• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

good text editor for DOS

The editor that comes with MS C 6.0A is OK and can probably be massaged to run TASM instead of MASM.

If it's simple you're after, you might also consider Dave Dunfield's DDSIDE that he supplied with his Micro-C package.

Thanks. Let me try it out.

I use "MS-DOS Editor" (edit.com) that comes right along with DOS. Always have, always will. I even use it to hand-code my websites, making sure to include its name in the "generator" tag of the HTML. ;)

One of the good things about MS-DOS editor is that it handles both Windows and Linux line breaks just fine. Too bad Microsoft never updates it to support long file names and removes it in 64-bit of Windows.

I still can't get used to Vim and Emacs. Too counter-intuitive for me - it's easy to get confused between command mode and edit mode. On Linux/Unix, my favorite editor is still Nano :) If there's a need to make complicated changes, I download the file to my computer, edit using a modern GUI editor, and upload it back :)

MS-DOS Editor 2.0 (shipped with Windows 95 and onward) supports long filenames. You will need a LFN driver if you are using an older version of DOS.

NTVDM doesn't (and can't) exist in 64-bit Windows, so that's why it's removed.

I still can't get used to Vim and Emacs. Too counter-intuitive for me - it's easy to get confused between command mode and edit mode. On Linux/Unix, my favorite editor is still Nano :) If there's a need to make complicated changes, I download the file to my computer, edit using a modern GUI editor, and upload it back :)

vi and emacs make more sense when you use them on a terminal that has no function keys, no cursor movement keys, and no numeric keypad. Try to imagine making an editor for a video terminal that has only typewriter keys plus an Enter key, a Control key and an Escape key. Those are the design constraints that vi and emacs had to work within.

One of the good things about MS-DOS editor is that it handles both Windows and Linux line breaks just fine. Too bad Microsoft never updates it to support long file names and removes it in 64-bit of Windows.

I use vDosPlus on my 64-bit Windows to run MS-DOS Editor. It's more convenient than using DOSBox.

I agree that it's very nice and has a much better default font than DOSBox but I don't see it being any more convenient. I use ProGammaX as a DOSBox frontend and it makes everything a one click operation which is about convenient as it gets.

I would suggest Semware Editor Pro for DOS. You can add menu's, execute commands etc. Not sure if the free trial version has all that stuff in it (macro compiler, etc that allows you to do all the good stuff).

https://www.semware.com/
Just in case: "The SemWare® Editor is now freeware." So one can download the 1997 DOS version 2.50e for free.

Also available are (free) versions for Windows and Linux.

PC Tools is pretty good.

Just in case: "The SemWare® Editor is now freeware." So one can download the 1997 DOS version 2.50e for free.

Also available are (free) versions for Windows and Linux.
Nice, thanks! Our family used its predecessor QEdit (or Q.EXE as I think of it) as our primary text editor when we first got a PC, but once we got MS-DOS 5 I think I just started using its EDIT because I was familiar with it from using QuickBASIC. I didn't use much of QEdit's power but it seems like it could do a lot for something that was only around 50KB in size!

PC Tools is pretty good.
I used lots of other parts of PC Tools, but I don't know that I ever used its editor. Would I be correct in guessing that it wasn't very powerful, but it was easy to use?

I used Edwin a lot back in the 2-disk-drive days. I liked it because it used the Turbo Pascal-like commands (Wordstar?) that I was familiar with and it was small and fast.
Today, for my MS-DOS machines, I use Norton Edit.

There's also the Joe editor for DOS. It's available in many OS flavors. I don't know what the minimum practical system configuration is, but I do use it on DOS, Win32 and Linux.

Back