• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DEC units on ebay

I put the sell it now on eBay to $15k. I really expected it not to sell and to take an offer. But I guess Paul Allen being super rich did not quabble over a few thousand. He sent someone out to look at it an evaluate. I gave them all the manuals and documentation I had gathered over the years too. But I figured I did not want to sell it for too little either. I would have been better off keeping the single rack 8e instead. Oh well, live and learn.

Ebay madness is reaching new levels:

This is a CDC 869 disk pack as used on CDC 841 or IBM 2314 disk drives at a bargain basement price of only US$66,430.00. You are saving US$24,570 from the original price of US91,000.00.

Grab it now as this opportunity will never come back. :)

Wow, what a deal! Will that work in the RM05?
Not sure about that one, but I have three CDC disk packs that will. They are sitting on a shelf gathering dust so you can have them for a bargain 20000$ each , buy two get the third for free:ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• CDC 882 Disk Pack.jpg
    CDC 882 Disk Pack.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Appears to have had a head crash in the past. So not likely to be useable at all unless you wish to trash your heads also. Man I should have kept that RP06 drive I had with 2 disk packs. I'd be rich. :)

Appears to have had a head crash in the past. So not likely to be useable at all unless you wish to trash your heads also. Man I should have kept that RP06 drive I had with 2 disk packs. I'd be rich. :)
Indeed! I saved these from going to the dump a few years ago:
1693672036813.jpeg

-Chris

I still have a couple of RM03 disk packs from the MIT days with ITS and I think Tops/20 on them. One I believe was a Panda pack.

Anyone got a working RM03?

I still have a couple of RM03 disk packs from the MIT days with ITS and I think Tops/20 on them. One I believe was a Panda pack.

Anyone got a working RM03?

I have an RM03 on my KS10. The drive will go ready, I can read the serial number from the Massbus controller, but I have never been able to format a pack.

The oldest set I have is an RCA 621TS.
Ya got me there. My oldest is a 1968 RCA CTC-24 "New Vista Color". I pestered my dad endlessly to get this. He was waiting for color TV to be "perfected" first but finally relented. I loved fiddling with the color and tint controls to get the picture just right. The black rectangle at the top is a translucent screen. The channel selector has a plastic film wheel attached with the channel numbers printed on it and a small light bulb behind. The numbers are projected onto the screen. You won't find that anymore. It hasn't been powered up in over 30 years. It's on my list.

Attachments

• RCA-CTC24.jpg
    RCA-CTC24.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 20
s-l960.jpg

DEC 'original' straight PDP-8.
Looks like a fun project for someone that enjoys fine-tuning 60-year-old flakey core memory.

Nice! If only that comma was one position to the left, then I would have a chance... But this is elite level hobby on which I can't compete...

Who knows what happens in the future...
We all get older as others do, too; so there may still be chances in the future to get some irons one has ever dreamed of his whole life :)

And in my opinion the people who are interested in those systems are not becoming more and more, so prices may go downwards long term...

That is impressive! Looks in fairly good shape too. Pity the glass was damaged, but that’s relatively easily reproduced. Can’t justify several months salary but if I win the lottery…

That seems reasonably priced given the rarity, I won’t be surprised if it sells.

Back