• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Cheap 8-bit RJ-45 Network cards (eBay) $5.95

No, I still don't get it to work. Will do a few experiments today and I'll let you know the results.

NADD will problably be most usefull then. If it can't determine card type:
  1. Keep the W1 jumper on when you start your computer.
  2. Run NADD, and it should now report that the card is a WD8003W with either 8k or 32k of RAM and 4 interrupt possibilities and the I/O base address.
  3. Then try to set new settings with the file I've attached (it is another version of the setup program. I found the ascii text "8003W" in it, so I beleve the card is supported).
  4. After that, run NADD once more, and if it gets the same results as in nr2, you should be able to get it working, if not, restart (cold boot) the computer and just enable the interrupt from the setup program.
Remove the jumper from W1 when done.

If NADD reports the card good, then you should get the Packet Driver to work just by
Code:
SMC_WD 0x60
. Also make sure that you use an apropriate TCP/IP stack if the program you try to run need one. Therse just relays on the packet driver, so if you get the packet driver working, the rest should be piece-of-cake.

Attachments

• ezsetup.zip
    32.8 KB · Views: 1
Here can you read what was the problem with my card.

Anyways, I got the real packet driver. They're avalible from this site. Most recent drivers: ETHER.EXE, Setup: gez122.exe, Diagnostics: dia401.exe.

The syntax is about the same:
Code:
PKT8000.COM 0x60

Here can you read what was the problem with my card.

Anyways, I got the real packet driver. They're avalible from this site. Most recent drivers: ETHER.EXE, Setup: gez122.exe, Diagnostics: dia401.exe.

The syntax is about the same:
Code:
PKT8000.COM 0x60

w00t!!! IT WORKS!!! Yay!
When I trsted it with the above setup program and Pacet driver, the Twisted pair unshielded part connector of the card worked like a charm!

w00t!!! IT WORKS!!! Yay!
When I trsted it with the above setup program and Pacet driver, the Twisted pair unshielded part connector of the card worked like a charm!

Wait a minute, it works in my 486, but parts of it seems to halt my XT. I guess it is because I'm running the packet-driver from a floppy disk, and not a faster hard drive.

It seems like most programs taking controll of expansion cards seems to fail when run from a floppy disk, or do they just use 286 codes?

Wait a minute, it works in my 486, but parts of it seems to halt my XT. I guess it is because I'm running the packet-driver from a floppy disk, and not a faster hard drive.

It seems like most programs taking controll of expansion cards seems to fail when run from a floppy disk, or do they just use 286 codes?

after an awfull lot of trial-and-failing, I'm rather confused. The older crynwr driver from the crynwr site tells me that the memory at the memory adress are not used by the WD board, a statement that's not true.

I'm more confused because I got it working ONE time, however I haven't been able to do so later on.

I'm confused, and I would be VERY happy if ANYBODY made ANY comment with troubleshooting or their explanation on getting this card to work in an XT.

after an awfull lot of trial-and-failing, I'm rather confused. The older crynwr driver from the crynwr site tells me that the memory at the memory adress are not used by the WD board, a statement that's not true.

I'm more confused because I got it working ONE time, however I haven't been able to do so later on.

I'm confused, and I would be VERY happy if ANYBODY made ANY comment with troubleshooting or their explanation on getting this card to work in an XT.

When I have time, I'll look into this in my XT. I just haven't had much time on my hands for working with this lately.

Well, I've just received this card, and after messing arround a while, I managed to put it to work doing several things.
First, I used the jumper on the top, labeled W1, closing it to reset the internal EEPROM on the card, then after turning the PC on and off so the card erases the EEPROM, I opened the jumper and ran the setup utility from WDPLUS.ZIP, configuring it on 280h, IRQ 3 and ADDR D000h. Then, ran the packet driver, SMC_WD.COM, this way:
smc_wd 0x60 -o 3 0x280 0xD000
And it's done, the driver loads, and after defining the ip, netmask, gateway, and dns (set ip=xxx...., etc) the card works perfect, I managed to connect to irc, use ftp, etc.

Well, I've just received this card, and after messing arround a while, I managed to put it to work doing several things.
First, I used the jumper on the top, labeled W1, closing it to reset the internal EEPROM on the card, then after turning the PC on and off so the card erases the EEPROM, I opened the jumper and ran the setup utility from WDPLUS.ZIP, configuring it on 280h, IRQ 3 and ADDR D000h. Then, ran the packet driver, SMC_WD.COM, this way:
smc_wd 0x60 -o 3 0x280 0xD000
And it's done, the driver loads, and after defining the ip, netmask, gateway, and dns (set ip=xxx...., etc) the card works perfect, I managed to connect to irc, use ftp, etc.

What kind of PC was this on?

Holy crap.. have I really stared at this and said "maybe later" for a two and a half years now? Unbelievably this auction and item is still available. Now.. to think about it some more. ;-)

Holy crap.. have I really stared at this and said "maybe later" for a two and a half years now? Unbelievably this auction and item is still available. Now.. to think about it some more. ;-)

I've had it in my eBay watch list for sometime now, as well... Considering picking one up for my Compaq Portable. :)

Pc xt, 8088, 640k ram, cga.

You know in The Lion King, each time one of the hiyeenas says the name "Mufasa", the other gets all gigglish and begs "do it again...do it again...!"......??

Well... Can you say "PC XT, 8088, 640k RAM, CGA" one more time, please?!?!?! :-D

Just, something about it....

Back