• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hey

im_an_alien

Experienced Member
Hi, I recently got a Compaq Portable from my uncle :) No software, or even DOS, so I came here mainly to see if anyone knew where I could get a DOS disk, and also because I was bored :p. This looks like a pretty fun place, though. Anyway, I like programming stuff in general, but I never really properly learned any language... just the basics of java, c++, c, and basic. So... hi...

Perhaps the disk is actually write protected. If not, there may be something wrong with your drive. What type of disks does it need? (What model of Compaq is it?)

--T

They did 5.25 exactly backwards from the way 3.5 drives are done, as far as write protection. Your 5.25 diskette should have a notch on the right right. If the notch is not there or is covered, then it's write protected. Or..... the write protect sensor on the drive could be messed up. A lot of them work with light so when all dusty, they think disk is write protected. Others have a microswitch that detects the notch. You sometimes see a 5.25 disk with a notch on both sides. This is so you can flip the diskette over and use the other side. That is handy if your diskette drive only writes on one side of the diskette.

Back