• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Dell OptiPlex GXa won't boot; how to configure devices in SCSI BIOS

Maybe I missed something earlier in this thread, but why not park all of the IDE/CF stuff and just run your SCSI?

Must be something in your motherboard BIOS. I use SCSI and IDE/SATA hard drives all the time in the same systems.

Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Maybe I missed something earlier in this thread, but why not park all of the IDE/CF stuff and just run your SCSI?
I need to use this computer to examine about 150 salvage IDE hard drives, seeing if they are usable, including copying off anything needed.

Plus, it came to the point where I couldn’t even get the SCSI card to recognize both the SCSI CD-ROM and the SCSI HDD simultaneously.

I need to use this computer to examine about 150 salvage IDE hard drives, seeing if they are usable, including copying off anything needed.

Plus, it came to the point where I couldn’t even get the SCSI card to recognize both the SCSI CD-ROM and the SCSI HDD simultaneously.
Why not just use an IDE to USB dock for that? Are the IDE drives pre LBA (under 500mb)?

Okay, so it's an IDE test bench. So why even dabble with SCSI then?

Why not just use an IDE to USB dock for that? Are the IDE drives pre LBA (under 500mb)?
Yes, almost all of them.

Okay, so it's an IDE test bench. So why even dabble with SCSI then?
My original vision for this computer was the "able to access anything" computer: from 360 kB. floppies to 1.44 MB. floppies to IDE to SCSI to USB to CD-ROM to an external SCSI double Bernoulli drive. I'll just have to put the SCSI stuff in another circa 2000 computer.

Last edited:
Yes, almost all of them.

My original vision for this computer was the "able to access anything" computer: from 360 kB. floppies to 1.44 MB. floppies to IDE to SCSI to USB to CD-ROM to an external SCSI double Bernoulli drive. I'll just have to put the SCSI stuff in another circa 2000 computer.
I always liked NT 4.0 setup on a SCSI drive with the Adaptec 2904 controller. 4.0 It okay as long as you don't crave a lot of USB. Might talk myself into doing it again in the near future.

Adaptec 2904? Do you perhaps mean the Adaptec AHA-2940? Win2K is also a nice compact, stable release for older systems.
I hate to admit it, but I'm slightly dyslexic, not in the usual context, such as reading, but in typing and speaking. It's not unusual for me to blurt out with "cuppy coff" instead of "coffee cup". Yes, of course I meant the 2940.

Back