• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Cheap 8-bit RJ-45 Network cards (eBay) $5.95

8-bit nic

8-bit nic

And they work fine ?

I guess I'll take the chance on one as well. XT + network = some kind of fun :)

Haven't received the cards yet, but I have another 8-bit rj-45 card and it works, tested it with linux and windows 3.11.

The only gotcha with the card, it was configured wrong, it was sharing the same resources as the floppy, and in windows it wouldn't work, in linux it did work but gave a warning at boot up and took forever to get an IP, once the card was correctly configured both winblows and linux worked without any problems.

The computer I tested the 8-bit card in was a 16 bit computer with 8 bit slots, 386, never tried it in a true blue 8-bit computer as of yet.

:rolleyes:

Hi all

Check this out:

Cheap Western Digital 8-bit network cards. This should be an easy way to get vintage pc's onto the net :)

Link here

I feel like this is a good deal, and that it could be usefull. BUT as of my XT doesn't have a hard drive (yet*), with the fact that I have bought a huge lot of vintage-computer stuff lately and that I don't want to push my dad to make another payment, I haven't planned to buy one yet. Pleas don't buy all of them (I will also buy an IBM Async. adapter from him when I decide to buy it).

In one year and some months, I get full controll of all my money, and then I would be able to buy it without going the way through parents.

(* See the 8-bit IDE controller Thread to see what I'm wating/hoping for)

I feel like this is a good deal, and that it could be usefull. BUT as of my XT doesn't have a hard drive (yet*), with the fact that I have bought a huge lot of vintage-computer stuff lately and that I don't want to push my dad to make another payment, I haven't planned to buy one yet. Pleas don't buy all of them (I will also buy an IBM Async. adapter from him when I decide to buy it).

In one year and some months, I get full controll of all my money, and then I would be able to buy it without going the way through parents.

(* See the 8-bit IDE controller Thread to see what I'm wating/hoping for)

Don't worry, he has over 30 cards available.

Do you need an MFM controller and a HDD for your XT? I may be able to help you.
I have a spare WD MFM controller and a 20MB ST-225. It works fine in an XT, and stason.org has the jumper settings and everything for the controller.

Don't worry, he has over 30 cards available.

Do you need an MFM controller and a HDD for your XT? I may be able to help you.
I have a spare WD MFM controller and a 20MB ST-225. It works fine in an XT, and stason.org has the jumper settings and everything for the controller.

It would be neat to have one, but as I said in the earlier post; unless you offer it for free, I'm not very interested at this time.

It would be neat to have one, but as I said in the earlier post; unless you offer it for free, I'm not very interested at this time.

No problem, I'll keep it in storage until I need it (or you do). We're not talking millions here anyway, so don't worry.

They are very good cards, but the shipping per card bothered me too. I have the long version of this card, and it works very well.

Mike

M$ is offering a special on BIN's from ebay with paypal, here's what you do:

1--go to live.com and search for cheap wii
2--the first link is a sponsored link from ebay, click it
3--you will then be on ebay and you should see a M$ banner at the top saying save X%, the percentage changes, right now at 8%.

you have to do a Buy It Now with Paypal option AND you have to have a Microsoft Cashback Program Account. You can then shop for anything that is BIN and get that discount and BE SURE to watch for that banner up top and verify it is there, you will be asked to review your purchase and it will show you what you save BEFORE you verify it.

At one time this percentage was at 30% and will probably get back to it really soon. I heard about this on another forum, hope it saves someone some funds. 30% on a high dollar item is a substantial amount.

Are these any better then 8 bit ISA 3com cards? I have 2 of the 8 bit 3com ones but they need AUI adapters to RJ45 (only have one).

Sucks when shipping is 2x the price of the card.

I wonder what it would cost to ship one to sweden?

JT

Probably too much, I was once charged $10 to have something shipped, when it got here it had a 95c stamp on the package, must of been a long walk to the post office....:sneaky:

8-bit nic

8-bit nic

Are these any better then 8 bit ISA 3com cards? I have 2 of the 8 bit 3com ones but they need AUI adapters to RJ45 (only have one).

Sucks when shipping is 2x the price of the card.

I tried the card on a 386 with Windows 3.11, the computer had a 8-bit slot and everything worked as it should, I used TCP/IP and 16 bit Mirc and all that stuff, transfer rates were good.

I also tested the card with Linux and it had no problems.

Technically the card is I have is working so at least when I try it in my IBM XT at some point its just a matter of getting the software setup correctly.

I paid $30 USD for 2 cards & shipping to norway. I don't worry too much about it though, as it ain't that much :)

about 212 NOK or 245 SEK.

Back