• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Experiences with the Catweasel

I have a couple of PCI catweasels. One is an MK3, the other an MK4. I last used the MK4 about a year or so ago and it worked great, using Tim Mann's cw2dmk utilities. The one thing you have to watch out for is that cw2dmk, at least at that time, is not 64-bit safe and generates invalid .DMKs when compiled on a 64-bit Linux. They can be rescued, though, and converted to JV3 or whatever.

Thx! Tim Mann's cw2dmk are ported to DOS because I do not have any linux installed. What formats can be re-written with Tim Mann's cw2dmk-tools?
Only images that were created with it? I do not own a TRS-80, but an Apple II an IIgs and XT's, Amiga's, Atari's, C64's.

I use a PCI CW (Mk 3?) quite routinely in my work. The host OS is DOS and it works quite well--but then of the code using it is my own. I have a Mk I ISA CW as well as a fall-back.

But the world is quite different today from even 5 years ago. It should be trivial to make a Kyroflux or CW-type sampler for under $10 from off-the-shelf parts.

It should be trivial to make a Kyroflux or CW-type sampler for under $10 from off-the-shelf parts.

Someone please do this! Make it USB compatible, and, write a utility to transfer from a Catweasel / dmk format to what works with the new card.

I Catweasel'ed all of my floppies about 10 years ago (only 450MB!) and keep my old Pentium III only for the purpose that it can run the Catweasel!

I'd happy recycle the old PC if a modern PC could control a universal floppy controller from USB....but, I'm too cheap to spend $150 on a Kryoflux. I guess that's the part that discourages product developers! :)

Back