (instead of just moving my eyes) so I just use my old glasses and they work out well.

If you read monitors extensively all day, especially those of larger size or multiple monitor setups, you may prefer to have computer glasses made to use instead of wearing your progressives. I've done this for years now, saves a lot of strain on your neck trying to swing your head around to find the sweet spot in the progressive lenses. While my progressives work ok for reading the laptop screen in my lap, trying to use a 32" UHD monitor a bit beyond arm's length becomes maddening.

I'm 4 years into cataract surgery will no problems so far. If I spend a lot of time on my laptop, which I do at times, my eyes tend to tire and and things slightly blur at a distance. The answer is to wear glasses for the laptop and tv viewing. I can read a newspaper at about 3 feet these days.

Back