• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Home Collection Pictures!

dreddnott

Experienced Member
I've been meaning to take pictures of my home collection of PCs for a few years, and I finally got around to it.

This collection does not feature the SX-64, Macintosh 128K or IBM 5150 because I haven't sold them to myself yet. They're still at work, waiting for me to rescue them.

There's a big long story to just about everything in the collection - I've been building it up since I was very young and knew little about antique electronics or vintage computing. If there's anything you want to know or suggestions for what to look for, I'd like to know!

Also, if these images are too low in quality for pleasurable viewing, I can upload larger or higher-quality versions at your discretion.

The full album location is here:
http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g54/dreddnott/vintage/

I'll post some of the choicest pictures inline, if I may:

c64joseph.jpg

My son Joseph is addicted to computer keyboards, whatever they may be attached to. This Commodore 64 appears to be unused, although one of the styrofoam thingies is missing. The manual and accessories appear to be untouched.

8088mobo.jpg

Anybody here recognise this? Not sure what it's from...maybe an IBM PC Jr.?

c64tapedrive.jpg

A beautiful Commodore Datasette tape drive. Never used - nothing to test it with!

odyssey500.jpg

This isn't the only Odyssey I have - I swear I've got a 250 or something like that floating around somewhere (in much worse condition of course).

hddmagnet.jpg

My father swears up and down that he pulled this from an enormous hard disk drive from ye olden days of yore. Apparently it was part of the solenoid that ran the read/write heads.

st251burned.jpg

A testament to the durability of Seagate hard drives in said ye olden days. I threw this drive back in the 386 from storage to back up all of the old data, and because I didn't screw it in it ended up shorting across that trace you see all fried on the bottom there. I saw lots of smoke, moved the drive around until it stopped burning, and continued the backup. It works to this day. The Seagate ST-251 makes quite an interesting noise when you fire it up. I doubt I shall ever forget that wonderful startup clonk or smooth seek sound.

dxy11002.jpg

This is the Roland DXY-1100 plotter I picked up new in box from work. It came with the pens still wrapped in the plastic, chooses betwixt 8 pens automatically and draws flawlessly on glossy A3 paper. I mostly got it for my mom, who programmed plotters in BASIC back in the early 80s on an HP 9830A 32-line desktop calculator (which was hopelessly obsolete at the time). She still has her printout of the program that drew seagulls and clouds, and the plotter output as well!

trs80modeli-levelii.jpg

I could have taken 50 or 60 pictures just of the contents of this steamer trunk, but I ran out of batteries! My uncle's Model I Level II system with every scrap of software, schematics, diagrams, and documentation you could get at the time, plus some 80 Microcomputing issues.

This doesn't include any vintage electronics that aren't specifically computers (vintage calculators, oscilloscopes, tube stuff, etc.) or excessively modern computer equipment (Pentium III and up).

I'll have separate albums up for those in the near future.

A lot of those came along before I started at trueCycle, but I do owe them for a few of the gems I've run across.

Anyways, this is a list of vintage computing items that I own and are at the house:

Apple Macintosh Plus w/keyboard
Apple Macintosh SE w/20MB HDD (bad drive?)
Apple Macintosh SE/30 w/Radius 15-pin monitor expansion port
Commodore 64 in box w/manual and cables
Commodore Datasette tape drive in box
Commodore VIC-1541 5.25" disk drive
Digital DECmate II (two 5.25" disk drives, small monitor, no monitor cable or keyboard, powers up)
IBM 8580 w/several MCA adapters, two HDDs, WFW 3.11
IBM Model M keyboard, 1988, P/N 1391401
IBM AT clone (JS Systems) 286 20MHz, DOS 4.something (Grandma's old PC)
Magnavox Odyssey 500 in box
Morrow Designs Thinker Toys 14" external Winchester HDD (Shugart model 4008 26MB, spins right up)
Panasonic KX-P1124 24-pin Multi-Mode Printer (works)
Quantum QA2020 8" HDD (20MB, SA-1000 interface, good condition)
Roland DXY-1100 Plotter New in Box (8 pens, set up now, works perfectly, parallel/serial)
Seagate ST-251 40MB MFM HDD (old, burned trace, w/controller, works fine, from 386SX/16MHz)
TRS-80 Model I Level II w/green-screen monitor, manuals, many cassettes and diagrams
TRS-80 Model 4 (very dirty at the moment)
TRS-80 Color Computer 16K (dirty)
TRS-80 Color Computer 64K w/Androne game cartridge
TRS-80 Model 2000 HD w/color monitor, ARCnet adapter, no keyboard

Here's a preliminary inventory of the vintage computers I'm keeping at work:

Apple IIe (bare system)
Apple IIgs (bare system)
Apple IIgs (bare system w/memory expansion)
Apple Macintosh 128K (upgraded to 512K, works)
Apple Macintosh Portable (needs a battery!)
Commodore SX-64 Executive Portable Computer (mint condition, boots right up, homemade keyboard cable)
Commodore SX-64 Executive Portable Computer (somewhat dirty, boots right up, missing handle)
Commodore VIC-20 (no accessories, cables, or anything, just bare system)
Commodore VIC-20 (same as above, missing 5 keys)
IBM 5150 (16K-64K board)
IBM 5150 (64K-256K board)
IBM 5150 (64K-256K board)
(many 8-bit ISA expansion boards for the above three systems)
IBM 5151 (two, one is slightly burned in)
IBM Model M keyboards (many, mostly IBM-made, some Lexmark, all in good condition)
IBM RS/6000 J50 with a 7133 disk expansion (12 out of 16 drives - J50's CPU module is apparently nonfunctional)
SGI Indy (133MHz R4600 SC, 96MB RAM, 24-bit XL graphics, 2GB HDD, boots to graphical login)
SGI Indigo (as seen in Jurassic Park - fires up, needs new 3.6V battery on motherboard)
Sun SPARCstation 330 (no picture on monitor)
Sun SPARCstation 4 (untested)

I'll be editing the above list a bit tomorrow at work when I remember the rest of the stuff I've squirreled away.

InForms 1.0 BETA

InForms 1.0 BETA

I believe I have a one of a kind.

WordPerfect Developed a product called InForms. I got an NFR copy back in 91' or 92 before its commercial release. (It's marked NFR on box). It was sent to me as a Beta. It's a windows 3.1 and 3.11 form software and I know it works with Paradox and Dbase but I never installed it.

Does anyone have any experience with it?

Bring the Portable back to life

Bring the Portable back to life

Apple Macintosh Portable (needs a battery!)

Just in case you don't find a working battery ... and by now you probably won't ... chop the top off the present one with a Dremel cutting tool. Replace the cells inside with "X" cells (Batteries Plus carries them, or did the last time I checked, although they are indeed pricey), do some obvious soldering, and tape the top back on again, charge them up, and you're back in business. However, DON'T forget to recharge the battery unit often, say every 2-3 weeks, or you'll lose them again. You can also try to charge supposedly dead cells with an auto battery charger switched to 6 volts and the lowest amp setting; works on some battery packs if they are completely dead (and frankly, most of them are by now). Another solution is to use a wall wart from a Powerbook 100 to power the Portable, should you be lucky enough to have one.

Yes, the Portable is one of my very favorite old Macs. What other computer can you use in direct bright sunlight (at least the original, non-backlit version you can)! Furthermore, if it's running System 6.0.8 it boots up in about 6-7 seconds. You gotta love that!

amazing collection you got there! that ST-251 hard drive caught my eye in particular. i have that same model right here next to me, that was pulled out of a 286 machine my friend gave me. i plan to eventually buy an 8-bit ISA MFM drive controller and put it in my 8088. i'd use IDE, but prices on 8-bit IDE controllers are SO expensive.

just out of curiosity, what kind of condition is yours in? have you run into any bad sectors on it or anything like that? i know these drives are 20+ years old now.

I think it's got a few bad sectors on it, maybe only a few more than when we bought it (old drives came with a hard error map).

I did manage to recover all of my old files even with setting that drive on fire!

I think it's got a few bad sectors on it, maybe only a few more than when we bought it (old drives came with a hard error map).

I did manage to recover all of my old files even with setting that drive on fire!

yeah, mines got a little sticker on the top of it that says "error map st251"

i have no idea who originally owned the computer mine was in, but when i first plugged it in after getting it and going through the files i found a nice little directory full of guitar tab files! :D

there were about 250 or so tabs in the dir. that was a nifty little surprise.

Roland DXY-1100 plotter

Roland DXY-1100 plotter

I would like to know this plotter still available to buy.
I want to buy this plotter.
need price and how to proceed, contact name...ect
thanks
chunliz

Back