• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Cheap 8-bit RJ-45 Network cards (eBay) $5.95

I paid $30 USD for 2 cards & shipping to norway. I don't worry too much about it though, as it ain't that much :)

about 212 NOK or 245 SEK.

To be precise; 31.95$.
I find that in the upper (but still within) range of what I'll pay for something like this.

I actually recenly bought the card (and some other cards*) from him.
I know I could just mod the packet driver for my 3COM 509B to use x86 codes only, but I really don't got time for that.

[*one IBM Async. Com. adapter and one IBM Parallel/Printer adapter]

But my question is as follows:
Does anyone got the driver disk for the WD8003W card (with a x86 compatible packet driver)?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Wd

Wd

Woops, my bad. Have you tried older versions of the 3com packet driver ?
I have a generic SMC driver that *might* work for the WD card. If you haven't already tried it, let me know where to put it, if you want it. It's about a 2 Mbyte zip.

patscc

I already got the 3com packet driver (it uses 286 codes).
The one I need driver for is the WD8003W.

*Edit*
I see that somehow dissapreard from my original post. I'll fix it.

Se here for jumper settings.

So a 3c509 will not work on 8086 and 8088?

So what should i buy, i have a feeling that my XT run in 10 Mhz but it is not a 286.

Is there a program to check CPU version in old computers or do you have to use debug?

JT

So a 3c509 will not work on 8086 and 8088?

So what should i buy, i have a feeling that my XT run in 10 Mhz but it is not a 286.

Is there a program to check CPU version in old computers or do you have to use debug?

JT
Not the 3c509, but the 3c509b (3c509 will only work in a 16-bit slot).

It (3c509b) MIGH work. It works in an 8-bit slot on a 286, however, nobody has written any Packet driver for it that'll work on an 8088. The packet driver supplied by Crynwr should work with a v20, but I haven't tried (as of I don't have a v20).

Hi all

Check this out:

Cheap Western Digital 8-bit network cards. This should be an easy way to get vintage pc's onto the net :)

Link here

This guy over charges for shipping, and ships cards inside a padded envelope, not the best, you might get cards damaged like me...

If you buy from this guy, I would ask first how will my cards be shipped.

This guy over charges for shipping, and ships cards inside a padded envelope, not the best, you might get cards damaged like me...

If you buy from this guy, I would ask first how will my cards be shipped.

My cards was not damaged during shipping. I have driver disks for a WD 8-bit network card. I will check if they work with this card or not.

If you want to try, I can zip them up and put them on a webserver and link to it here.

My cards was not damaged during shipping. I have driver disks for a WD 8-bit network card. I will check if they work with this card or not.

If you want to try, I can zip them up and put them on a webserver and link to it here.

Mine were shipped in a padded envelope and the metal part that holds the card to the case were both bent, and what I was charged in shipping was 4x more than what it cost him. :mad:

Neat, I'll be wating for your results. However, if you don't get it working, you might try the one supplied from Crynwr.
Mine were shipped in a padded envelope and the metal part that holds the card to the case were both bent, and what I was charged in shipping was 4x more than what it cost him. :mad:
Foam-peanuts are worser, they might generate static electricity in addition to normal shipping handeling.

I'll just warn everybody, never EVER ship electronic devices in foam-peanuts without using a sealed antistatic bag.

I usually have to pay shipping prices as high as that for sending stuff from the US to Norway. I bought 3 cards with combined sipping because of that.

I really don't know how common the IBM printer adapter is/was, as of lot's of 3rd party I/O cards and the MDA/Printer card where fairly common at a more reasonable price. Anyway, I got one, too bad it can't be configured to anything else than LTP2.

Last edited:
I really don't know how common the IBM printer adapter is/was, as of lot's of 3rd party I/O cards and the MDA/Printer card where fairly common at a more reasonable price. Anyway, I got one, too bad it can't be configured to anything else than LTP2.
Just a technical correction in case others are unaware.
"to anything else than LTP2" really should be "to anything else than port 378". Why? Because port 378 doesn't always equate to LPT2.

On power up, the PC/XT/AT searches for parallel ports at 3BC, 378 and 278 (in that order) and places the results in the BIOS data area. When DOS loads, it then assigns LPT1/LPT2/LPT3 based on the info in the BIOS data area.

Scenario 1 - two ports in computer, at 3BC and 378:
3BC: first listed in BIOS data area - DOS will assign LPT1 to it
378: second listed in BIOS data area - DOS will assign LPT2 to it

Scenario 2 - only one port in computer, at 378:
378: first (and only) listed in BIOS data area - DOS will assign LPT1 to it

So there we have it. In one scenario, the IBM printer adapter is assigned LPT2 by DOS, and in the second scenario, the IBM printer adapter is assigned LPT1 by DOS.

Some programs ignore the DOS assignment and will always refer to port 3BC as LPT1, 378 as LPT2 and 278 as LPT3.

A similar thing happens with serial ports.

Just a technical correction in case others are unaware.
"to anything else than LTP2" really should be "to anything else than port 378". Why? Because port 378 doesn't always equate to LPT2.

On power up, the PC/XT/AT searches for parallel ports at 3BC, 378 and 278 (in that order) and places the results in the BIOS data area. When DOS loads, it then assigns LPT1/LPT2/LPT3 based on the info in the BIOS data area.

Scenario 1 - two ports in computer, at 3BC and 378:
3BC: first listed in BIOS data area - DOS will assign LPT1 to it
378: second listed in BIOS data area - DOS will assign LPT2 to it

Scenario 2 - only one port in computer, at 378:
378: first (and only) listed in BIOS data area - DOS will assign LPT1 to it

So there we have it. In one scenario, the IBM printer adapter is assigned LPT2 by DOS, and in the second scenario, the IBM printer adapter is assigned LPT1 by DOS.

Some programs ignore the DOS assignment and will always refer to port 3BC as LPT1, 378 as LPT2 and 278 as LPT3.

A similar thing happens with serial ports.

Didn't know that...

Here are the drivers for WD cards (WD Plus)

They seem to work with this card as well, and you can configure it with it.

The Diagnose part does not work 100% as it look for some Resident diagnostics in the card.

Download them here: (ZIP file, Unzip to C:\wdplus)

WDPLUS.ZIP

I was searching for more like a packet driver (TCP/IP). This seems like a Micro-chanel based driver.

I was searching for more like a packet driver (TCP/IP). This seems like a Micro-chanel based driver.

D'OH! I didn't have time to investigate that last night. All I did was to install the 3 floppies to the XT and them zip it up.

Does any have the pin configuration for this Starlan WD 8-bit card?

The IRQ's are clearly marked but the others are not.

Thanks!

The Setup software inside the ZIP file can configure those cards from software. My card has a resistor over each IRQ jumper, and it's software configurable. So is the card address..

Found packet drivers for WD cards

Found packet drivers for WD cards

I found a suitable packet driver for the WD cards here: http://www.crynwr.com/

Driver is inside the attached ZIP file.

Attachments

• SMC_WD.zip
    6.5 KB · Views: 1
Back