• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Favourite keyboard

good insight!

it also makes sense conerning the model 100, as it differs in layout for certain symbols (like the quote) from the model IV and the like. it resembles like you say, a typewriter, and as i recall, the trs80 model 100 was a hit with journalists

i must admit that i prefer ascii keyboard layouts though :wink:

vic user said:
what does 'ymmv' stand for?

this one has got me

Your Mileage May Vary. It's a standard disclaimer that says this is my experience, but you may have different results.

Tom

hrm...vicious fight between:

1) Apple Pro Keyboard (M7803) - the one that came with post-Quicksilver PowerMacs, iMac G4s, and eMacs. i like the way it feels, nice keytravel and FLAT KEYTOPS. the 'ergonomic' keytops on PC keyboards make me type like a drunken horse.

2) Tandy M100 - Two things:
• Black
• CLACKETY

Using the same IBM model M for about ten years now. It survived 4 systems uptill now.

Re: Favourite keyboard

vic user said:
Perhaps a topic which seems lame, but it has been something I have often thought about..

I have played around with a ton of different computers and many different keyboards, and some keyboards have just felt good to use. Not just the feel, but the look, and sound of the clicking. The way the keys would respond etc... I have often wished to take one keyboard I liked and interface it with whatever computer I wanted to use.

I have changed many keyboards on many computers just to get the right combination.

I would say my three favourite keyaboards are:

1) The Macintosh MO116C
I know keyboard preference is a personal thing, but I just like the feel of this keyboard. Compact and nice 'clicking' sound :) I have it connected to my Mac SE30, where still I do most of my e-mailing from.

2) My Apple II clone keyboard.
I don't know the manufacturer, but oh what a nice keyboard. Was my first big computer, so maybe a bit of prejudice. Used on many Scott Adams adventure games!

3) Commodore 64C offwhite keyboard.
Easy to read the special characters off the side of the keys, and looks wicked inside a vic 20 box!

So, what do you like?

Chris

I like the IBM 'clicky' type keyboards for normal computer usage. As for classic computers I think that the Atari 800 had an excellent keyboard, especially when compared to the 400. :wink:

A favorite keyboard

A favorite keyboard

Perhaps not the best for serious work, but a favorite keyboard for me has always been the Tandy TRS 80 CoCo Model I. I like the way it feels and I can use it without looking at my fingers. I was surprised that the Commodore C116 wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Keyboards

Keyboards

I've been looking for a keyboard for my desktop that has one of those little thumb-stick deals present on many laptops. The reason is that I'm experiencing pretty bad pain in my wrist from too much mouse-use, but I don't like alternatives that involve too much movement away from the keyboard.

I haven't had much luck finding one.

ergonomic keyboard

ergonomic keyboard

yes I know how you feel. I was going to state that my real favorite keyboard is my curved ergonomic new keyboard...but I thought that was not a vintage answer :) ...

Re: Keyboards

Re: Keyboards

mbarton said:
I've been looking for a keyboard for my desktop that has one of those little thumb-stick deals present on many laptops. The reason is that I'm experiencing pretty bad pain in my wrist from too much mouse-use, but I don't like alternatives that involve too much movement away from the keyboard.

I haven't had much luck finding one.

They're not cheap, but you can find them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33965&item=6732733155&rd=1

(This is not my auction, just an example I found on eBay)

Tachyon

IBM Trackpoint model M

IBM Trackpoint model M

I have to agree with Anonymous Coward, the IBM Trackpoint model M is probably the best keyboard I've found. I have 4 of them, 3 home and one at work. The integrated pointing device is great. no extra need for a mouse on the desk. (I tend to have a very cluttered desk) If you did want a mouse, there is an extra ps2 port on the keyboard itself to add an external mouse. All the benifits of the model M with a pointing device. Can't say enough about this keyboard....
Search ebay with 'ibm trackpoint" as the search term, then go to input devices catagory to weed out the laptops. There are almost always some up.
As an aside, my wife (she has one for home and one for work) has had several operations on her wrists and says these beat out any standard 'ergonomic' keyboards she's tried, and she's tried plenty.

Marc

My Favorite keyboard has to be the Northgate Computer Systems Omni-Key 102, it's like the best of an XT 83 key and an IBM PS/2 Model "M" rolled into one with slightly lighter key tension and a very soft clicking sound to it. I prefer my Function keys on the sides. I use one of these on my main system.

I've had 2 IBM Model "M" keyboards, one is the beat up old relic from my old IBM PC-330 made by Lexmark, which was missing 10 keycaps, had dirt all over it in every nook and cranny to the point of grossness, the IBM logo had broken off, and it had been peed on by the cat more than a few times, and it was still working when I gave it up for free. I recently got one of the earlier "Space Saver" keyboards to replace it, and I like that ever better due to it's small size.

I have a Z-tek 108 (only 101 keys though) which is similar in feel to my Omni-Key, it's my backup keyboard.

And of course, I LOVE the original 83 key XT keyboard, I have that one hooked up to my XT clone right now, probably only second to my Omni-Key that I'm typing what you are reading on.

(off topic) Hey Mad Mike - Compaq Deskpro 386 question

(off topic) Hey Mad Mike - Compaq Deskpro 386 question

Mad Mike - I noticed that you have Compaq Deskpro listed with your signature for posts......Do you by chance have a spare 5 1/4" internal diskdrive for a Compaq Deskpro 386? My drive is on the fritz and I am trying to restore the computer to original specs. Otherwise the computer is in fine shape (internal 3.5 and harddrive OK, battery OK). I always liked this era Compaq, I used to have one in my office in the earlier 90's. Write me at billdeg at aol dot come

Northgate keyboards

Northgate keyboards

Glad to see some more Northgate keyboard fans; I have two (an Omnikey Ultra and an Omnikey 101) that I wouldn't trade for the world.

i gotta say my fav was a cheap ass $10 AT KB called "eagle touch" made by
ortek. It had the best feel and i used it untill the keys started to break off.

for my current keyboards i really love my logitech wireless it has a great
feel and very good range aprox 15feet.

Other keyboards i like is a hewlett packard branded (asus) ps/2
and an old fujitsu AT that has the stat lights on the keys feels good but
kinda big.

another keyboard i thought was "fun" to use but felt like crap was
the ones that came with the mac plus.

Back