• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Gaming on a massive CRT monitor

Alabamarebel1861

Experienced Member
So since around 2014 I have been on only CRT monitors and TVs after discovering that flatpanel screens were the cause of my headaches while gaming. Recently I got a computer modern enough to run (some) modern games. With this I decided to go big or go home and paired it up with a 19" Korea Data Systems eXtreme Flat. This has let to an amazing gaming experience. Rather it's running at 2048x1536 and enjoying the sheer definition in the screen or playing some FPS's at 800x600 @185Hz this has been an amazing experience. I seriosly never want to go back to flimsy flatscreens again

Try a DLT projector on call of duty with life size graphics.

In a dark room with a white wall, its quite something.

Top-of-the-line Trinitrons; I don't think so. CRTs look flickery to me even at 70Hz refresh.
"even at"? 70 Hz was very low and what you got with standard VGA. Flicker-free wasn't achieved until at least 85 Hz.

Now you understand how long ago I switched to LCD. 1200x1600 at 85 Hz wasn't a reality for quite some time. My first big LCD monitor was a NEC 21" circa 2000. Very expensive. It's really hard to beat the sharpness of an LCD running at native resolution.

Before that, it was fixed-frequency workstation monitors. Consumer monitors were garbage for a long time.

Hm I have no issue with 60Hz on a sharp CRT. Now interlaced content on the other hand drives me crazy

Now you understand how long ago I switched to LCD. 1200x1600 at 85 Hz wasn't a reality for quite some time. My first big LCD monitor was a NEC 21" circa 2000. Very expensive. It's really hard to beat the sharpness of an LCD running at native resolution.

Before that, it was fixed-frequency workstation monitors. Consumer monitors were garbage for a long time.

The sharp and pixalated nature of LCDs is exactly what makes them look terrible to me. I like things to look fluent and smooth. Plus of coarse CRT color accuracy is beast. And +85Hz gaming is amazing as well

I'll second the idea that LCD color resolution isn't as fine as that of glass jugs, but all in all, I find LCDs easier on the eyes.

Fair enough. LCDs to me only serve the purpose of conserving space. If I don't need the extra desk space than it's worth the CRT.

The sharp and pixalated nature of LCDs is exactly what makes them look terrible to me. I like things to look fluent and smooth. Plus of coarse CRT color accuracy is beast. And +85Hz gaming is amazing as well

I have a gaming setup which uses a 27" Asus ROG Strix 4K monitor, which is ancient by today's standards (2015), that's teamed with a Nvidia RTX 2070 (2020) video card. There are no prominent 'sharp' outlines or 'pixelization' as you mentioned in this setup. When you are playing a high end game it's like watching a movie - very smooth and very colorful. If you get a chance, visit a computer store and take a look at some of the new technology. BTW, my old SX has a 640x480 VGA tied to an old Dell 15" LCD that is way better than the original Tandy CGA which could make you rub your eyes after a hour or so.

I probably have that exact same monitor, KDS 19" flat, virtually unused since bought new in 02 I think. I imagine it can do 85hz ...

One thing it can do that a much more recent Asus 21.5" flat panel can't is display the Debian 5 login screen. Could it be I was using that when I did the install? Can't remember. And not sure that would make the difference.

The KDS image quality isn't great, probably good enough for vintage gaming at least. But it's a lot better then the 21" Radius crt I picked up this past March. Had to drive up a mountain to get it. It wasn't fun.

I probably have that exact same monitor, KDS 19" flat, virtually unused since bought new in 02 I think. I imagine it can do 85hz ...

One thing it can do that a much more recent Asus 21.5" flat panel can't is display the Debian 5 login screen. Could it be I was using that when I did the install? Can't remember. And not sure that would make the difference.

The KDS image quality isn't great, probably good enough for vintage gaming at least. But it's a lot better then the 21" Radius crt I picked up this past March. Had to drive up a mountain to get it. It wasn't fun.

My KDS doesn't look like anything serious but it does do a great job of providing an amazing picture.

With what hardware were you using ff monitors?

Consumer monitors that large typically were trinitrons. Many were ff and used with Macs. One exception that comes to mind is the original NEC multisyncs which were available in 19". Honestly I never used one, I've seen them in operation briefly. If they were anything like their smaller siblings ( and smaller crts are always sharper then larger ones) they couldn't have been that bad. What I wouldn't do for a 19" NEC multiscanner.

PC stuff, with custom-modified video cards. There used to be an outfit that specialized in this. On the EGA, I made a sync combiner for the Daisy/Mitsubishi monitor for RGB+S and kept the thing at the same H+V frequencies. Worked pretty well.

Sun monitors were popular, but I liked the HP workstation Trinitrons for VGA.

My first color monitor (CGA was too primitive for my eyes) was a 12" Sony Multiscan, with all the clicky relays, driven by an Everex EGA card. It could reach 800x600. I hung onto a 12" Mitsubishi Diamondscan with all of the various input options and cables.

Probably Chinese are still making CRT TVs, so technically is it possible to buy new CRT in different size. But I don't known if the quality is better or worse than used "high-end" models of well known brands...

Back