• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DEC units on ebay

Maybe, however you can get a pretty clean 8/L for 2k right now. That's hardly big bucks for a computer that someone stored and took care of for close to 50 years.

Unfortunately the second auction ended shortly after it was re-posted. Apparently a behind the scenes deal was made!

The biggest obstacle for me was getting it; too far to drive, and looks like a pita to ship.

Last edited:
Glad it sold, heck it even included a M series card tester. I fixed mine with nothing more than a 7400 chip tester in circuit and a lot of patience.

The MMV11 is kind of cool, I forget how it would fit in a 9270 type backplane. But yeah, make an offer.... :)

PDP-8/e parts (not mine):

smp
Yikes that is big bucks for basically a backplane, power supply, and some front panel pieces. Not even a whole chassis. No cards listed. None. Nada. Zip.

What interests me about this particular chassis is that the front cover lock looks like it is almost intact. I've never seen one in that condition. I would like to 3D model one so if somebody gets this box I would like to borrow that piece.

This VAX 4000-500 has been listed a few times. Now it is down to $200 starting bid, which is not too bad of a price if you happen to be somewhere near the San Francisco area to pick it up locally:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314951903547

Doesn't have any DSSI drives installed, or appear to have any Q-bus expansion boards installed, and no photos of the CPU bulkhead panel open to show that the KA680 CPU and some memory boards are actually installed. I'd want to see photos with the CPU bulkhead panel open if I was interested in this myself.

I'd want the power supply. Or at least a manual on how to troubleshoot that little box of insanity.....

Vintage Digital Equipment Corporation DEC PDP-8/M Computer

Starting bid of $5999 it looks fairly clean. Problems I see are the three board 8k core set is mixed in with the CPU boards in a way that will not work. I would expect damage if it was powered up this way. The power switch is not visible through the front panel opening. The M8650 is missing but it has a Remex controller of some sort. Maybe for a floppy or RK05. I dont know anything about the Remex. There is also an M832 board. I think this is the first generation of the bus loads card which is the M8320. Since it has an M8320 this would be a museum card as it should not be in this machine.

Might be a good starter machine at about 1/3 of the starting bid price. I don't know where they come up with these prices.

I agree nice looking machine. I hope they did not power it on configured like it is (I agree with your assessment). But way too high a starting bid. I'd expect this might go for $1500 to $2500.

DEC DIGITAL PDP-8E / TU56 DECTAPE TRANSPORT IN CABINET W/ MANUALS

I like this one a lot. You repair the crumbling foam issues and you might have a pretty nice machine. If the module list is accurate then it has 8k of core and the TD8E DECtape controller. It also has the ROM thing which would let you boot from the TD8E and gave you 12k with the last 4k being semiconductor and sort of a shadow ROM. I think this was a pretty rare setup. The list does not show a console interface which I find odd. Since there are no photos of the inside of the 8/e itself there is no way to verify any of this.

If I was feeling flush I would contact the seller and find out more particulars. If everything I think is there is there then it might be worth the starting bid price of$7500. But this is one of those situations where I would go pick it up myself.

I sent a note to the seller asking for photos of the cards inside the CPU. I won't be buying this machine but I hope it finds a good home.

Back