• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Best Source for 4:3 monitors?

noworld

Hello, all,

What is the best source for 4:3 monitors, either CRT or LCD? Do you find them locally or online?

Edit: Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I didn't know where to post...

Thanks!

Last edited:
The place I work for might be getting rid of a about 30 4:3 HP 15" 1024x768 LCD monitors. But to answer your question, you can usually find some a Goodwill/thrift stores.

We can't give away square LCD panels. And recycling them is expensive.

The thrift shops around here are chock FULL of the LCD panel monitors at 4:3. That's actually where I bought the one I use with my 486. Might be putting the Enlight on that one and giving the NEC MultiSync 1024X768 LCD to the GEM 286 after I get one of the widescreens with DVI for my current main system. The computer surplus places near me are the same way.

CRTs are a bit different, trying to find them in thrift shops is difficult to impossible, ESPECIALLY the older beige ones from the 90's on back as most of those were scrapped in the 2000's as they all had cable problems, were out of adjustment, had worn out phosphors, and arrays of other things I can fix myself wrong with them (ie stuff that's just focus/voltage adjustments, replacing broken ports and repairing cracked PCBs, and replacing bad cables). The bigger ones are commonplace but might not look so great on vintage systems.

However, some surplus places don't know what they have and that's where I got my NEC MultiSync II that I fixed up, those guys just saw it as an old beige albatross taking up space in their shop, I saw it as an opportunity to have a proper RGB monitor for my Tandy.

If I needed a 4:3 LCD locally I might start at UW surplus, or local recyclers.

http://www.washington.edu/facilities/finadmin/movingandsurplus/inventory/item/flat-screen-monitors
101416%20(13).JPG

The real old LCD monitors are very streaky with games and videos if that is what you want them for.

There are usually people on craigslist cleaning out offices and they seem to have the older LCD panels for sale. I want a 4:3 1600x1200 but those are hard to find.

There are usually people on craigslist cleaning out offices and they seem to have the older LCD panels for sale. I want a 4:3 1600x1200 but those are hard to find.

I have a Viewsonic VP2000s 1600x1200 which will sync that at 75Hz, even though the manual only says 60Hz at that resolution. I have some systems which can only do 1600x1200 at 75Hz, not 60Hz. Other 1600x1200 LCD displays I have tried won't sync to that. I hope the VP2000s doesn't fail anytime soon. It might be a pain to replace.

iF you have anything like freecycle in your area (where people offer and also post wants for various items, all of it is free), post on there that you are looking for CRT's...Some folks have them sitting around and will just give them to you. I've scored a TON of stuff from the one in my area, including a couple CRT's and a perfect, in box Original NEC Multisync from a couple people. They just want rid of it....

In many cities you have to pay to junk a CRT TV or monitor so giving them away is a great idea if anybody is willing to snag them.

Back