• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Does anyone recognize any of these 2 screens from my 2 Franklin Ace 1000s

mudmin

Experienced Member
Before I start tearing things apart too much, I would see if either of these screens show any particular common fault on these machines. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• WIN_20230722_05_34_42_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20230722_05_34_42_Pro.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 33
  • WIN_20230722_05_40_02_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20230722_05_40_02_Pro.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 33
So far no symptom changes, but this is what I've done so far.
I swapped the entire daughter board at the bottom. Did not make a symptom difference on either machine. Swapped CPUs and roms. No symptoms changed. On the second one, I checked all 24 ram chips. That's about as far as I've gotten.

The socket that the color daughterboard plugs into at ZA6 isn't making good connection with the color daughterboard's pin headers. The same thing happened on one of my ACE1000s; that socket isn't rated for too many remove/insert cycles. I ended up having to replace both the socket and the pin headers.

Do either of you have any documentation for the color daughterboard? Or know where I can find it?

There's a schematic about midway through the PDF Adrian posted at https://archive.org/details/franklin-service-1-of-2/, and I posted the contents of the PROM in this thread.

The SAMS ComputerFact (available for sale via their website) is reasonably useful for troubleshooting as well.

If you don't need color, though, you might be better off converting the ACE1000 to monochrome -- the video becomes rock-solid, and the color artifacting that was present even in text mode with that (expletive deleted) daughterboard is gone. I've written up the procedure at https://www.disavowed.jp/?p=288.

After the conversion, the ACE1000 can be further converted to Apple-style color generation by adding a choke and capacitor per the instructions in Adrian's PDF. I haven't gotten around to writing up that procedure, as I'm happy with monochrome, but it's straightforward.

Last edited:
There's a schematic about midway through the PDF Adrian posted at https://archive.org/details/franklin-service-1-of-2/, and I posted the contents of the PROM in this thread.

The SAMS ComputerFact (available for sale via their website) is reasonably useful for troubleshooting as well.

If you don't need color, though, you might be better off converting the ACE1000 to monochrome -- the video becomes rock-solid, and the color artifacting that was present even in text mode with that (expletive deleted) daughterboard is gone. I've written up the procedure at https://www.disavowed.jp/?p=288.

After the conversion, the ACE1000 can be further converted to Apple-style color generation by adding a choke and capacitor per the instructions in Adrian's PDF. I haven't gotten around to writing up that procedure, as I'm happy with monochrome, but it's straightforward.
Thanks for this information. I was looking for the programming / user guide on how to use the color daughterboard. Without this information it's essentially useless.

Oh ... sorry, I have never seen documentation on the special Franklin graphics mode provided by the daughterboard.

From the schematic, it appears that it's activated by putting the machine into GR; that enables the special glyphs in the high half of the chargen 2532 ROM. Beyond that, ENOCLUE.

Oh ... sorry, I have never seen documentation on the special Franklin graphics mode provided by the daughterboard.

From the schematic, it appears that it's activated by putting the machine into GR; that enables the special glyphs in the high half of the chargen 2532 ROM. Beyond that, ENOCLUE.

Thanks, do you know if there are any BASIC graphics commands which take advantage of the extra capabilities?

I don't think so; the Franklin AppleSoft ROM is identical to Apple's.

I think the way it was supposed to work is that the program would switch into GR mode and just print characters, which would be in the alternate charset in the top half of the chargen 2532. Maybe, just a WAG based on the schematic. There was a former Franklin employee lurking on the forum a few years back; if he's still around, perhaps he'll chime in.

I don't think so; the Franklin AppleSoft ROM is identical to Apple's.

I think the way it was supposed to work is that the program would switch into GR mode and just print characters, which would be in the alternate charset in the top half of the chargen 2532. Maybe, just a WAG based on the schematic. There was a former Franklin employee lurking on the forum a few years back; if he's still around, perhaps he'll chime in.
Thanks for this information. It makes me wonder if there's any real value add to this board.

Thanks for this information. It makes me wonder if there's any real value add to this board.
I personally don't think so; it exists only to work around the Apple patent on color signal generation.

The color signal generated by the board is so lousy that I converted my ACE1000 that had the board to monochrome. Apple-style color can then be had for the cost of a few passive components, if you absolutely need color display.

Back