• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

AWS going to IPV6

Chuck(G)

25k Member
There's been a discussion about Amazon proclaiming that AWS as of February 1 will be IPv6, with a "you have to pay for it' IPv4 alternative. This sucks because, as far as I can tell, my modems and routers handle IPV6, but my ISP doesn't. Any thoughts?

I think so--that was what, 13 years ago? You'd think that the entire network would be up to speed on this. Everything on my end is IPV6-enabled, but once it hits my ISP and their NAT scheme, it all goes to Hades.

I wonder if Amazon will reconsider.

It's just a way for Amazon to make more money. Plenty of companies like Google, Amazon etc. have millions of IPv4 addresses that are unused.

I know; that's what I figured. But geez, does Bezos really need another superyacht?
I am still gobsmacked that Amazon meters DNS requests and charges money per X many requests - virtually every other hoster and domain registrar will host your DNS at no additional charge. And DNS is the simplest and easiest protocol to set, maintain and secure. But that is probably why I don't have a superyacht and Bezos does 😁

If you look at the terms of AWS servicing IPv4, they charge based on traffic. Someone probably is getting a bonus or promotion for thinking of it.

I am still gobsmacked that Amazon meters DNS requests and charges money per X many requests

Amazon nickel and dimes for EVERYTHING. It’s their computer and their network, and monetization is what it’s for. I get why everyone is falling into their trap, renting is cheaper than owning, at first, but this is effectively the same “the first hit is free” model that certain other commodities use to make you dependent enough to keep paying whatever they ask. :p

Back