• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Gaming on a massive CRT monitor

We used Barco industrial long persistence monitors at work (ten per control desk).
Very easy on the eyes with no flicker at all, even at the low refresh rates of the Sigma display drivers.

Would be crap for gaming though as the persistence would show a lot of smearing.

The replacement LCD's aren't really quite as good in many ways, but we fortunately don't look at them all the time.

Honestly LCDs once they got fast enough so games would not smear and blacks were better then light grey are the best thing in the world. I used to get eye strain from CRT's after a few hours and anything under 85hz kind of sucked (I ran 1280x1024 at 85hz instead of 1600x1200 @70 on my old Sony 19"). I still like and use old CRT screens for systems that do CGA/VGA and ST/Amiga monitors.

Please explain.

I have a 21" CRT that can do 800x600@200Hz, it's nothing really unique. It took LCDs over a decade to be able to do more than 60 Hz because manufacturers thought the persistence of CCFL backlight was "good enough" for pleb consumers.

12" Sony? Not sure they made 12s. My original NEC M2 AND current M1 are both 13".

12" or 13"--it was the CDP1302--and there was a CDP1201.

If you really want "massive" and want fast response, try plasma.

Personally, I'm still waiting for affordable large-screen OLED monitors.

Back