• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Greetings programs!

Flack

Experienced Member
Greeetings! My name is Rob, but I go by Flack online. Like many of you, I've been a fan of retro computers since before they were considered retro. I was born in '73, and we got our first computer (a TRS-80 Model III) in the fall of 1980. In the mid 80's my parents owned a computer store for a year. Over the years my family and I have owned lots of computers, and I still own most of them (haha).

The three things I mainly collect are console videogames (from Pong to the new stuff), arcade games (yeah, the big ones!) and of course, retro computers. As for the computers, most of my computers are either Apples (II+, IIe, IIc, Franklin Ace 1000, Laser 128, a black Bell and Howell Apple IIe, and a stack-o-Macs) or Commodores (64, 64c, 128, SX64, Amiga 500, Amiga 1200). I also have lots of old PC's lying around, but they're more clutter than a collection at the moment. I also have an Atari 800xl, a Kaypro, and several other odds and ends out in the garage. One thing I'd like to do is eventually own all the computers I *used* to own -- I need a TRS-80 III and a PC Jr. to finish that collection.

Pictures of my consoles, computers and arcade games can be found here: http://www.robohara.com/videogames

I recently contributed several articles to the new O'Reilly book Retro Gaming Hacks (I wrote a few MAME-related articles) and have been published in the Digital Press price guide, 2600: The Hacker's Quarterly, and several other publications. As for websites, I am an admin and a writer for Digital Press, and also write reviews for The Log Book. I also have a blog on LiveJournal and hang out on both the Digital Press forums and Retroputing.org's forums (links in my signature). Also, I ramble a lot.

Anyway, that's me. Looking forward to hanging out here a bit!

vic user said:
i like your avatar too. from the angle, i feel like i am a computer part about to be picked up :)
I just recently got a Treo 650 phone which, among other features, has a much improved camera over my old Palm Zire 72. That was the first picture I took with it, thus the odd angle and the WTF look on my face.

Terry Yager said:
I'm sure you'll fit-in quite well here...'specially if you're nuckin'-futz, like the rest of us.
Anyone who collects the crap I do can't be all right in the head. ;) Looking forward to meeting everyone.

cool

cool

I just recently got a Treo 650 phone which, among other features, has a much improved camera over my old Palm Zire 72. That was the first picture I took with it, thus the odd angle and the WTF look on my face

Cool, be sure to buy several for your friends. ;)

keep my pay cheques coming :)

Flack said:
Anyone who collects the crap I do can't be all right in the head.

I've been a collector (more like a pack-rat) for most of my life. When I look back on some of the stuff I've collected, computers seem to be very close to mainstream (at least these days, with everybody jumping onto the bandwagon). When I started 15 years ago, there were very few computer collectors, or at least, not the network we have available today. Mebbe it's just that we're more visible these days.

--T

Back