• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Favorite DOS Games!

I think he meant Keen 4 and 5, which most certainly came in CGA flavors - and quite well-done, too!

from 3dRealms:

"Episodes 4-5 are collectively called "Goodbye Galaxy!" and are also published by Apogee Software. This series of Commander Keen was released somewhere around June of 1991. There was also a special CGA edition of Keens 4-5. The CGA version is functionally identical to the standard EGA version of the game, but with CGA graphics. Apogee discontinued the CGA version in November 1997."

The site also mentions a CGA version of Keen6, which I've not seen before but was included on the iD Anthology collection disc.

Wow, I never know of the existence of these CGA versions until now! Raven is right, we should definitely try to retrieve these versions for those of us that still have CGA systems to play with.

Retrieving is no problem as I have a full Apogee and Epic Megagames digital collection. Just bear in mind that these games are technically still sold as download-only titles, at least in their EGA form; I'm not sure if the CGA forms are still sold, at which point I personally would consider them fodder for abandonware and/or public preservation (though that still doesn't negate copyright, etc).

Wow, I never know of the existence of these CGA versions until now! Raven is right, we should definitely try to retrieve these versions for those of us that still have CGA systems to play with.

Hmm, not sure I would consider these very good CGA version games, they are in the default purple, blue, white black. The best CGA games used a pallet with real greens, yellows and other colors depending on the background scenery, Digger is a good example of decent CGA graphics.

Very true, but to my mind, the Keen CGA games are rather unique for the visual tricks that they managed to pull off with the CGA resolutions. I haven't played them in years, but I remember the CGA games playing exactly like the EGA games - just with the weird color scheme.

I legally own the Commander Keen series - all of it - including even Keen Dreams - so it's not quite so illegal to give me a copy (still a gray area, I believe). And if anyone else would like to own a legal copy, there's a pack on Steam for $5 including every title except Keen Dreams bundled with DOSBox. I actually have boxed copies of most of them, too.

I tried the CGA version of commander keen 4. It played pretty well. I wanted a version I could play on my HP-LX (which is CGA only.) The LX was plenty fast for it (it is a 80186, which is basically a 286 with no protected mode). The only trouble was the screen is too slow; the game 'played' fine, but the LCD was bluring way too much. (I still love the LX though; its a pocket-XT!)

Hi.

Here is my Retail games with Copy protected Disk (Key Disk)

007 Licence To Kill (1989 / Domark) / 5.25" 2D X 3EA (Disk 1 / Disk 2 / Disk 3)
Airborne Ranger (1988 / Microprose) / 5.25" 2D X 1EA (Disk 1)
Arkanoid (1988 / Taito) / 5.25" 2D X 1EA (Disk 1)
Arkanoid II Revenge Of DoH (1989 / Taito) / 5.25" 2D X 1EA (Disk 1)
F-15 Strike Eagle II (1989 / Microprose) / 5.25" 2D X 2EA (Disk 1)
F-19 Stealth Fighter (1988 / Microprose) / 5.25" 2D X 3EA (Disk 1)
Gauntlet (1988 / Mindscape) / 5.25" 2D X 1EA (Disk 1)
Guerrilla War (1988 / Data East) / 5.25" 2D X 2EA (Disk 1 / Booter)
Gunship (1988 / Microprose) / 5/25" 2D X 2EA (Disk 1)
Heavy Barrel (1989 / Data East) / 5.25" 2D X 2EA (Disk 1))
Horror Zombies From The Crypt (1991 / Millennium) / 5.25" 2D X 3EA (Disk 1)
Ikari Warriors (1988 / Data East) / 5.25" 2D X 1EA (Disk 1 / Booter)
Lemmings (1991 / Psygnosis) / 5.25" 2D X 3EA (Disk 1)
M1 Tank Platoon (1989 / Microprose) / 5.25" 2D X 3EA (Disk 1)
Operation Wolf (1989 / Taito) / 5.25" 2D X 2EA (Disk 1)
Platoon (1988 / Data East) / 5.25" 2D X 2EA (Disk 1)
Rambo III (1990 / Taito) / 5.25" 2D X 2EA (Disk 1)
Revenge Of Defender (1989 / EPYX) / 5.25" 2D X 3EA (Disk 1)
Robocop (1989 / Data East) / 5.25" 2D X 4EA (Disk 1 / Disk 4)
Renegade (1989 / Taito) / 5.25" 2D X 2EA (Disk 1)
Sky Shark (1989 / Taito) / 5.25" 2D X 2EA (Disk 1)
Stunt Track Racer (1989 / Microplay) / 5.25" 2D X 2EA (Disk 1)
Super Hang-On (1989 / Data East) / 5.25" 2D X 1EA (Disk 1)
Sword Of The Samurai (1989 / Microprose) / 5.25" 2D X 3EA (Disk 1)
Thexder (1987 / Game Arts) / 5.25" 2D X 2EA (Disk 1)
Victory Road (1988 / Data East) / 5.25" 2D X 1EA (Disk 1 / Booter)

My best game is F-19 Stealth Fighter (1) / F-15 Strike Eagle II (2)

My DOS games (bought "back in the day" or from cdaccess.com)
*Rayman Gold -- one of the best platformers in my opinion
*Heroes of Might and Magic compendium -- recently bought it with box/manuals. Awesomeness.
*Stonekeep
*Worlds of Billy/Drilling Billy/Antoshka (it's an oddity in DOS gaming but runs in 800x600)
*Warcraft 1
*Heretic
*Hexen
*Doom (used to have the "doom ultimate" collection, but it ended up in the garbage one day).
*Lands of Lore 1

erm... that's all I can think of currently. I am planning to buy some more later on. I only tried the demo for Hocus Pocus =(

heh.. forgot about Lands of Lore. I remember when it came out how revolutionary it seemed and had Patrick Stewart (Captain Picard...or"John luck pickerd" if you were Q) as the voice of the king which was interesting. It's difficult remembering some of those as dos games. On the bright side Doom Ultimate edition is probably found pretty easily at local thrift stores and auctions since so many of them were mass produced. Did sorta the same thing for Duke Nukem 3d.

heh.. forgot about Lands of Lore. I remember when it came out how revolutionary it seemed and had Patrick Stewart (Captain Picard...or"John luck pickerd" if you were Q) as the voice of the king which was interesting. It's difficult remembering some of those as dos games. On the bright side Doom Ultimate edition is probably found pretty easily at local thrift stores and auctions since so many of them were mass produced. Did sorta the same thing for Duke Nukem 3d.

It's funny because the back of the CD case has his picture and boasts about him doing the voice for King Richard. Friends of mine who never played it or know about old things like that always find it perplexing... "what, Patrick Stewart did voice work in this game?"

Oh yeah! What about Ultima? My cousin gave me his Ultima VI,V,VI trilogy on 5" floppy disks for safe keeping. There's so many disks in there.

first post ftw

first post ftw

i was actually searching for my ms dos version of warcraft one, found it at a thrift store for like 50 cents, whats aggravating me is it didnt have the manual, anyone know where i can dl or at least view a manual for the ms dos v1.06 (usa) version?

found this site while searching for the above rofl.
LOVE some of the old games, a lot of the modern ones are missing a certain soemthing that the old games have, i think itd be fairly awesome if someone would remake a few of these classics in a non bastardized fasion(as in update music/graphics, leave gameplay alone)
used to play this game, no idea what its called, first game ever besides frogger, but it was some sort of kids learning game, you ran around in this factory collecting parts for various forms of transportation/whatever for races, trying to make the most efficient, fastest thing you could, old school, floppy tastic, and i played it on windows 93:D
anyone know the game im referring to? id adore havinga copy simply for nostalgia purposes, between that, and the old NES, a lifestyle was formed heh

oh, and does anyone know where to find lemmings? looked EVERYWHERE for that game, cept maybe ebay:( nother old favorite

Most games can be found quite easily on eBay. I think I picked up my copy of Lemmings, like new/complete, for $5 shipped (though seeing it go that cheaply is somewhat rare).

Otherwise, there ARE places to go on the net to download games, though such things are, I believe, considered off-topic for this forum. Just Google around... :)

Some of these are cross platform, but I first played them on DOS, so that makes them DOS games for me:

Airborne Ranger -> I have the C64 version of this today. I'd love to get my hands on the DOS version. This is Metal Gear Solid before Metal Gear Solid. Stealth Action!

Ancient Art of War -> probably the first computer strategy game i played that was worth playing.

Civilization -> Spent many many many many many many hours playing this game.

dnd.exe -> a fantastic game. it's history is tangled up with the PLATO system and also with Telengard, but NOT, I don't believe, with Rogue

F-19 Stealth Fighter -> Stay low, stay low and they'll never see you coming. I played this (on the Amiga) last night, actually. Took out some SAM sites outside of Tripoli. :)
(Along with Civilization, I think F-19 might be Sid Meier's finest Microprose contribution.)

Rogue -> I don't think I need to say anything about this game. My iPod touch stays in my pockets during meetings these days because I'm playing Rogue on an HP LX200. :)

SSI D&D Games -> Enjoyed them all. Wasted MANY hours playing the on-line version "Neverwinter Nights" on AOL.

Times of Lore -> I think this game was a beta test of the UI that would eventually become Ultima VI. It's sort of Ultima light, anyway, though lots of fun.

My 7 all-time favorite games - period. Stuck in a time warp.

8086 version of Battlezone from 1981
Missle Command re-release from MS Entertainment Pack
8088 Leisure suit Larry in the land of the lounge lizards
80386 Links the challenge of golf
Pong
Cyrus EGA Chess - Freeware
Battle Chess
Roadwar 2000

Still have them all working LOL, the Links, Battle Chess and Cyrus are on a Zeos Pantera and all the others are on a IBM5155 XT except the Missle Command, that's on this laptop <g>

if you can't tell from my avatar, ultima 6 is my favorite. (i just realized my "avatar" here is THE avatar!) that game just hooked me as a kid when it came out. the way you could explore the world and there was so much interaction with objects and the NPCs, it was pretty amazing in 1990. every NPC had their own personality and even daily schedule. it was so detailed. i'm not even much of an RPG fan in general.

other favs are the dooms, wolf3d, leisure suit larry, descent, there are so many great old DOS games i can't really think of too many specifics.

Back