• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Bill Godbout

Aw man, that's awful. I'd been thinking about him ever since I heard about what happened to Paradise; last time I was up there was to pick up some things from a storage-unit clearout that I can't remember if he helped organize.

This hurts terribly. It's been years since I've had a chance to talk to Bill, and I didn't realize he was just a bit up the road from me here in Colfax.

I assembled digital clock kits for him when I was a teenager for the people who wanted A&T rather than a kit. He was a great guy, like a friendly uncle.

This fire is at the core of the very reason I'm leaving the foothills next spring. I'm planning to move to Florida, where I can breathe the air and not worry about getting burned out every year. We do what we can for fire abatement in our communities, but it's just not enough and there's no way to fix it.

So you are trading fires for the mother of all annual hurricanes? I think avoiding both coasts and floodplains would be a good idea.

The idea of being caught in a fire like that freaks me out since by the time it gets close you can't run.

Aw man, that's awful. I'd been thinking about him ever since I heard about what happened to Paradise; last time I was up there was to pick up some things from a storage-unit clearout that I can't remember if he helped organize.

He did not, that was me.

Sorry to hear of his passing, his family will be one of many reeling from the devastation of that fire. Paradise is essentially completely gone, there is near nothing left in most parts of the town.

I'm planning to move to Florida, where I can breathe the air and not worry about getting burned out every year.

I'm sorry, but this statement baffles me. You remember that parts of Florida were pretty much wiped out by hurricanes not too long ago right? I mean, I guess if I had to choose, I'd rather drown than burn, but it still feels just tradeoff with no net gain.

He did not, that was me.

Sorry to hear of his passing, his family will be one of many reeling from the devastation of that fire. Paradise is essentially completely gone, there is near nothing left in most parts of the town.

I'm sorry, but this statement baffles me. You remember that parts of Florida were pretty much wiped out by hurricanes not too long ago right? I mean, I guess if I had to choose, I'd rather drown than burn, but it still feels just tradeoff with no net gain.

I live in the Miami, FL area. We've had our share of near misses in the last 20 years or so. One major difference between Hurricanes and other natural disasters is that you can usually see them coming, sometimes for weeks ahead of time, and either get set up to hunker down or get the &^$% out of the way.

Yeah, if I were going to move anyplace with an eye towards steering clear of natural disasters, I'd go back to the upper Midwest - no wildfires, no hurricanes, no earthquakes, and only rare problems with tornadoes or flooding as long as you stay north of about the southmost quarter of Minnesota and out of river basins. Of course, then you have to deal with the winters...

Yeah, if I were going to move anyplace with an eye towards steering clear of natural disasters, I'd go back to the upper Midwest - no wildfires, no hurricanes, no earthquakes, and only rare problems with tornadoes or flooding as long as you stay north of about the southmost quarter of Minnesota and out of river basins. Of course, then you have to deal with the winters...

Well that's where I live and I guess I shouldn't complain about the winters here, but I do. I had never heard of Bill Godbout or S-100 systems until maybe 10 years ago when I started using the simh emulator and found ALOT of documentation and software for the CompuPro system. I did much research into cp/m which I was familiar with from many years ago, and found the name Godbout everywhere. Long story short, a few years ago I acquired a CompuPro 8/16 from a very generous individual in this forum FOR FREE. I was able to use what I learned from simh, this forum and good documentation to get this up and running with cp/m, currently running Concurrent DOS. From what I've read about Bill Godbout, he was a generous individual which explains so much info being freely available now. RIP Bill. Here's some photos and my command line tribute. RIP Bill system.jpgRIP Bill.jpg

Larry G

I'm familiar with the part of Florida I'm moving to. My mother lives there, she's never even lost power through all the hurricanes. She took me out to see local hurricane damage after Andrew--a corner of one house's garage had come loose, and apparently a bit more on the other side had done so and let some water in.

Compared to having the entire community burned out at a go, it's nothing. Even compared to the evacuations I've gone through, and the smoke when we're not evacuated, I know whereof I speak.

There are disasters everywhere, and there's no Solla Sollew. But what I'm trading for is a whole different level of risk than staying here in the foothills where fuels all around me are uncontrolled and I'm just a short way from an interstate on one side and public campgrounds on the other.

Back