• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Everex STEP Megacube Part Deux

Shadow Lord

Veteran Member
The Everex STEP Megacube….
….a monster beast of a server from the 1990s in the heyday of the 486 processor. I had read about this system back in the day in a series of Jerry Pournelli article. Of course w/ a base price of $4,559 and a top of the line price of almost $10,345 (for a 486DX/33 and 8MB of RAM) this was not going to find its way into a bedroom. The case, motherboard, and even the memory subsystem were custom designed by Everex (this was the day and age where being a clone maker actually meant you made something not just assembled it). There were also other innovations in there, many of which we take granted now, but back then were unheard of or rare:

1. Everex Thermal Management System: separation of MB and drives, temperature controlled case and PSU fans
  2. Thumb screws for easy access
  3. “Quick Release Drive Bays”
  4. LED read out of POST codes in ENGLISH on the front panel. It also lists the tracks being accessed on the floppy in real time.
  5. Freaking black cube case – remember PCs are supposed to be rectangular and dirty grey

This thing was built solid and weighed ~65lbs w/ just the case, PSU, and MB (no drives). The motherboard is EISA based w/ 10 EISA slots, a special 32bit memory board slot, and an 8-bit ISA slot. The system can support 64MB of RAM and 256kb of cache. There is also an on board bi-directional parallel port and two 16450 compatible serial ports. There are no FDC or HDD controllers on board.

Everex EV-18113
EV-18113.jpg

An old InfoWorld ad describing the STEP Megacube.

Every few years I’d go around the net looking for an old 486 cube system and usually would find nothing. So I was very surprised when I found one on e-bay quite by accident after I lost a bid on a Gateway Tower. The system was in sorry condition and the seller said it would not POST but I went ahead and ordered.

On arrival the system was dirty and abused and it did not POST. The usual checks failed and it turned out the PSU was bad. Also this being an EISA system you needed a CFG file and associated overlay file to setup the system and of course none was provided.

Dirt and Dust Everywhere

Dust1.jpg

Dust2.jpg

The paint has been chipped and the steel is tarnished after 20 years of abuse

PaintChipped.jpg

Tarnish.jpg

The drive bay door, operating on a hydraulic system, won’t stay down by itself

DriveBay-Broken.jpg

And of course there are no keys for the camlocks (a surprisingly good one w/ SEVEN tumblers).

CamLocks.jpg

However, thanks to help from members of this forum, specially Chuck(G) who fixed the PSU, I was able to get the system to POST. I also located a post from 2003 where someone else had gotten one of these machines and was looking for the EISA CFGs. Surprisingly, I was able to track him down seven years later and he still had the files!

*Everex B.01 EISA Configuration Utility 1.10* Unfortunately the forum will not let me attach it due to its size of ~400KB

I tracked down the OEM for the drive bay door latch and replaced the latch:

NoHands.jpg

I cleaned up the case and used metal polish to get rid of the tarnish on the case and parts:

Clean1.jpg

Clean2.jpg

Luckily the computer only used a Tadiran TL-5242-W for CMOS and it is still in production. I purchased one from the local Rat Shack and the CMOS is as good as new:

NewBattery.jpg

And we have POST :D:

POST1.jpg

POST2.jpg

POST3.jpg

The cam locks are a different issue. I plan to replace both of them w/ new ones w/ keys.
I am still toying with the idea of painting the sides and the top cover. However, I am worried about color matching with the front face.

Current Specs:
  • Everex STEP Megacube
  • Intel 486DX 50Mhz
  • Everex EV-18113 Motherboard Rev 3
  • Everex EV-18127 Memory Expansion board w/ 16MB DRAM
  • Elsa Winner 1000 EISA S3 928 1MB VRAM
  • CompatiCard IV w/ 1.05 BIOS FDC
  • Adaptec AHA-1742A SCSI 2 EISA Controller
  • 3COM 3C-597TX Fast Ethernet EISA NIC
  • Teac 1.44MB FDD
  • Sony GDM-C520K Monitor

Still to be installed:
  • Roland LAPC-I Revision 01
  • SB AWE 32 CT 2760 with 32MB of 70ns RAM and Roland SCD-15 wavetable
  • 64MB 60ns FPM DRAM
  • 1 MB VRAM upgrade to Elsa Winner
  • Teac 1.2MB FDD
  • SCSI 2 HDD (1-2GB)
  • SCSI 2 PlexWriter CD-RW
  • SCSI Seagate/Conner TapeStore 8000
  • Cambridge Soundworks FPS2000 Digital Speakers
  • Central Point Copy II PC
  • Teac 360KB FDD
  • USR Courier V. Everything Modem
  • Northgate Omnikey 101 Keyboard
  • Logitech C-Series Serial Mouse
  • Install OS: MS DOS 6.22 w/ MS Workgroups 3.11 addon for DOS w/ 4DOS 7.50
  • Windows for Workgroups 3.11

Planned Upgrades :
  • 16550A or better Serial Port Card
  • Logitech MouseMan Cordless

Wish List (If you have any of these and are interested in getting it to a good home please PM me):
  • Central Point Copy II PC Deluxe Enhanced Option Board (the one with the switch on the back)
  • Stacker AT/16 Option Board
  • Teac 2.88MB FDD

More pics to come! Plus some benchmarking and stress testing, and of course I am sure more trouble shooting!

Also in case anyone else is interested, or buys one of these beasts, drop me a line!

I like how it has the same color scheme as the Silicon Graphics Personal IRIS systems: maroon with yellow lettering.
You planning to upgrade it to a 5x86 or an Overdrive?

That's pretty cool! I've been following both threads. I love odd machines like this, and it's even better when someone gets one working! Good job!

EISA machines in general tend to be built well. I have a Nice P90 Zenith Data Systems Z server EX that is all EISA and has 6 HD bays at the bottom for RAID, a very well built huge metal tower of a system (something you would hate to ship).

Now this is what I call a real man's 486. I'm a big fan of all the old Everex stuff from the 286-486 area.

You have some pretty nice components planned for this system. In some ways similar to my own EISA 486, though I have to admit I could never do better than that black cube chassis. The am5x86 running at 150MHz would make a pretty powerful upgrade.

I am so jealous.. >.>

If you (or anybody else) spot(s) one of these for sale/trade let me know.

I'd totally put my Evergreen 586 in there if I had it. It's an Am5x86 in a voltage regulating chip w/ heatsink that has a 4x multi (selectable 3x, but jumper missing). I'd probably have to replace the heatsink with something huge and then it'd do 200Mhz in a box with a 50Mhz bus. :O

I like how it has the same color scheme as the Silicon Graphics Personal IRIS systems: maroon with yellow lettering.
You planning to upgrade it to a 5x86 or an Overdrive?

Not at this time. I like having the 486 and I think it is just the right speed to let me run a good chunk of SW from mid 80s to early 90s. In the future I may consider it but I went to alot of pain to make sure I stay period specific and replace parts only w/ OEM (or as close to possible) manufactured parts.

That's pretty cool! I've been following both threads. I love odd machines like this, and it's even better when someone gets one working! Good job!

Thanks. Although, I got to admit Chuck(G) was the one who fixed th PSU which allowed things to REALLY work. You know my fascination with big cube computers actually all started w/ the W.O.P.R. :p) My modern systems are also housed in cubes or at least rectangular cubes!

Last edited:
EISA machines in general tend to be built well. I have a Nice P90 Zenith Data Systems Z server EX that is all EISA and has 6 HD bays at the bottom for RAID, a very well built huge metal tower of a system (something you would hate to ship).

Tell me about it. Its kind of funny because the seller had this listed on eBay for $90 S&H but on his own website for a $20 S&H. Same sale price so guess, where I ordered it from? ;)

Now this is what I call a real man's 486. I'm a big fan of all the old Everex stuff from the 286-486 area.

You have some pretty nice components planned for this system. In some ways similar to my own EISA 486, though I have to admit I could never do better than that black cube chassis. The am5x86 running at 150MHz would make a pretty powerful upgrade.

Thanks *GRUNT* *GRUNT* :). Most of the components I already have (I finally got a SCD-15) but finding them in my boxes is a whole other issue! Luckily there is 12 slots for expansion, plenty of drive bays (for the time anyhow) and 400W of power...

O.K. Running into a couple of issues:

1. 8-32 Hex Cap Phillips Drive screws: anybody have a source for these? Note that these are like your std. computer screws but slightly thicker. I can find 6-32s but no 8-32s. I need 2 (preferably 4 or 5) as some are missing from the case.

2. The EISA setup disk is acting strangely. I've created a boot disk w/ the MCS ECU on it. However, when I run the boot disk it asks me to insert the System Configuration Disk. I've tried disks w/ just CFG files, blank disks, etc. with no luck. If I copy the files onto a HDD and run them there is no issues and the ECU runs just fine. Anybody w/ experience w/ ECUs have any ideas?

3. I temporarily bypassed issue 2 by using the AMI ECU. I can program the CMOS and the NVRAM. The system runs fine w/ no issues. However, when I add a new piece of HW the system refuses to boot from the floppy any more. It starts booting then stops after showing the message MS-DOS Starting. I don't have a HDD in there yet so don't know how that would behave. I've tried it both by adding HW and then trying to run the ECU and running the ECU, adding the HW in ECU, then shutting down and installing the HW. In either case the boot from floppy fails. Am I missing something here? BTW: The FDC (CompatiCard IV) is not in the EISA config as it is an ISA card.

Thanks!

How do you have the CC set up? Are you using the card's BIOS or do you have it disabled (using the motherboard BIOS). Try running it the latter way if you're not already.

1. See if there is a Harbor Freight around you somewhere, I can almost guarantee you they will have it.

Thanks. I'll check with them. It just happens that i recently found two very close to me!

Update: A quick look on the website doesn't look promissing. They have 8-32 machine screws but not w/ the hex cap and phillips drive. I'll try to pop in next week and see if they may have in store stock that is not on the site.

Last edited:
How do you have the CC set up? Are you using the card's BIOS or do you have it disabled (using the motherboard BIOS). Try running it the latter way if you're not already.

Thanx. I'll give it a try that way. However, I should mention that it behaves the same way w/ the original Everex FDC.

Not quite sure what you mean Chuck(G). Are you talking about the BIOS? If so I have not found a BIOS access. I.E. no press F1 or DEL to access the BIOS. I am not sure even if the system has one as everything is set via jumpers (e.g. COM ports) and there is no onboard FDC or HDD controller.

Isn't it pretty much true that any system made since the 5150 has a floppy driver as part of the BIOS? What I'm wondering is if the default is 1.2MB 5.25". This could result in a boot from a 1.44MB drive to foul up.

Just a theory.

Back