• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Good inventory program to keep track of my DEC parts and stuff

I'm looking for a good inventory program to help me keep track of all of my PDP-8 stuff.

I would like to keep track of physical location, board etch revision, board modification revision, bus type, where used, etc.

If you have any good ideas, please let me know.

I'm using a simple spreadsheet for now and it's not what I'm looking for.

Thank you.
Hi, I have the same issue and requirements so I wrote thinglist.org. Its not good at the minute but I will be pushing changes that make it feature complete and robust soon. I can then ping you to try it out?
THanks

Simon

I use Excel for my inventory which has been quite adequate for my needs. Fields for each item are:
  • serial number in my collection, starting with 1 for the first board. A yellow sticky dot with that number is on every board.
  • DEC part number
  • etch revision
  • ECN of the board
  • DEC option part number
  • Description
  • Purchase date
  • Aquisition date
  • Cost
  • Date of assembly or date code of the youngest IC on the board
  • board status- good, bad, or unknown
  • system number where the board is being used or blank if it's in the spares collection
  • brief description of the present status
  • a column for each of the popular board types so I can easily have a count of how many of each that I have. Types that are tracked this way are: M8300, M8310, M8320, M8330, M8357, M8357'r, G104, G227, G619, G111, G233, G646, RLM-1 (memory board), the front panel boards, 32KW memory board
  • Source
  • name of seller
  • other notes
Usually the list is sorted by "serial number in my collection". I fairly often will sort by DEC part number and look at the quantity of a particular board type to know how much I might need or might not need to purchase a new item.

I use a less rigorous system for tracking PDP-8/L boards but can determine whether a board was an original in the machine or if it came from the spares kit, and whether a board is good or bad or has been repaired.
I'm also using an Excel spreadsheet to track my DEC stuff as well, mainly the boards, with all of the columns, sorting, colour-coding, etc - it makes it really easy. There's over 300 now.

Excel is great for chassis and rack layouts as well.

-Chris

Funny thing about that--I do own a couple of typewiters (IBM Selectric II and III) and occasionally use them--and I'm a lurker on the typewriter group on groups.io. Those folks are serious about manual typewriters. They were the only ones thus far to come up with solid information of the Savin 900 Word Master attachment to a modified Selectric (I received an inquiry about tapes from that).

Back