• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Dual Pentium III

the example of text editors was chucked out there, and, well, it does kind of blow my mind when I download what *seems* on the surface should be a pretty simple piece of software but it's a 100+ MB download, but, well, there are reasons for it and some of them are kind of unavoidable these days. (Just as a for-instance, UNIX was *hella* smaller back in the 1970's, sure, but by today's standards it was also massively insecure and it was trivial to break it with bad inputs/buffer overflows/etc. Just adding the layers of security we need for anything that might even remotely touch the internet is a massive cost multiplier.)

Visual Studio Code and Atom are worst offenders for me.
Programmer's text editors are in range of couple of megabytes, IDE's are in range of tens, RADs in hundreds.
Here come Electron "apps" realizing something in between programmer's text editor and IDE, with a size and memory usage of RAD.

But there are always options. Many alternatives to these monstrous waste of resources.

Drifting a bit off topic, but I'm running Debian Linux. On an older generation system with CentOS and an earlier version of Mixbus using JACK I was under 20ms but that was using an Maudio Delta 1010LT. The newer machine, even with it being close to ten times faster than the old Precision M4300, isn't low enough latency for good overdubbing, so I pull out the M4300 (full PCI slot in the dock) with the 1010LT when doing punch in/out. Using a Focusrite Scarlett 2+2 on the other one. I have several plugins, including an excellent Fairchild 670 emulation.

What sample rate and frame count?
I could run 44.1 with 512 frames @ 16ms in mid 2000s with Pentium 4 and EMu Systems PCI card on Windows 2000 with ASIO.
The current computer runs Scarlett Solo 3rd gen at 48kHz with 696 frames @ 14.5ms with ASIO.

There's a chance the chipset/USB is slowing things down in your case. Have you tried a pci express USB card?

How come the single thread performance is so near with 1GHz of clock difference?

They can both "turbo boost" up to 3.6Ghz. The small difference in favor of the i7 is probably just a "spool up" delay on the larger CPU, which, as you note, has a 1.1Ghz slower *base* frequency.

But there are always options. Many alternatives to these monstrous waste of resources.

Another trend that kind of makes me sad is "containerizing" everything. I mean, sure, there are security advantages to not having shared libraries and it also gets rid of version clash issues, but, man, it's astounding just how much bloat it adds. (Static linking for compiled binaries is also coming back in spades. Golang is the poster child for it. Sure, it has its advantages, but I start swearing a little under my breath every time I have to scp something...)

Last edited:
Programmer's text editors are in range of couple of megabytes, IDE's are in range of tens, RADs in hundreds.

I used PFE for a long time when I had to use Windows. Notepad++ fills that niche now on Windows. On Linux, I use vi over ssh sessions, and a mix of the GNOME Text Editor and Sublime Text in the GUI. There's even a Z80 code mode for Sublime....
What sample rate and frame count?
This is definitely OT at this point. Head over to the Harrison Mixbus Forum for that sort of discussion.....

i7-5820K on an X99S motherboard.
There are 22 core Xeons available on Ali for 300e that my motherboard supports. These have similar single thread performance as mine, just almost 4x the core count.
You can get that 22 core xeon for a fraction of that price on eBay. If your workload would benefit from more cores instead of higher clocks absolutely go for it.

I haven't verified it, but I believe modern multicore CPUs tend to use less power per core than older mutli-CPUs setups. e.g. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/498083-DEMO/HP_Hewlett_Packard_XW8200_Dual_Xeon_3_4GHz.html in particular, were real watt-suckers.

That’s a Netburst-based Xeon. Which just like their Pentium 4 cousins were positively insane when it came to sucking power. The last-gen “dual core” ones (which were of course just two separate dies in the same package) had TDPs of 165 watts. A Conroe 2-core (first gen 64 bit Core Xeon) which easily outruns it has a TDP of 65 watts. A single-core NetBurst 3+ ghz Xeon has a TDP around 95-110w.

Of course this is more about the architecture generally than single vs. multi cores. NetBurst was… bad.

You can get that 22 core xeon for a fraction of that price on eBay. If your workload would benefit from more cores instead of higher clocks absolutely go for it.

I've overstated the price because originally I just took a glance on Ali just over the first results.
Ordered one for 170e, no shipping, verified seller that already sold 40 chips.

I can't see competitive prices on ebay.de, V3s are cheap (sub 100e), V4s aren't, prices are bit higher.

Another trend that kind of makes me sad is "containerizing" everything. I mean, sure, there are security advantages to not having shared libraries and it also gets rid of version clash issues, but, man, it's astounding just how much bloat it adds. (Static linking for compiled binaries is also coming back in spades. Golang is the poster child for it. Sure, it has its advantages, but I start swearing a little under my breath every time I have to scp something...)

I deal with Kubernetes on professional basis and I think containers are abused overall, never mind the 'orchestration'
Containers in Linux kernel are not a security barrier akin to Solaris zones or FreeBSD jails. But they're being used as such.

Interesting you mention static linking, I wanted to write about a terminal app for Windows I use lately, wezterm, in the context of bloat we were talking about, it's a 60 meg download because it's in Rust.
I can't say if this is a bloat or not. 60meg is not much storage. It's fast, doesn't use much memory, and is very non-bloated when it comes to appearance and configuration. But if every 'utility' would come with a 50MB runtime then it would quickly all become bloat.

Well, the Matrox Video Card started having a blue tint today, just out of the blue. So much for that! Is a shame because I was approaching the finish line on the hardware build. I stuck in the Diamond PCI card I had laying around for now. Working on loading OS's but 98Se hates my CF to IDE Card. I did put in some old IDE drives. Will see where I get with it all tomorrow.

Try to wipe up everything around memory chips on MGA with a toothbrush before discarding it. It may be a piece of conductive material shorting something.

I'm certain that I installed 98SE using a CF instead of an IDE drive on a few systems. No problems that I can recall. On the other hand, XP can be a problem because it sees many CFs as "removable" media and will refuse to install on it. (There are work-arounds).

Try to wipe up everything around memory chips on MGA with a toothbrush before discarding it. It may be a piece of conductive material shorting something.
Great suggestion, I will give that a try today. I just gave it its own SD card, 16GB will be more than I would ever need for it. It loaded but Win98 will be a NO GO, unable to find compatible Motherboard drivers so far. So I will go 2K Pro, XP Pro.

Ah so 98 hates your IDE controller. Is this on P3 system you mentioned?

Great suggestion, I will give that a try today. I just gave it its own SD card, 16GB will be more than I would ever need for it. It loaded but Win98 will be a NO GO, unable to find compatible Motherboard drivers so far. So I will go 2K Pro, XP Pro.
Well, still blue tint to the video on the Matrox, maybe I will see if I can find another. I did get 98 to boot now using some other intel drivers, who knows how stable it will be and I still have to find some USB Drivers. I can likely cobble some more drivers together when I put some more work into it.

So now I am loading 2K Pro, trying it to another drive to see if its boot manager will still let me get to 98. I know 2K works great on its own SD Card. I am using a CF to SD Adapter since SD Cards are so much cheaper. In an Ideal world XP will work on the other physical HD and allow me to choose 2K and 98. Not sure I want to mess with Vista.

Ah so 98 hates your IDE controller. Is this on P3 system you mentioned?
So what it hates is having multiple partitions on a single SD Card. 98SE seems to get very confused by that, wants to format them all and then continually gets drive size errors. Its funny how I used to have multiboot machines back in the day and never had issues like these. Just rather interesting. Its Win98 and not the Dual P3. MOBO drivers are an issue though.

Simple solution: get a couple SD cards. Does the machine really need to multi-boot from internal storage?

Back