• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

FYI: Computer Reset liquidation (Dallas, TX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Facebook was the quickest, cleanest, and easiest way to organize, coordinate, and moderate people from cctalk, vcfed, facebook, usenet, ddial, and wherever all else we are hiding in the four corners of the earth. Don't shoot the messenger.

Facebook was the quickest, cleanest, and easiest way to organize, coordinate, and moderate people from cctalk, vcfed, facebook, usenet, ddial, and wherever all else we are hiding in the four corners of the earth. Don't shoot the messenger.

Facebook is the sewer of the internet, I'm not sure how any of the aforementioned things apply to it; Especially telling other groups they need to sign their life away to facebook just to view a bouillabaisse of relevant stuff mixed with loads of nonsense and ads that have no relevance whatsoever.

The quickest, cleanest and easiest way to organize stuff would be a forum post somewhere linked to a google docs sheet of items and pictures, not an endlessly scrolling feed of nonsense.

Honestly, get over it. I don't care about Facebook either, but that's where it's posted. If you don't want to use Facebook then ask someone who has it to get the information for you.

It's not just Facebook, most sites force registration of some type. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to download a file or view an image on a forum (I believe that includes this one) and I've had to register for an account. Don't kill the messenger, it was asked where the info was posted and trixter responded.. Theres no reason to whine about the venue just because it's not where you want it posted. It's not access to life saving water, it's just a going out of business sale. :)

Right, because EVERYONE has a facefook account.

Anyway, I was just googling around and found this thread from a week or so ago with a bunch of pictures:
https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?t=22030 (don't know if it was already mentioned here somewhere).

Uh, keyboard folks.

Someone posted their experience with one of the keyboard people. A person was pulling all the keyboards they could find. There were a couple of TIPC keyboards that one guy needed as they are hard to find and proprietary to the TIPC. The guy taking all the keyboards said he was going to pull the switches and get rid of the rest. The guy that needed TIPC keyboards tried to get him to sell him the keyboards he needed to get his TIPCs running but the keyboard guy refused.

Someone posted their experience with one of the keyboard people. A person was pulling all the keyboards they could find. There were a couple of TIPC keyboards that one guy needed as they are hard to find and proprietary to the TIPC. The guy taking all the keyboards said he was going to pull the switches and get rid of the rest. The guy that needed TIPC keyboards tried to get him to sell him the keyboards he needed to get his TIPCs running but the keyboard guy refused.

Yep, that's me. I would appreciate it if you avoid giving the guy your business, as he was a jerk to everyone else who wanted keyboards. Also left a giant mess wherever he went, pulling things of shelves, leaving things on the floor.

Also, if anyone else lives in north Texas and wishes to be in the loop about CR, there's a DFW Retro Computing discord server. PM me if you wish to have the join link.

The quickest, cleanest and easiest way to organize stuff would be a forum post somewhere linked to a google docs sheet of items and pictures, not an endlessly scrolling feed of nonsense.

It's not an endless scrolling feed of nonsense when you're in the group: The only "feed" is the group itself, and it's 100% relevant. I'm thinking you've never used facebook before. Also, you can't have threaded discussions over a google docs sheet.

I truly am the messenger, I didn't create the group and I'm not involved with the rescue effort.

Yep, that's me. I would appreciate it if you avoid giving the guy your business, as he was a jerk to everyone else who wanted keyboards. Also left a giant mess wherever he went, pulling things of shelves, leaving things on the floor.

It's stories like that that make me kind of relieved that I'm too far away to visit this circus. I've been to a couple things like this before, and it only takes one hardcore picker like that to ruin the whole thing for everyone who's there because they might want something for what it is, not the dollar signs floating over it.

I never realized there was anything special about the TIPC keyboard's keyswitches. If these keyboarders have so much money to throw around then some manufacturer should just make new switches and take their money. (Right, the any manufacturer would get their legs broken by the cell phone everything-must-be a-touch-screen dealers)

Fortunately, most of the machines I am interested in shipped with those awful capacitive keyboards. :p

Anyway, if some facebook user would be kind enough to simply copy and paste any pertainet information here for the rest of the world to see, it would be appreciated. At least, the last time I checked our Zuckerberg overlord has not purchased laws making that illegal yet.

Alright, I requested to join. It already has 482 members, but perhaps I can relay something. I also loathe facebook, but it's useful for something so I let them have my name.

The keyboard situation sounds enraging. People who want to take one critical piece out of computers and use them for a completely different purpose think so differently from me that it's hard to understand them. That plus the thought that it's just a cash grab from an ill man is irritating. It's an expected outcome though - if we want to prevent it, there's no way besides to take the mechanical keyboards first.

Alright, I requested to join. It already has 482 members, but perhaps I can relay something. I also loathe facebook, but it's useful for something so I let them have my name.

The keyboard situation sounds enraging. People who want to take one critical piece out of computers and use them for a completely different purpose think so differently from me that it's hard to understand them. That plus the thought that it's just a cash grab from an ill man is irritating. It's an expected outcome though - if we want to prevent it, there's no way besides to take the mechanical keyboards first.

Yeah, I have facebook but I didn't request to join because I'm not in texas and I don't really buy PC equipment so I can't really be bothered to monitor that thread, so glad someone did for the others here who are.

I also get annoyed by the keyboard folks, but honestly, it seems like a lot of this field is a cash grab. If it's not the keyboard folks, it's folks buying up local retro systems only to resell them on ebay. I'm not saying theres anything wrong with that, but i sometimes feel like that skit in the 'pirates of silicon valley' movie where Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are yelling at each other about who took the tech from Xerox first... in this case, it's the keyboard folks and the retro resellers getting mad at each other and neither really helps the legit guy who just wants to get into the hobby inexpensively or flesh out their collection.

I also get annoyed by the keyboard folks, but honestly, it seems like a lot of this field is a cash grab. If it's not the keyboard folks, it's folks buying up local retro systems only to resell them on ebay. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but i sometimes feel like that skit in the 'pirates of silicon valley' movie where Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are yelling at each other about who took the tech from Xerox first... in this case, it's the keyboard folks and the retro resellers getting mad at each other and neither really helps the legit guy who just wants to get into the hobby inexpensively or flesh out their collection.

I try to temper my feelings by remembering that. That there's plenty of people on the other side just flipping whole systems rather than keyboards. Still, that leaves the other issue - that the resellers; while they're happy to fleece unknowledgeable sellers and then artificially inflate the market, making it difficult for younger people to get into it; are less likely to straight up destroy the rest of the system or make it useless.

I think the overall feeling is: It's better to have the systems rescued by any means necessary, rather than end up in the crusher. Before this effort was organized, it was ALL going to the crusher. While the keyboard kidz and resellers/flippers irritate me to no end, if they rescued something that was missed, then at least it was rescued...

if they rescued something that was missed, then at least it was rescued...

Of course, that's the problem with the keyboard kidz, their stated goal is to desolder all the keyswitches and scrap the rest. From a collecting/hobby standpoint it's just as destroyed as if a goldbug dissolved it in his garage.

Of course, that's the problem with the keyboard kidz, their stated goal is to desolder all the keyswitches and scrap the rest. From a collecting/hobby standpoint it's just as destroyed as if a goldbug dissolved it in his garage.

What gave you this impression? (That they just desolder the switches.)

Every keyboard collector I've seen generally takes a retro keyboard as it is or puts an adapter on it to use it as a USB keyboard.

What gave you this impression? (That they just desolder the switches.)

Did you read this link mentioned above?

https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?t=22030

Go down to the comments. The guy's threads have comments like this:

Already desoldered and sent off to E3E and gainsborough!

re: switches from a non-PC-compatible source keyboard. Dig around the forums and you'll see plenty more, like when they murdered a pile of IBM Convertibles for their Alps switches...

Also the one encountered at Computer Reset apparently straight-up told the person that wanted a keyboard for his TI Professional that's what he was going to do with them, there's that too. Maybe he's atypical of "Keyboard Kidz" in general but just reading a few threads there seems adequate evidence to suggest there exists a significant subculture dedicated to keyswitch gutting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back