• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Favorite DOS Games!

you could explore the world and there was so much interaction with objects and the NPCs, it was pretty amazing in 1990. every NPC had their own personality and even daily schedule

That's exactly what amazed me at a young age when I came across the U6. I walked around talking to ever NPC that I could, asking their name, asking their job, and if they wanted to join me. I've probably rattled this off a few times but I ended up finding 2 additional people to join my party out of the 4 I already had. The most interesting one that ALMOST joined was a willowisp heh it said something about how it couldn't leave the forest though so it declined but woulda been pretty interesting.

Of course I did play and was a fan of all the SSI TSR series games so it was pretty cool to almost find what at the time seemed more like a virtual world to play in than a game. I guess I also felt that way with Usurper and Trade Wars (bbs games).. they had this cool virtual world feel to them where life doesn't revolve around the player.

OT: Hardwar (PII/graphic accelerator needed game from 1996 or so) is the last game that gave me and most of my friends that feeling. How interesting it is to go into a game that's actively playing itself and feel absolutely insignificant.

Colonization
Civilization
King's Quest series
Space Quest series
Quest for Glory series
Jones in the Fast Lane
Willy Beamish
Eco Quest series
Pirates! Gold
Lotus Turbo Challenge
Street Fighter series
Paratrooper
PCMAN
Oregon Trail
WarCraft series
Doom series
Wolfenstein 3D
Commander Keen
Warlords series

And so many more. I never really got into RPGs except for Quest for Glory. I prefer RTS and TBS games. I also never got into Monkey Island or other adventure games. I am a sucker for Sierra On-Line. :D

hmm..

TES: Daggerfall
Doom
Wolfenstein
Commander Keen
Ultima
Golden Box
Might and Magic
Civilization
All Apogee
Stunts
Rise of the Triads
Master of Magic
Hocus Pocus
Betrayal at Krondor

Doom
Phantasmagoria
Quake
Hexen
Heretic
Duke Nuke'm
Wolfenstein 3D makes me carsick :(
we played the demo of Cannon Fodder for months because it would fit on a 3.5" floppy and didn't need to be installed.
I still have a few hundred of the magazine demo CDs on a spindle somwhere. :)

Beast
Dune 2
Wolfenstein 3D
Doom 1 and 2
These games are the most exciting for me as well as others so enjoy these games.

Tower Defence Games

Last edited:
A-10 Tank Killer V1.5
Aces of the Deep
Aces Over Europe
Aces of the Pacific
Battlehawks 1942
Dune 2
F-15 Strike Eagle II
Jeopardy!
Megarace
Red Baron

space quest 3
oils well (still has in box minus the sleave)
flight sim not sure what version but it ran in dos to young to read at the time so my dad drew a plane on the floppy and i just memorized what keys i had to hit in what order.
mother goose's mixed up tales

I know it's an old post, but dang, I have fond memories of Ultima VI: The False Prophet, that was the first PC game I ever owned. I got it for my 11th Birthday in 94'! I remember sitting at my sisters desk that week, with the unfortunate (but somewhat fortunate) luck to have pinkeye so I got to spend a great deal of time over the next several days exploring Brittania and causing all sorts of havok going on a crime spree >:D. I was evil in that game until I got a little older and I guess "mature" enough to figure out how it is played. Unlike all the RPG's I was used to at the time (mostly NES stuff like Dragon Warrior), Ultima was so wide open It's hard to figure out what you are to do sometimes.

I have fond memories of that game, like the time I died about 15 or so times stealing items and killing townspeople, and it must have done something like thrown the Karma counter into negative digits because when I was revived, my character sprite stayed dead, but was mobile, and much less killable. Someday I will HAVE to reproduce this and post it on youtube....behold, a floating, sleeping, Avatar. I have all kinds of other stories like my old 486 with Paradise VGA getting Non-Maskable interrupts....yet somehow U6 would still come back in a trippy, scrambled VGA palette, or running U6 on a Tandy 1000 8088 with full sound and 16-color graphics after spending $49 in Rat Shacks outdated catalogs in 1997 for a 256K memory upgrade to have the full 640K needed to run the game, or finding all the cool utilties from Doug the Eagle's Website and making an island castle just a few northwest of Moonglow.

Outside of U6, my list is long

Monkey Island 1 & 2
Ultima 7 Part 1 & 2
Ultima 8 Pagan
Microsoft Flight Simulator 5
Car & Driver

Depthcharge - by Henry J. Kottler...used to be on BBSes back in the 80's, came out in 84'. Looks more like an ASCII character battle on the screen of WP51!

Wolfenstein 3D
Duke Nukem 3-D
Maniac Mansion 1&2
Tank Wars
Sharedata Game Show Games (Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, Family Feud...etc)
X-Wing & Tie Fighter

For a few years, I collected mainly Sega stuff. Had a small room filled up with consoles, accessoires and games. Sold a bit, but the remaining is still quite a heap.
Since about a halfyear now, I'm buying old PC games. Mainly games from the nineties. And now I completely lost tracks and digged up my old Atari ST and a Toshiba T1200 laptop ( which is, alas, not working anymore :( ).
My favorites are:

- Return to Castle Wolfenstein
- Unreal Tournament 99
- Outlaws
- Red Alert
- Larry 6
- Warcraft II
- UFO: Enemy unknown
- Monkey Island 2
- Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
- Day of the Tentacle

@dustar, you do know what DOS is, right? Just saying, the first half of your list aren't for DOS. (good games though)

Last edited:
King's Quest, Space Quest, Thexder, Doom 1 & 2, Wolfenstein 3D, Warcraft I, Dune 2, Duke Nukem 3D

[...]
Jill of the Jungle[...]
Castle Adventure (don't kiss the vampire)
I never actually played Jill of the Jungle and sequels until I got a P1 with Win98, but I loved that game.
I remember playing Castle Adventure. I never tried kissing the vampire. Now I'll have to :p

I didn't get to play many ancient (to me) games because the computer I got was second-hand and 10 years old. But the favorites I remember were:
- Castle Adventure (which I know as "Castle" after the executable. No manual or other.)
- "Apple" (a character graphics, side-scrolling, plane shooter game. You had to shoot down planes from M$FT and bomb their factories. This must not be the real name as I've never found a reference to it online.)
- "Wizard", a BASIC text adventure which I've never managed to win (yeah, it's not DOS, I know).

Yesterday stumbled across Push Over and Stratego in boxes in the shed. They certainly brought back some fond memories of my 286.

haha, nice to see Castle Adventure mentioned! Was my introduction to text-mode dungeon crawlers, even though it was real-time.

a question: was there ever a version of this game that fixed the nasty bug with saving and loading?

Back