• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Getting back into older PC's with my first 486 Build in almost 30 years

Well F#$n great! No I cant because the seller is one of those A-holes who marks it shipped immediately. I sent a couple messages. Who knows

I have a 3Com Card that only has AUI and BNC. Do these cards require a transceiver or will a simple adapter work? The transceivers are listed on eBay for more then most NICs which is odd.
You need a transceiver. There is no such thing as a passive adapter to go between AUI/coax/UTP

I have a 3Com Card that only has AUI and BNC. Do these cards require a transceiver or will a simple adapter work? The transceivers are listed on eBay for more then most NICs which is odd.
I think you need to take this somewhere else as this thread is focused on my 486 build.

I think you need to take this somewhere else as this thread is focused on my 486 build.
No offense but since you answered in this thread I thought I would be able to ask what you found. But no worries didn't mean to derail your thread.

You need a transceiver. There is no such thing as a passive adapter to go between AUI/coax/UTP
Thank you and that is what I thought. But the discussion above talked about passive adapters from RJ45 to the AUI port and I didn't think that was possible. Thanks for answering it.

Last edited:
What did I ask exactly? And Found? I didnt find anything I have been networking for 30 years so I know all about the various network connections. I mentioned you needed a tranceiver if you have AUI. I answered your question. I know it works as It is and was common practice in the early days of windows networking..... The good ole days.

I cant help you with the price. I used to have a couple but havent seen them in years, most likely gone. The last board I had to use one was the ORIGINAL 3Com etherlink II, blueboard with NEON bulb. But I sold that so I dont even own anything that needs a transceiver as far as I can tell.

eBay isnt your only option. Start a thread and see if someone on this board has one they dont need to sell you.

Sorry I meant to quote the other quote in this thread asking about the pinout. I don't really need a transceiver it was just for education as I didn't remember people building their own adapters back then. And the comment on the eBay pricing was just a comment because these things were so common that I would think there is a million of them. My 486 build uses a PCI card because it is a bit newer then your build component wise. I don't own any 486 ISA only motherboards so that makes it fun.

And yes these were fun times building PCs in the 286-pentium era. I had so many similar towers over the years and of course wish I would have kept some of them. Yours looks like it was a fun project.

The first computer I ever built and sold to a kid down the street was a 486 25mhz. My sister told me that kid was so enamored by that machine he went on to work in IT. Man that machine was nonsense. I needed some quick money. It was really nothing special. And the funny thing of it was monitor I gave him had the worst dot pitch I can recall in memory. .34 or worse. It was so fuzzy. But its what I had for spare parts. I didnt make much money. Maybe $150 but hey he loved it.

The first computer I ever built and sold to a kid down the street was a 486 25mhz. My sister told me that kid was so enamored by that machine he went on to work in IT. Man that machine was nonsense. I needed some quick money. It was really nothing special. And the funny thing of it was monitor I gave him had the worst dot pitch I can recall in memory. .34 or worse. IT was so fuzzy. But its what I had for spare parts. I didnt make much money. Maybe $150 but hey he loved it.
And let's be honest ... if he loved it then it was a good deal for him!

Oh yeah. I wasnt taking advantage of him. He was a poor kid from a single mom. This was his first computer so no matter what it was all aces for him....

You know I still remember the cpu. It was a surface mount design. The same SX package you saw soldered on to cheap 486 boards.. but it was on a standard pin cpu package.. Im sure they were common, but it was the only one like that I ever owned. 48625.png

It's highly likely that your board will choke on these. I would cancel the order if you can

if you look closely at the picture, one of the digits of the Siemens DRAM part number has been photoshopped out
the one saying if it's EDO or FPM. The other thing to be careful of with EDO is if the parts are 3.3 or 5v and what
the size of the refresh is.

So the new eBay ide controller card came in. Anyone know what model and where I can find the jumper settings for it?
IMG_20240209_105620.jpg

So,do you think I can use this ide multi io card and put an xtide universal bios eprom on my etherlnk ii network card? I thought this would work and give me somw much needed functionality.

Yeah that will work fine. Just make sure to appropriately configure the XUB ROM using the included utility before burning it. The releases don't come checksummed either... :cautious:

As a side note be sure to enable interrupts if you intend to share the IDE interface with a CDROM

Yeah that will work fine. Just make sure to appropriately configure the XUB ROM using the included utility before burning it. The releases don't come checksummed either... :cautious:

As a side note be sure to enable interrupts if you intend to share the IDE interface with a CDROM
Yea i was reading about the checksums. Guess ill have to play with the config utility.

Enable interupts on the ide card you mean?

Back