• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Getting the modem in my Compaq lte to work

Micom 2000

Veteran Member
I have an Apex modem in my LTE LITE 4/33. The BIOS seems to recognize there is a modem installed but reports "modem state.....Off".
I have Win3.1 on it. Would a modem driver install it before Win boots?

Win reports Com 2 (which the BIOS assigns to the modem) is unavailable or is in use by another device. No luck in finding a driver for it but apparently W95 will use Unimodem for it. With only a 200 meg HD I'd prefer to stay with Win 3.1. Any ideas on how I can enable this 14.4 modem ? Anyone have a driver or info for it ? Its an ApexData 1414 PQI.

Lawrence

Terry Yager said:
Lawrence,

Have you tried serching ftp://compaq.com for the setup/diagnostics disk?

--T

I've searched the HP site and it does have some LTE modem drivers, but they point you to the wonderfully descriptive Compaq format title SP1571 which turns out to be a PCMCIA one which the LTE can't use.

The LTE has a weird slot for its internal modem and even some LTE devotees think that only the Compaq SpeedPAQ is allowed. I'll likely have to install Win95 which uses Unimodem to recognize the ApexData modem. Megahertz and others made modems for it but "14.4.drv" has many different types of drivers available.

I think it's basicly a Rockwell unit but Compaq makes it difficult. There's about a dozen different 14.4 internal drivers but finding the right one is the problem. I'm hoping to get an LTE owner with a working modem to allow me to query him/her. It's kind of a stupid little problem that's more annoying than anything. A faster external modem would likely be better anyways and the LTE only supports a 14.4 in that slot.

Lawrence

What I'm thinking is that mebbe the modem is just disabled in your bios, and you need to run the setup program to turn it on again. I don't have a Compaq portable with an internal modem, so I can't check right now. I just looked at my Concerto, and there is an option to turn off the com port to conserve power. I'm on my way to the store right now, so I'll see if I can't find one of the several LTEs that are there somewhere.

--T

Terry Yager said:
What I'm thinking is that mebbe the modem is just disabled in your bios, and you need to run the setup program to turn it on again. I don't have a Compaq portable with an internal modem, so I can't check right now. I just looked at my Concerto, and there is an option to turn off the com port to conserve power. I'm on my way to the store right now, so I'll see if I can't find one of the several LTEs that are there somewhere.

--T

The BIOS seems to recognize the modem but reports the modem state as "off". The set-up only has 3 choices. "Disable, Com 1, Com 2". No option to change the modem state. I imagine a driver is needed to turn it "on".

Lawrence

Micom 2000 said:
Terry Yager said:

--T

The BIOS seems to recognize the modem but reports the modem state as "off". The set-up only has 3 choices. "Disable, Com 1, Com 2". No option to change the modem state. I imagine a driver is needed to turn it "on".

Lawrence

I don't remember about the Compaq, (my first '486 laptop was an LTE), but I do know that some of Tandy's laptops used a special OEM version of the MODE command to access certain hardware features, including turning the modem on/off. You might try that. Just enter MODE /? to see a list of available commands.

--T

Back