• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

eBay Find...

RSX11M+

Veteran Member
This may be of interest to you if you're in the San Diego Area.

If I were still living in California, you wouldn't be getting this opportunity, because I would be competing for it. (I'd really love to have a 68000 and Z80 Microprocessor Emulator)

Note: Fellas... These appear to be PDP-11/23 based. (I don't think the owner knows it)

I never really pay much attention to what PDP stuff goes for. It's totally random. I think what happens is one guy decides he really wants some pdp stuff and has disposable income. He goes on a buying spree. Maybe some months you have 2-3 people after the same stuff and prices go up. They are basically paying for the right to not have to work to find it and they want it now. The next month better versions of the same thing go for $100 because nobody is out shopping. This went for more than the buy it now price. How much sense does that make ? He only wanted $2499 on craigslist. Think it was $2799 on ebay.

It may just be more about who happens to be shopping at any given point in time rather than actual value. It's given away all the time too. Unfortunately scrapped a lot as well.

Last edited:
Wait a second, I know that system!
It was seen on Auction Hunters.

auction-hunters-pdp.png

auction-hunters-pdp11.png

Where did all the RK05 packs go? There was a LOT of them. There was a stack of boxed ones in the same locker as tall as the guys.
Edited: There's also two plastic covers missing too.

I was thinking it was a similar system, but the same system found! Such a small world... At least im not the only one that watches the storage shows! >.<

Al of bitsavers got it. I think most people that might have bid backed off to let him have it. Unless you meant the PDP stuff mentioned which went for more than $3k. More than the buy it now price. I never understand that.

Geeze.....

It went for $150??

Someone got a nice haul.

Al of bitsavers got it. I think most people that might have bid backed off to let him have it. Unless you meant the PDP stuff mentioned which went for more than $3k. More than the buy it now price. I never understand that.

I was referring to the auction I started the thread on. [Which was PDP-11 based]

I'm glad Al got it. Like I said, a nice acquisition for someone. I already have enough PDP-11 stuff to last me a lifetime [well... maybe not] but I would definitely have appreciated the emulators.

Enjoy them Al.

I was referring to the auction I started the thread on. [Which was PDP-11 based]

I'm glad Al got it. Like I said, a nice acquisition for someone. I already have enough PDP-11 stuff to last me a lifetime [well... maybe not] but I would definitely have appreciated the emulators.

Enjoy them Al.

He was mainly after the software. You might contact him. I know the people grabbing it for him were claiming some of the spoils but, lot of stuff there. Heavy stuff though. Might cost more to ship one box than the whole auction went for.

He was mainly after the software.

I'm so glad the man from Bitsavers got the stuff. He will be sure to eventually archive the TNIX diskette data if at all possible.

I used the Tektronix 8560/8540 Development/Emulator System in the early 80s on several projects involving Z8002 CPUs and found the system which had a 40 MB hard drive, a pleasure to use compared to 8" floppy only systems such as the Gould Millennium 9520.

I hope the 8560 LSI-11 based computer boxes are fixable. It looks from the photo like they are stuck in 'self test' which may mean some issue with the electronics. The old hard drive may be an issue if it has been sitting around a while. If the utility diskette is OK, troubleshooting should be easier. As I recall, the documentation was extensive so a good troubleshooter should be able to pinpoint the problems. I wish the new owners the best in returning this venerable system to service.
-Dave

Tektronix 8560 -TNIX systems

Tektronix 8560 -TNIX systems

This may be of interest to you if you're in the San Diego Area.

If I were still living in California, you wouldn't be getting this opportunity, because I would be competing for it. (I'd really love to have a 68000 and Z80 Microprocessor Emulator)

Note: Fellas... These appear to be PDP-11/23 based. (I don't think the owner knows it)

I worked with these machines 25 years ago and I still have an 8560 kicking around my office (under some other vintage gear). The 8560 machines have a single Qbus slot and do indeed have a PDP-11/23 card. Equipped with an 8" floppy for backup and a 35Mb Micropolis 1200 series hard disk, TNIX and decent cross-compilers they were very nice multi-user development systems at the time. The hard drive sounds like a jet engine though. I powered it up recently and could not believe how loud it was. Amazingly loud.

I'd actually like to find a good home for the system and all its disks, manuals, etc. but I believe the HD or HD controller may be toast. I'm not motivated enough to debug it although I understand the interface is pretty simple. So unless someone wants it for parts it will likely end up at the curb. <sigh>

I'd actually like to find a good home for the system and all its disks, manuals, etc. but I believe the HD or HD controller may be toast. I'm not motivated enough to debug it although I understand the interface is pretty simple. So unless someone wants it for parts it will likely end up at the curb. <sigh>

It always helps to list where you are located. There might be someone interested in your system if they are local to you and can pick up.

... The hard drive sounds like a jet engine though. I powered it up recently and could not believe how loud it was. Amazingly loud.

I think I've posted this comment elsewhere on these forums, but in case members haven't tripped across it...

Most of the time I find those "really loud drives", it means that the internal drive filter [which is a stick-on] has detached from the inner roof of the drive enclosure and is dragging on the top platter.

Once or twice I've actually rehabilitated these. It depends on if I get to them before the filter's been ground to dust and crashes the heads.​

Please give us enough time to find them a home. "Curb" stories are a horrible prospect, and we'll do whatever we can to prevent them.

May I ask what kind of work you were doing 25 years ago on these? That would be like ~1987?

Back