• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Cache SRAM pulls / installs

Smack2k

Veteran Member
Does anyone know of a good site or document that goes over the proper pulling and installing of on motherboard cache SRAM chips?

Thanks! Looking to get my learn on!

Technically a special tool is supposed to be used to remove them, something that grips and pulls it up, although I don't really know of anyone that uses one.
Looks like this:
kj8.jpg

If you don't have the tool a typical way of removing them is taking a small flat head screw driver or similar item and sliding it under one side, pulling up a tad bit (enough to get it at least halfway up) and then doing the same to the other side of the chip. It usually works, but it's easy to bend a pin out of place.

Technically a special tool is supposed to be used to remove them, something that grips and pulls it up, although I don't really know of anyone that uses one.
Looks like this:
View attachment 12179

If you don't have the tool a typical way of removing them is taking a small flat head screw driver or similar item and sliding it under one side, pulling up a tad bit (enough to get it at least halfway up) and then doing the same to the other side of the chip. It usually works, but it's easy to bend a pin out of place.

Spend a few bucks for a puller. It's a lot easier and you won't bend pins if you do it right. Besides, it's too easy to slip and scratch some traces on your board. That puller is also great for removing key caps on old keyboards. I use it for refurbishing model F's.

If you're handy, just make a simple "L" shaped bit of steel narrow enough to fit between the rows of pins on a DIP (1/4" should be fine). Slip one end under the chip between the socket and the chip body and rock from side to side. The chip will come straight out.

I've been using one I built sometime in the 70s--it's better than most of the other pullers that I've tried using.

OK,

So I slide this puller underneath the chip on both sides and pull up?

Tested this and it seemed like the whole chip and casing were gonna snap off the MOBO...

What is the trick to doing it right?

I have a dead MOBO to test with, but only have abour 5 shots at testing!

So I slide this puller underneath the chip on both sides and pull up?
Tested this and it seemed like the whole chip and casing were gonna snap off the MOBO...
What is the trick to doing it right?
I gave up on those very early in my career. Usually what happens is that one end of the chip comes out before the other, resulting in badly bent pins.

I typically use a blade screwdriver, one where the blade is very thin (to get into the small gap between chip and socket). Lever one end of the chip up a couple of millimetres, then the same to the other end, repeating the process as required until the chip is very close to falling out of the socket.

I strongly secong modem7's comments. That's a horrible tool and the the small, thin blade screwdriver is 100 times better, safer and more effective.

Back