• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How do you name your computers?

Yes, any system I want to network via Windows or Samba has to be named. That means any system that I might want to update from networked software. Originally, I name them for their hardware platform (iMacG3) or, if they are generic clones, for their purpose or location (Benchtop).

As the collection has grown, and as different systems have been upgraded with bigger hard drives and newer operating systems, I keep old installations on the replaced HDDs, so I am accumulating more "systems" than "computers".

Some of these systems, like an old Win98 installation and a MacOS 7 system, exist only on HDDs and might be plugged into different motherboards in different cases, depending what I am fooling with. I also have various Linux systems on USB sticks or USB HDDs, that might boot on any machine. So the network name needs to tell me what the software system is, not the hardware platform. New installation, new name. It's not very sentimental, sorry, but I just need to keep track of what I am doing.

The Windows SMB convention lets you nominate both "name" and "description" in different setup fields, but I never seem to be able to rely on which field will turn up as the network name in a Samba or Apple network discovery. I try to make them both distinctive - probably they should both be the same for sake of simplicity.

I used to name all of mine CNXX (CN01, CN02) for CREEPING NET 1, CREEPING NET 2....etc, but once I got beyond 10 PC's, this became a problem, so I started having to separate out....

I had 2 Macs, those became CNMAC1 and CNMAC2
I had 2 Compaq Deskpros, Those became CNDP286 and CNDP386 respectively
I had 2 Kingspao case machines, one was named FLIGHT386, the other CNET386
I had FIVE laptops, those became CNJR1-5, and CNJR286 for the Zenith SuperSport....

Out of that, I now just call em' random stuff...usually based upon what they are, like most of the Dells in the house have DELL in the name, I'm still using CNXT for the name for the XT as I built it, and some ar ejust hte brand and CPU stuck together like GEM286 or CAT486.

Back