• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

games, games, games...

Chris2005

Banned
who's into games? I know nothing about games. Puter games that is. I think I have some Battletech thing (older), or actually I think it's called MechWarriors, a few others I got when they started putting them in jewel case and selling them for five bucks.
So who can recommend a good game? I lean toward sci-fi stuph (but not like friggin Doom or anything that morbid), or this title that caught my eye Civilization (maybe CIII?). I know many would be laughing but I just haven't gotten into games in the last decade or so. I used to love Starflight, and Ancient Art of War/War at Sea. Anyone remember 2400 AD or whatever it was called? It was lousy, but I wouldn't mind seeing that title again.
I like fun things, blow up a few space ships here and there, but something that requires strategy.
A few years ago there was something called Homeworld. A friend told me it was ok, but buggy. That City of Heros thing looked alright, but that's like an online thing. Do you have to have broadband?

I'm a huge fan of PC games. I have a large collection of boxes from the Golden Age of PC Gaming.

I took some pictures but the battery in my camera died before saving them. I'll try again tonight.

Homeworld was a fantastic milestone in RTS gameplay and graphics.

I was never really into video/computer games. In 1999 my parents finally sucummbed and purchased a PSone as a sort of joint christmas present for me and my two brothers, and again 3 years ago for a PS2. They never really appealed to me, and the only game I really enjoyed and playd obsessively was Metal Gear Solid.

PC wise my favourite was Oblivion. Alas, the only computer anywhere near the specs required for that game went bye-bye in June. Fortunately I had spent over 60 hours on it and was slowly degenerating into a recluse, so perhaps it was for the best. Mind you, it shall return come Christmas time, when I get my parents to get that PC repaired as a Christmas Prezzie!
Also, the first command and conquer was good. And Magic Carpet 2, both over 10 years old now. I did play command and conquer red alert 2, but that was just plain silly. Some evil russian communist dictator with a wierd tatoo between his eyes, a shaven head, some wierd flashy headpiece thing that served no purpose, and a telephone that could control people. Near impossible to get involved in a game that already alienates its story to all players over 6

I don't seem to enjoy classics such as Pac Man, Invaders, Galaga and the like as much as others folks, especially older people. Perhaps that is because I have been brought up on a wimpy three dimensions as opposed to the time when men were men and we had 2 dimensions ever morning for breakfast, and LIKED IT! Nostalgia is the biggest factor here, methinks, and as I have none of that particular era, I can't sail through a game I played 20+ years ago dispite its cultural connotations, because I see it in comparison to todays standards.

I played Doom on a GBA once, I cant understand how people can play on that, its gross! Quake wasn't much fun either, with these wierd crab thing that laid eggs on your face, or something like that. Its all the same :)

You could say I'm into games, close to 30 years now. While I collect everything videogames and computers, I find that beyond hacking, hobby programming and specialized peripherals and add-ons, classic computers most interest me for gaming. While it's nice to have a classic word processor or spreadsheet, it's merely good to have as part of the collection, not for actual usage (modern computers do that much better). That's where the games come in. They're timeless.

I've found over the past several years, since about 1999/2000, in regards to modern stuff, I've been much more into consoles than PC gaming. I buy the majority of my new games for consoles and handhelds and just pick and choose my PC games carefully, like Civilization IV and Half-Life 2. Prior to that time period I used to make a point of keeping my PC rig updated every six months. Now I run a very good computer into the ground for 3 - 4 years before getting a new one. Priorities change and frankly the types of games I like to play on a PC with a monitor tend not to require the latest horsepower. All the other game types are just fine on console.

As for your online gaming question, there is little you can play properly with dial-up, so if you don't have broadband, I would stick to casual Web games. Same things for console gaming.

Unfortunately, the games I like require about 3 hours a day for 20 days to finish. Now that I'm the "primary care-giver" for my mother, I just don't have that kind of time to spend on games anymore. Whoknows when I'll even unwrap "Myst III". It's still sitting there, not even opened yet after a few months of buying it.

I used to play EverQuest. 3 hours a day was probably the shortest I ever spent during the years I was hooked into that world. Some days went over 20.

I stopped playing when my son was born and haven't looked back. Now I can't imagine where I ever found the time.

You gave up gaming when your son was born?? Damn it, my gaming time went away when I got my current job! And I'm far from getting married or having a child... Well, a lot further than I was a week ago...

You gave up gaming when your son was born?? Damn it, my gaming time went away when I got my current job! And I'm far from getting married or having a child... Well, a lot further than I was a week ago...

I was able to continue playing while employed. I spent days at work, evenings online and had limited sleep.

Interesting times.

someone once told me that xbox games could run on a peecee. Is this so? Also, the Xbox is more or less a pc clone. Is there a motherboard that corresponds to it's design, as in uses all the same chips? I hate to buy anything I can't fix, and I'm in the market for one (preferably broke LOL).

I dunno about Xbox, but I have played and completed several playstation one games using an original disk and an emulator

I LOVE point & click adventure games. Here's a list of the best ones I've played:

-Sam & Max
-Beneath a Steel Sky
-The Longest Journey
-Syberia
-Syberia II
-The Black Mirror

I LOVE point & click adventure games.

I, too, liked Sam and Max. My favorites, however, include the somewhat earlier "type in the text" games from Sierra, especially the King's Quest and Leisure Suit Larry games.

Like the first person shooters, too. Castle Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake, etc.

Favorite space battle type game is Wing Commander: Privateer. The sound of weapon fire hitting the ship's armor can still raise goosebumps. :)

Kent

someone once told me that xbox games could run on a peecee. Is this so? Also, the Xbox is more or less a pc clone. Is there a motherboard that corresponds to it's design, as in uses all the same chips? I hate to buy anything I can't fix, and I'm in the market for one (preferably broke LOL).

That's incorrect. While the Xbox uses perhaps a higher ratio of PC-like parts than either the PS2 or GameCube, it's no more compatible with any possible PC configuration you could come up with. It will take several more generations of PC hardware before a reliable software emulator will be possible.

On the bright side, perfectly functional refurb and used Xbox systems are available for under $100. I personally don't condone modding of a console for any purposes, but like all consoles, the Xbox is readily hackable with the right technical skills. They can also be user serviced using those same skills, for instance replacing a defective optical drive. There's really nothing else to worry about breaking, save for the hard drive, though I have yet to hear any reports of that.

I, too, liked Sam and Max. My favorites, however, include the somewhat earlier "type in the text" games from Sierra, especially the King's Quest and Leisure Suit Larry games.

Like the first person shooters, too. Castle Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake, etc.

Favorite space battle type game is Wing Commander: Privateer. The sound of weapon fire hitting the ship's armor can still raise goosebumps. :)

Kent

Not to get technical, but "Castle Wolfenstein" was the Apple II, Atari 8-bit and C-64 computer game with an entirely different perspective from the future iD game. "Wolfenstein 3D" was the FPS inspired by the two games (the other being "Beyond Castle Wolfenstein", both by the late Silas Warner and Muse Software, both classics that featured speech).

By the way, the basic plot of "Castle Wolfenstein" was "escape the castle prison", while "Beyond Castle Wolfenstein" was the more ambitious "sneak back in and plant a bomb at Hitler's meeting table, then get out again", the latter no doubt inspired by the real (but obviously failed) assassination plot).

At the launch of the Xbox (not to be confused with the current 360), it was said to consist of a custom modified 733 MHz Pentium III processor with an equally improved GeForce 3 (IIRC) class graphics set. I agree that software emulation will take long, about as long as it takes if you would want to make a software emulation of a 600-700 MHz Pentium III. Perhaps a fair deal can be emulated 1:1, I don't know how modified the CPU is.

That said, I wonder if there was not Xboxen modified to run Microsoft Windows or some other operating system, i.e. converting the video game into a computer?

"That's incorrect. While the Xbox uses perhaps a higher ratio of PC-like parts than either the PS2 or GameCube, it's no more compatible with any possible PC configuration you could come up with. It will take several more generations of PC hardware before a reliable software emulator will be possible."

So you're saying that the ic's present on it's motherboard won't be found anywhere else? I was kind of lead to believe there was at least one mobo out there to which it was real close. I read something to this effect while reading "Hacking the Xbox". If you're actually that acquainted with the system, I'm curious to know what's on it's mobo that can't be found otherwise.
And I wasn't referring to any kind of emulation. I just like to have the ability to fix something, and being that parts from it's era are likely to be found dirt cheap (that is if all of them can be found).

Back